Search

Which American Express Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by bodory
No worries.

Thanks for the heads up.

Their IT will never cease to amaze me...
I don't know if it's IT.
Looks to me like someone mixed up the request and input schlegfrs daughter as his spouse (for the 2nd FB Plat benefit) but she wasn't stripped of her status after the mistake was realized.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:18 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I don't know if it's IT.
Looks to me like someone mixed up the request and input schlegfrs daughter as his spouse (for the 2nd FB Plat benefit) but she wasn't stripped of her status after the mistake was realized.
I don't think they can, as after you are disconnected from platinum for 2 you drop down 1 level per year (regular soft landing rules apply), assuming you make at least 1 qualifying flight.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'm sure it must be technically possible, but that really is beyond the point.

At worst, we can just assume Amex and FB are showing goodwill owning up to their own mistake and letting it slide.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by sbams
I am accumulating millions of miles because I can not afford to use them and risk not maintaining status..
I can use them!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I can use them!
Haha, I was about to say "that applies to my situation too" but then I saw it was my own comment.

Unless you want to become my new partner - and do some serious negotiating with my present one - then we have a solution for using them. A couple more years to PFL and then I will be cashing in.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
(...) A couple more years to PFL and then I will be cashing in.
Why wait to be PFL to start using your millions of miles?

The more you wait, the higher the risk of a sudden devaluation of the value of the miles.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:04 am

A couple more years to PFL and then I will be cashing in.
If you really have millions of miles, I don't see how you are not yet a (virtual) PFL?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Ditto
If you really have millions of miles, I don't see how you are not yet a (virtual) PFL?
Award miles (accrued with Amex) don't count for PFL qualification.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Award miles (accrued with Amex) don't count for PFL qualification.
I suppose that's possible, if you spend hundreds of thousands yearly on your Amex and not buy any AF/KL tickets with them.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
OK, one-and-a half million at the moment, but that is of course Award Miles and not Level. I do not do any business flying any more so it's all out of my pocket and I calculate wisely. I have qualified for Plat for 2018 and 19 already but will still need a couple of more years after that.

Of course I am aware of the devaluation issue (and now making the most of redeeming for my partner, who has 2-for-1 Platinum status) but just incase I have a year of flying less I don't want to take the risk of using miles to buy award tickets until I have reached the finish line.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum, IHG: Spire, SIXT: Platinum
Originally Posted by newflyer27
i received the offer below from AMEX offering 50000 miles for moving from AF-KL gold AMEX to Platinum one! the offer says it is only for people who never had platinum card before! ( surprisingly i received it while i had the platinum a year ago)

i don't know if it works for everyone or just the ones who received the offer.
Yesterday I received a similar offer at AMS but with just 30k miles. Worth a call/negotiation? You are probably using the French AMEX and not the Dutch?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by nusse
Yesterday I received a similar offer at AMS but with just 30k miles. Worth a call/negotiation? You are probably using the French AMEX and not the Dutch?
30K used to be the standard offer on the Dutch Amex website, it is now down to 25K though
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by schlegfr
Wrong! I really mean the Gold FB status card.

Here is what happened : my daughter turned 18 in August 2016 and I ordered an AMEX FB Gold card for her. Some time later, she received a Platinum AMEX FB card AND a Platinumn FB status card ()
I immediately called AMEX and they told me they made a mistake, believing I ordered a Platinum AMEX instead of a Gold. They fixed the situation and my daughter got the Gold AMEX a few days later (and I was not charged for the extra Platinum). However, she kept her Platinum FB status card and in March 2017, she received a Gold FB status card. Hence my comment in my post.

Being an LTPE enabled my wife to get a Platinum FB status card when I ordered an AMEX FB Plat for her. Year after year, she received a new Platinum FB status card. So when my daughter got the Gold FB status card in March, I was not surprised as I thought that what was working with Platinum AMEX was also working for Gold AMEX.

Now, after reading your various comments, I realized my assumption was wrong. After some thoughts in this topic, I belive that my daughter's situation is very likely an exception due to the original AMEX Platinum glitch. And the Gold FB status card she received is due to the "soft landing" because she got the Platinum FB status card by mistake and has been recorded in FB info systems as such. If I am right, she will get a Silver FB status card next year.

My apologies if I raised some false hopes here.

Fred
Soft landing (and IT glitch) confirmed : my daughter gets down to Silver from April 1st onwards.

Fred
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schlegfr
Soft landing (and IT glitch) confirmed : my daughter gets down to Silver from April 1st onwards.

Fred
That's interesting. It would mean that if we decided the change the beneficiary of the extra Amex Plat and the extra Plat status, the previous beneficiary would soft-land back to ivory within the next 3 years.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
That's interesting. It would mean that if we decided the change the beneficiary of the extra Amex Plat and the extra Plat status, the previous beneficiary would soft-land back to ivory within the next 3 years.
or even sooner, if no level-mileage activity is recorded during any membership year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.