Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles or Flying Blue?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by urww
hotturnip, well if you're choosing based on redemptions, then you just need to check award prices, taxes and availability on the routes you're interested in and decide for yourself.

If mainly your miles will be coming from Chase and Amex I believe you would better stick with Delta. Though:
1. FlyingBlue awards cheaper from the US to Europe, Caribbean.
2. FlyingBlue adds 'fuel' scam charges, so if you are to take Air France from Atlanta to Paris and back you would pay 60,000 miles in Y + approx $50 redeeming SkyMiles or 50,000 miles + approx $200 redeeming FlyingBlue.
3. FlyingBlue doesn't add fuel charges for Delta direct flights from the US to Europe (so if you'll be flying Delta from Atlanta to Paris you'll be paying 25,000 miles + $20 redeeming FlyingBlue or 30,0000 + $5.60 redeeming SkyMiles).
4. Availability on AF and KL is much better with FlyingBlue.
5. Domestic redemptions are much better with SkyMiles (expect to pay 5,000/5,500/7,500/9,000/11,000/12,500 miles per one-way with SkyMiles while with FlyingBlue that will be always 12,500 miles or no seats)
6. FlyingBlue allows 1 stopover and a way more relaxed routing rules.

Think what works better for you in terms of awards you're going to be redeeming for.
You can't redeem Chase points to Skymiles, only to FB. Thus my dilemma. Also, while I'm sure I don't have your experience, I have never seen one-way domestic trips on DL for under 12,500 miles. Ever.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
A bit delayed response, hope it could still help.

Originally Posted by hotturnip
So now 2 people have chimed in that you have to earn actual miles with FB. What's the story behind this? Is there a thread somewhere about people having their accounts canceled?
I wouldn't take this into account too seriously. If you're not going to abuse the program nothing should/will happen. I saw those reports on the mentioned blogs, though I believe there is a lot more to be told from those affected. I can't imagine FB closing accounts just because someone signed up, transferred miles from a partner bank and book an award for him/herself or family member. There must be something. Even in case that happened (which, again, I doubt) you can always reach FB to settle that.

If you can credit a single shortest flight on any partner to FB then it's even better.

Actually Delta also does this scam for tickets originating in Europe.
Of course they do. Though as I can assume hotturnip resides in the US that wouldn't bother him much. In general carrier-imposed scam charges on TATL are following:
SkyMiles - DL flights, tickets originating US - no charges
SkyMiles - DL flights, tickets originating Europe - heavy charges
SkyMiles - AFKL flights, tickets originating US - no charges
SkyMiles - AFKL flights, tickets originating Europe - heavy charges
FlyingBlue - AFKL flights, tickets originating US - mild (Y) to heavy (W, J, F) charges
FlyingBlue - AFKL flights, tickets originating Europe - mild (Y) to heavy (W, J, F) charges
FlyingBlue - DL flights, tickets originating US - almost no charges (in $20-50 range)
FlyingBlue - DL flights, tickets originating Europe - heavy charges

You can't redeem Chase points to Skymiles, only to FB. Thus my dilemma
Then you don't really have dilemma I guess . If you main course of miles if Chase and you can only dock your miles at FB. Btw, in general, maybe you should also have a look on other Chase transfer partners. I don't know your needs (and not an expert in Chase program) of course but check Korean Air SKYPASS out. They used to have incredible value rewards for travel between the US and Europe, Hawaii, South America and Asia. Awards in premium cabins should be much cheaper than those at FlyingBlue or SkyMiles. You can also go long but very rewarding way around: transfer your Chase points to BA, then transfer you BA miles to Iberia miles (1:1) and finally book an award. Iberia offers unheard value redemptions on its own metal. You often can book a business class ticket from the East Coast to Madrid for 25,000 miles and low taxes (like 50-100 eur), sometimes even less. Yep, I'm not kidding.

I have never seen one-way domestic trips on DL for under 12,500 miles. Ever.
Just have a look, there are so many of them. It's tough to say how DL decides what to charge. You would assume it should depend on a cash price of a ticket, though doesn't seem like that. Last year I redeemed 5500 miles for a ticket that otherwise cost $400.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 17.31.23.png
Views: 4285
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 17.31.40.png
Views: 4264
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 17.32.18.png
Views: 4248
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 17.33.33.png
Views: 4225
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 17.34.22.png
Views: 4227
Size:  84.7 KB
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended

What is FB award availability for TATL Delta flights in J? I am considering switching from Skymiles to FB, for similar reasons as hotturnip. My favourite route is BOS-AMS.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What is FB award availability for TATL Delta flights in J?
Normally it should match SkyMiles lowest level availability for DL flights. Except maybe for glitches it's in fact like that. So you shouldn't notice any difference, just price decrease. However of course you won't be able to book an award on DL flights BOS-AMS-BOS using FB miles with any kind of discount (always 62500 miles each way). I mean those SkyMiles premium cabin sales for DL operated TATL flights that happen once in a while. You'll be able to book discounted tickets on AFKL own flights within Promo Awards though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.