Wiki Posts
Search

baggage allowance anomaly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: flying blue, baec
baggage allowance anomaly

Just wondered if anyone could clarify the correct amount of baggage allowance for the following:
Award flight booking MIA - EDI business class 2 passengers 1st passenger platinum 2nd passenger ivory.
We did this last week and on our online booking it said for each passenger - 2 pieces of checked baggage plus 1.
On our email confirmation it said 2 pieces of checked baggage each and if you are Flying Blue Silver, gold or platinum member, you can transport 1 additional bag.
We have travelled before together and I have always been given the extra allowance as I am on the same booking as my husband. This is the first time we have checked in and been told that only my husband gets the extra bag. I would have accepted that had it not said on the booking online 1 extra bag each.
Which is right?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The extra bag is a status benefit and only should be accorded to the person holding status.

Ivories do not get an extra bag.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:32 pm

Did you ever actually checked in 3 bags as an ivory? Along with another 3 bags that your husband checked in?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: flying blue, baec
Yes we have on previous occasions. As I said, it says 2 + 1 pieces on the reservation on the system for both my husband and myself and we were given to understand that because the booking was made in my husband's name, we both got the extra allowance. It has never been queried before and I have never noticed that it says different amounts on the manage my booking reservation as opposed to the confirmation email.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Is it with KLM ?
On award tickets with KLM, you get some benefits if someone Platinum or Gold takes the ticket with his account.
For example if a platinum book a ticket for an ivory, the ivory will get an extra luggage, free EC seat and even have SkyP on his boarding pass.

So if you booked business, likely you will be allowed 3 bags
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
How many bags do you need for goodness sake? I once had a reservation which said I could check in 63 bags (instead of 63kg I think) but I was fine with one.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
In my case as FB Gold I must say, that sometimes the booking online shows a different kind of luggage numbers then I can actually have. In Europe I can fly with two pieces, one is free for gold, one is a bonus. Sometimes it shows on KLM 0, 2 or also 3. There is an IT problem,I assume.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbams
How many bags do you need for goodness sake?
That really depends on the purpose of your travel, nobody said a bag is necessarily a 32kg fully loaded suit case, examples:
1. When travelling on business to a conference, one might have to take a company banner and a bag full of marketing materials/give aways , add one personal suit case and you are at 3
2. When going with sports equipment, e.g. a ski bag/golf bag/diving equipment etc. you are already at 2 bags
3. When relocating and moving with only "personal stuff" (i.e. no furniture etc.), you can easily need more than 3 suit cases (even paying 160€ for an extra suitcase can be cheaper than international shipping of a 20kg box some times)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Ah! As you said it is an award booking, then assuming that the Platinum status holder made the booking, everyone on the reservation will get the 2 bags (business class) plus 1 bag (Platinum status).

It's a quirk of the FB booking tool that anyone travelling on the journey "assumes" the status benefits of the person making the booking, even if that person is not even travelling.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Flying blue
I booked 3 award tickets recently, 2 were for non-flyingblue people. The booking and checkin listed 2 bags at 23kg each and 10kg hand luggage. Bit of a bug and a half that tells us we can take 160+ kg of luggage on the plane.

Last edited by vexorg; Jun 12, 2016 at 3:13 am
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: GHA & Hilton Gold, LHW member, FB Silver, AB & BA Ruby, EY & AZ Gold (Freccia Alata), TK Gold
I second Bjotr I guess.

Today I (FB Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata) checked in in Schiphol for an AMS-FLR flight with my partner (FB Ivory) on KLM metal.

I checked in online on the KLM site and I had to input my FB FF# since the system did not let me input my AZ FF#. After checking in, my printed online reservation said: partner 0, me 2 pieces of luggage.

But: ground staff at checkin desk could not see this info. She only had the info published also somewhere else on the web, and saying: FB Silver = one extra bag. Since the fare allowed 0 - she reasoned - pax is allowed 1 checked-in bag.

I objected, showed her the printout saying two pieces and Silver status, she calls a colleague who could access additional system info than she did, colleague says: 'well if pax has two bags then let them check two bags.'

I asked: what shall I do next time to have no discussion, perhaps call in advance and let them add a note to the PNR? 'Well yeah you could try that I guess'.

Conclusions: it is unclear - or at least unclear to ground staff - how many bags you can check in with status on an intro-EU flight on a fare with 0 bag allowance.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: Flying blue
I had similar on the time before trip, I had 2 check in pieces, allowed 2 pieces. At the check in desk they claimed my ticket only allowed 1 piece. For some reason in the UK, the extra baggage due to flying blue doesn't show up, and they needed a supervisor to authorise it. I've been travelling the same way for years and this was a first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.