Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New sky priority member - how are old bookings handled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum, IHG: Spire, SIXT: Platinum

Hello people,

Still quite new to this forum, so please excuse if this has been asked before - I did not find anything.
I recently became a gold member of FB and appreciate the lounge access very much.
However, I still have some open flights I booked as a silver member. Now I just checked in for my flight tomorrow and I do not have the sky priority logo on my BP. Will I still be able to enter the lounge?
I mean I am a gold member, but my flight was booked while I was silver.

(Especially tomorrow is important because they announced already some strikes in Italy and I'd rather wait in the lounge than at a packed gate)

thanks for your help!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nusse
Hello people,

Still quite new to this forum, so please excuse if this has been asked before - I did not find anything.
I recently became a gold member of FB and appreciate the lounge access very much.
However, I still have some open flights I booked as a silver member. Now I just checked in for my flight tomorrow and I do not have the sky priority logo on my BP. Will I still be able to enter the lounge?
I mean I am a gold member, but my flight was booked while I was silver.

(Especially tomorrow is important because they announced already some strikes in Italy and I'd rather wait in the lounge than at a packed gate)

thanks for your help!
Yes, the old status usually "sticks" notwithstanding later changes in status. The best thing to do to avoid that when changing status is to remove the FB number from the reservation and re-enter it. You can try doing that when you get to the airport by going to the check-in desk. Not 100% sure whether it will work if you are already checked-in but worth a try.
If you do not want to have your BP changed, you will be able to enter the lounge by showing your physical Gold card, assuming you have it with you. If you do not have it, then it gets trickier: you might be OK in a lounge with is a genuine Air France or KLM lounge as they should be able to look it up but you might have problems with third party lounges or more generally non-AF/KL lounges.
I strongly advise you to go to check-in to get the BP re-issued with the right status. It will, in any event, be useful to use priority security.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by NickB
If you do not want to have your BP changed, you will be able to enter the lounge by showing your physical Gold card, assuming you have it with you.
You can print the card from the website.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
SkyPriority has nothing to do with lounge access.

You should always carry your status card (physical or electronic format) as this trumps any other indication of status and the lounge agents always prefer to see it. You should get into the habit of handing it over with your boarding pass.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the quick and extensive answers.

Somehow my boarding pass updated itself and now has the sky priority logo, but still states silver. Therefore it worked out without any problems.
I wonder (and will report) how it will be for the remaining flights I booked as silver member.

Thanks for advising to bring the physical card. General question: the digital card that I store in my Apple Wallet is not sufficient?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: FB Plat
At BHX airport, I needed both my pass and my physical card (to be passed in a card scanning system) in order to enter the third-party lounge. If you have an airport change between Paris' ORY and CDG airport, you need to show your gold card to Le Bus Direct's driver in order to change for free.

Just a few cases where the physical card is actually required. As stated before, your digital card should be enough for AF/KLM genuine lounges.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
(...) Just a few cases where the physical card is actually required. As stated before, your digital card should be enough for AF/KLM genuine lounges.
What is a digital card?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
What is a digital card?
the one stored in the smartphone apps, and that you can export to Passbook for iOS devices
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
the one stored in the smartphone apps, and that you can export to Passbook for iOS devices
Only using the Air France app, if anyone's looking through the KLM app wondering where to get that.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:30 pm
formerly maskelo

you can always bring your card/copy of the card/ff number to the lounge and they will be able to check and let you in
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Yes I actually added the FB card from the air France app to my apple wallet.
Just FYI: my boarding passes all show the sky priority logo but still state "silver" as member status. It however hasn't been a problem to use any of the advantages as a gold member.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
When you change status, previous bookings need to have the FF number removed and readded in order to reflect your new status.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by nusse
(...) Just FYI: my boarding passes all show the sky priority logo but still state "silver" as member status. It however hasn't been a problem to use any of the advantages as a gold member.
The risk in this case is that the bonus miles will not be the gold ones.

Then in case of irrop, the system might not put you up with the golds in the priority list neither, but down with the silvers.

If you had done as suggested above (remove the FF number and then add it again), you would have had all your ducklings aligned with certainty.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: FB Plat
You can just get in touch with them via Facebook and ask them to update all your bookings. I just did the same as I also just made Gold.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
And btw, it also works the other way - my colleague was recently 'downgraded' to Silver (from Gold), and all his old bookings still had a SkyPriority logo on the boarding passes. No problem to get through priority security, and into lounges (seen it first hand at Schiphol)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.