Wiki Posts
Search

LYS Flight Connections?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
LYS Flight Connections?

The family and I are making a connection at Lyon next Sunday - arriving from Amsterdam on KLM and then a 2 hour layover for a HOP flight to Biarritz. Is there a "flight connections" option at LYS or do we have to "arrive" and re-clear security to get to our HOP flight?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by tmolam
The family and I are making a connection at Lyon next Sunday - arriving from Amsterdam on KLM and then a 2 hour layover for a HOP flight to Biarritz. Is there a "flight connections" option at LYS or do we have to "arrive" and re-clear security to get to our HOP flight?
No problem you will/can stair airside for your connection.
And welcome to FT, by the way!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by tmolam
Because of the state of emergency, you will likely have to go through passport control.

You then could access the departure area without having to go through security.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Because of the state of emergency, you will likely have to go through passport control.

You then could access the departure area without having to go through security.
Is there any clarity as to when they are checking passports for intra-Schengen flights or is it random or intelligence based? Last year flew in to TLN and was surprised to find passport control, this year flew in to MPL passport ready but no check.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by AJCNL
Is there any clarity as to when they are checking passports for intra-Schengen flights or is it random or intelligence based? Last year flew in to TLN and was surprised to find passport control, this year flew in to MPL passport ready but no check.
According to my experience, it seems to be random. Sometimes, it can be quite time consuming.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
According to my experience, it seems to be random. Sometimes, it can be quite time consuming.
I confirm both points. Last time I flew to LYS (from AMS), there was a passport control on arrival, single booth open and it took forever
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I confirm both points. Last time I flew to LYS (from AMS), there was a passport control on arrival, single booth open and it took forever
Indeed at TLN it was a very thorough check, the last ones off the flight were queuing in the sun for quite a while. I enter France via a quiet road crossing every couple of weeks, there have never been any checks.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by AJCNL
I enter France via a quiet road crossing every couple of weeks, there have never been any checks.
That is correct. I do the same.

This passport control is only about posturing.

Unfortunately, many people believe that a new Maginot line is a good thing to protect the country.

It will require guts for the president to put an end to this nonsense.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:04 pm

I can't tell for AF since they have a little hub operation there which allow short connections, but when you arrive on LH in LYS (and also to MRS for the matter) and also depart from there, you are directed to non schengen arrivals and everyone needs to pass passport control, this has been like that since 2 years or so. NO EXCEPTIONS. Usually they are completely surpassed by the amount of passengers and waiting more than 30 minutes is rather the rule than the exception (at least when I was there). Of course no priority line and no pity for families with babies or so. And if you friendly explain to the officer that you are suprised they are still only 2 or 3 guys after 2 years of this state and that this is pretty chaotic and waits way to long they basically tell you don't speak to me but send an email to the boss of the prefecture, I do not care...

Marseille has actually been redesigned to have additional booths on departure to the regular Schengen departure.

So I wouldn't be surprised everyone in LYS needs to pass passport control, but maybe they do exceptions for the AF hub operations to not too much disrupt operations with these 30 minutes connections that are offered there.

With MRS and LYS (at least partially) built to be able to redirect everyone to non schengen arrivals if needed (no real transfer airside area), in Paris Terminal 2F it seems different. There the last time I have been there they send officers to the gangway of arriving aircrafts (I believe more or less randomly). The terminal however is actually segregating departing and arriving passengers on a couple of hundred meters, so in theory they could have added central passport check points there as well, but I am unsure if in practice they did it, because with the amount of arrivals in 2F they would be compeltely overwhelmt if they add a couple of booths.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Reifel
(...).
Sorry for the mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.