Search

Status benefits - AF operated by CityJet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Status benefits - AF operated by CityJet

Hi all,

I have Alitalia Freccio Alata Plus status. I'm looking at booking an ORY-LCY flight, code AF but operated by CityJet. Would I get lounge access courtesy of my SkyTeam status? I'm usually on OW so excuse my innocence.

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
CityJet is not a Skyteam airline so, under Skyteam rules, you are not entitled to lounge access.

That said, as the lounge is AF operated, it is worth trying and they may let you in.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
For what it worth, I flew on CityJet under AF code from DUB to LCY and I had lounge access in DUB so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to access the lounge in ORY.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
For what it worth, I flew on CityJet under AF code from DUB to LCY and I had lounge access in DUB so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to access the lounge in ORY.
It's different because you are holding AF issued ticket, AF gold with code share non ST flight, that always entitles you to get into the lounge even with LX, OS or other alliance's code share partners.

What OP asks is: AF issued ticket, Skyteam Elite Plus, with code share non ST flight, that is, theoretically, not entitles any lounge access nor any elite plus benefits.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mirk
Flying Blue elite plus on an AF-coded flight always gets lounge access (where lounges are provided, and subject to any other exception).

This is a Flying Blue benefit - it does not rely on Skyteam agreements.

The OP is a Millemiglia Freccia Alata Plus. Therefore, they cannot rely on Flying Blue benefits - they rely on Skyteam benefits. Skyteam requires that both the operator and the marketer of the flight are Skyteam. This is not the case, as although it was booked with an AF code (and is therefore a Skyteam-marketed flight) it is not operated by a Skyteam airline.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tbaiyun
It's different because you are holding AF issued ticket, AF gold with code share non ST flight, that always entitles you to get into the lounge even with LX, OS or other alliance's code share partners.

What OP asks is: AF issued ticket, Skyteam Elite Plus, with code share non ST flight, that is, theoretically, not entitles any lounge access nor any elite plus benefits.
I flew Dub-CDG last year on an AF-coded ticket. As a FB gold member, I was able to access the lounge without problems and in fact, Cityjet took the liberty of giving me an upgrade to business 😊
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
I flew Dub-CDG last year on an AF-coded ticket. As a FB gold member, I was able to access the lounge without problems and in fact, Cityjet took the liberty of giving me an upgrade to business 😊
You have access as per the terms of the Flying Blue programme.

The OP is not a Flying Blue member. They are an Alitalia Millemiglia member. As such, lounge access is governed by Skyteam access rules. CityJet is not a Skyteam airline and therefore Skyteam lounge access rules can not apply to flights it operates.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You have access as per the terms of the Flying Blue programme.

The OP is not a Flying Blue member. They are an Alitalia Millemiglia member. As such, lounge access is governed by Skyteam access rules. CityJet is not a Skyteam airline and therefore Skyteam lounge access rules can not apply to flights it operates.
Right! Perhaps the OP may still be able to access the lounge by showing the Alitalia card and arguing that the flight is AF-coded etc? I don't know, but maybe there is a grey area here as CityJet is effectively still closely linked to AF.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Right! Perhaps the OP may still be able to access the lounge by showing the Alitalia card and arguing that the flight is AF-coded etc? I don't know, but maybe there is a grey area here as CityJet is effectively still closely linked to AF.
Policy is clear enough from skyteam:

SkyTeam Elite Plus

Regardless of their travel class, SkyTeam Elite Plus members traveling on, or connecting to/from, a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline have access to a lounge. Lounge access will be provided only at your departure airport and transfer airports, and not on arrival. For connecting customers, both the domestic and international flights must be operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your boarding passes and a valid Elite Plus membership card for the lounge agent to validate for admission.

If OP is a AZ elite plus, booked ticket from AF, flight operated by WX, he will not match the condition that the flight is "operated by Skyteam" since Cityjet is no longer a subsidiary of AF.

In your case, when you are a Flying Blue elite plus, you will apply the rule here when travelling with WX flight ticketed by AF:
http://www.airfrance.ca/CA/fr/common...partenaire.htm

Of course, I don't deny the chance is there that OP may show his AZ card to enter AF's lounge in ORY.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I believe OP have good chances to enter the Hall 3 lounge in ORY with the AZ status card, even if the cautious attitude of some other posters is fully justified (Skyteam rules). Indeed, I was very recently admitted in this lounge with a WX-coded ticket to LCY. But I was kindly admitted as a courtesy as a FB Platinum member. (normally, I shouldn't have been admitted).
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
I often fly the LCY and DUB routes.

For once my experiences have been very consistent -
AF Code - Always have access
WX Code - Never have access

I'm always very careful to override my companies internet booking tool to make sure I have the AF code... So I have not flown on a WX code in a while - I realise the relationship is changing.

As AZ on a non-Skyteam operated flight, it would make sense that you get Zero miles though...
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Check also if cityjet is selling the flight under its own code. If they do, then indeed it is not operated by skyteam. If they operate the flight but don't sell it, it is certainly a lease agreement meaning that the flight is like a skyteam flight for the system, it is "operated by cityjet for airfrance".
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So we are going to London for new years and I booked WX flights AMS-LCY. For myself I booked a roundtrip with KL-flight numbers, for the gf I booked directly with WX as she only needed one-way (Which KLM could not issue for a reasonable price).

At the time I thought that this would be a perfect solution, however I now realise that while I will have lounge access...she may not as WX is not part of Skyteam. Would I have chances to guest her into the lounge when I hold a KL ticket, and she a WX ticket (for the same flight)?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
So we are going to London for new years and I booked WX flights AMS-LCY. For myself I booked a roundtrip with KL-flight numbers, for the gf I booked directly with WX as she only needed one-way (Which KLM could not issue for a reasonable price).

At the time I thought that this would be a perfect solution, however I now realise that while I will have lounge access...she may not as WX is not part of Skyteam. Would I have chances to guest her into the lounge when I hold a KL ticket, and she a WX ticket (for the same flight)?
normally not, but I believe you have good chances. At least, you have nothing to loose to try.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
Apparently Flying Blue benefits on Cityjet (on an AF ticket) don't extend to being told when my Christmas Eve flight from LCY to DUB was cancelled (apparently quite some time ago), though, so keep an eye on your flights for cancellations, as I'm not going to be trusting the level of communication for these flights any more.

I'll probably still book them as they're very convenient, but with a weekly reminder in my diary to check that they haven't fallen off the screen between booking and travel.

AF's solution of an LCY-ORY-CDG-DUB roundtrip wasn't exactly appealing on Christmas eve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.