Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoid Flying Blue Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: Far too many
Transferred miles expire when?

I have a small surplus of FB miles obtained from transferring from amex for a flight.

They expire 20 months from deposit unless extended by a paid flight or use of their specific card, correct?

Any uses for them?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The "Spend Miles" section of the Flying Blue website shows you every possible use.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
1. Is expiration date shown online? I'm logged into flyingblue.com and on dashboard. Don't see expiration date as Ivory.
2. Also by expiry due to no level miles in 20 months, do they mean expiry of miles that have been there for 20 months or even expiry of miles transferred in last month?
3. Anybody tried redeeming award and then subsequently cancelling award and redeposit? Do those miles expire on original schedule or does that reset the 20-month clock?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
1. Is expiration date shown online? I'm logged into flyingblue.com and on dashboard. Don't see expiration date as Ivory.
2. Also by expiry due to no level miles in 20 months, do they mean expiry of miles that have been there for 20 months or even expiry of miles transferred in last month?
3. Anybody tried redeeming award and then subsequently cancelling award and redeposit? Do those miles expire on original schedule or does that reset the 20-month clock?
KLM website shows expiry date, you can try there.
All miles will expire, and no, booking an award and cancelling will not help.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ditto
Logged into Miles overview in KLM.

I only see under Miles expiry information

Award Miles are valid for a period of 20 months from the respective date of earning. Some of your Award Miles are about to expire. However, you can extend their validity by making a qualifying flight.
So it appears question 2 is no, not all miles will expire.

Guess I will have to call FB to find out when they actually expire. I just looked at FB, KL, and AF sites. Looks like AF gives the most transaction history.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:30 pm
mlm

Originally Posted by Mirk
No, only miles from a flight or purchase with the AF/KLM Amex will extend miles validity.
Am I understanding correctly that if I obtain a Flying Blue American Express card and use it for everyday purchases (not flights) it will protect my FB points from expiring? Is this card available to USA residents?
Old May 17, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto
I believe that this is not fully correct.

Let's assume that you had several miles from flights 19.9 months ago or more, and no more qualifying flights ever since. But you had some recent miles obtained from hotels, car rental or cc transfers. When you hit 20 months all the miles earned prior to 20 months ago will disappear. I might be wrong but I believe that other miles earnings within 20 months will remain until their 20 months validity or a new qualifying flight.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos

Let's assume that you had several miles from flights 19.9 months ago or more, and no more qualifying flights ever since. But you had some recent miles obtained from hotels, car rental or cc transfers. When you hit 20 months all the miles earned prior to 20 months ago will disappear. I might be wrong but I believe that other miles earnings within 20 months will remain until their 20 months validity or a new qualifying flight.
I believe that to be correct.

Any miles earned prior to the last flight, 20 months previously, are gone.

The miles earned since - by hotel stays/car hire, etc - will remain valid.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mlm
Am I understanding correctly that if I obtain a Flying Blue American Express card and use it for everyday purchases (not flights) it will protect my FB points from expiring?
Yes

Originally Posted by mlm
Is this card available to USA residents?
No
Old May 17, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Mirk
Yes

No
Why do you think it's not available for US residents? Having an address in France or the Netherlands is *not* a requirement of the co-branded AMEX. You only need a bank account in one of the 2 countries.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
Why do you think it's not available for US residents? Having an address in France or the Netherlands is *not* a requirement of the co-branded AMEX. You only need a bank account in one of the 2 countries.
US residents are not typically able to meet the requirements necessary to open a Dutch or French bank account.

The vast majority of US residents would find the obstacles towards opening such an account make the statement correct.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The vast majority of US residents would find the obstacles towards opening such an account make the statement correct.
Much better^
Old May 17, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by brunos

No. Once you hit 24 months (recently changed) of no qualifying activity (i.e., qualifying flights, spenditure with the AMEX card) all the while not being elite, *all* your miles disappear. Of course if you earn *new* miles since then, those will stay until you hit another 24-month inactivity period. It's only the miles that disappear, not the account.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by CyBeR
No. Once you hit 24 months (recently changed) of no qualifying activity (i.e., qualifying flights, spenditure with the AMEX card) all the while not being elite, *all* your miles disappear. Of course if you earn *new* miles since then, those will stay until you hit another 24-month inactivity period. It's only the miles that disappear, not the account.
As you indicated, looks like there is a change now from 20 to 24 months.

However, when I login to KLM and look under Miles Overview, it states (similar to post# 20):
Award Miles are valid for a period of 2 years from the respective date of earning. Some of your Award Miles are about to expire. However, you can extend their validity by making a qualifying flight before the expiry date of the Award Miles.
The bolded sections clearly contradicts your interpretation.

I suggest those with miles closed to expiration should take a screenshot on KLM Miles Overview because the FB T&Cs are not clear.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
No. Once you hit 24 months (recently changed) of no qualifying activity (i.e., qualifying flights, spenditure with the AMEX card) all the while not being elite, *all* your miles disappear.
That's not correct.

Award Miles are valid for at least 24 months (was 20 until the recent change). But your miles have their validity extended as long as there is a qualifying flight (i.e. level miles were earned) in the previous 24 (was 20) months.

Let's say your last flight was 24 months ago. Sure, all the "older" miles will expire. But the miles you earned last week for an Avis rental are not yet 24 months old. So the basic rule of Award Miles remaining valid for 24 months must first be exhausted before these "young" Award Miles can be removed from your account.

The earning of miles by hotel stays or car rental does not extend the lifetime of previously-earned miles - only FB Amex spend or Level Mileage earning can do that. But the Award Miles earned by hotel stays or car rental are no different than the Award Miles earned by flying, and they can only be removed from your account after they have aged to 24 (was 20) months old.

Also, it takes at least 5 years of total non-activity for an account to be closed.

Originally Posted by Flying Blue T&C
1.2.10 After a period of 5 years of no accrual of Award Miles by a Member, the Company reserves the right to unilaterally terminate membership.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 17, 2017 at 6:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.