Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing KLM or AF in Biz Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:17 pm
mlm
Original Poster

Choosing KLM or AF in Biz Class?

Flying from JNB to LAX in 2018. I can choose KLM or AF. I plan to do a layover not to exceed 24 hours. Whether I stop over in Amsterdam or Paris makes no difference since I'll stay at a airport hotel and not go into the city. Either way, I plan to credit the miles to my Delta Skymiles account.

AF flights involve A380-800 and KLM involve 777 and 747(as far as I know). The $ fare is similar.

Are the seats and IFE better in one aircraft over another ?

Thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Why not taking one airline inbound and the other one outbound ?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Why not taking one airline inbound and the other one outbound ?
+1

Last edited by Ditto; Jul 28, 2017 at 1:03 am Reason: Just re-read the topic :D
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mlm
AF flights involve A380-800 and KLM involve 777 and 747(as far as I know). The $ fare is similar.
Thank you.
I'm assuming from your subject you'll be flying in Business.

Avoid A380 biz with AF - angle lie and not flat bed seat, in 2-2-2 configuration.
777 w/KLM has 2-2-2 configuration as well, but it's flat bed.
747 has a similar hard product (flat bed). Biz is both on nose and upper floor; For nose, I definitely suggest seat 1A which has aisle access. Upper floor is pretty cool, configuration is 2-2.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Andy82
Avoid A380 biz with AF - angle lie and not flat bed seat, in 2-2-2 configuration.
I would take that over the KL seats with the limited foot rest space.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:46 am
mlm
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm leaning toward KLM with an overnight in AMS. I really want lie flat seats. As for flying in on one and out on another, this would require a change of airport and I'm not interested in that.

I know there's hotels close to AMS airport offering a free shuttle bus. I'm not sure if there is as well in Paris CDG ?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by mlm
Thank you. I'm leaning toward KLM with an overnight in AMS. I really want lie flat seats. As for flying in on one and out on another, this would require a change of airport and I'm not interested in that.
why would it require an airport change?
BTW, I will take AF NEV4/NEV3 everyday instead of most KL seats with the small leg rest for a night flight.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I would take KL flat bed over NEV4 anytime.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:33 pm
mlm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
why would it require an airport change?
BTW, I will take AF NEV4/NEV3 everyday instead of most KL seats with the small leg rest for a night flight.
My Previous business class flight on KLM had a 180 lay flat seat so not sure what you mean? I haven't booked any return flight yet.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by mlm
My Previous business class flight on KLM had a 180 lay flat seat so not sure what you mean? I haven't booked any return flight yet.
They are lie flats, yes, but unless you are in row 1 or any other "bulkhead" seat, the foot rest is very small...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Do an upper deck 747 on KLM, private cabin with it's full own kitchen/service. (downstairs is shared with economy)

They're going to be gone in 1-2 years with 777 and 787's replacing those huge planes, worth it if you've never flown that.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I would never recommend AF's old angle-flat seats over KL's current lie-flat, whether or not you find the footwell small or not. The seats are a massive improvement in comfort. I'm a big guy (nearly 6' 3") and I am fine in the KL seats. AF380s? Forget about it.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wunk
Do an upper deck 747 on KLM, private cabin with it's full own kitchen/service. (downstairs is shared with economy)
The cabin in the nose is just as private, with its own FA. The downstairs galley also serves the upper deck in part. It's only the toilets you risk sharing with economy, if they are not properly policed.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.