Last edit by: AlicorporateUK

EVENT SCHEDULE

Saturday, January 30th
11:15AM | Meeting at the AF-KL check-in desk at WAW

4PM | Pre-meal drinks in town

8PM | Meal
Polish Restaurant Rózana
Chocimska 7, Warszawa

One of the best restaurants in town. Rózana is a cosy, elegant, yet unpretentious place known for its choice of delicate and light meals from the traditional Polish cuisine.The restaurant is famous for its freshly-made noodles and traditional Polish dumplings (pierogi, kopytka, kolduny).

11PM | Post-meal gathering
Celibar
ul. Świętojańska 27/29
00-266 Warszawa

Lively yet cosy & not overcrowded, this captivating bar/pub/restaurant is situated in one of the charming narrow traffic-free streets leading to the heart of Warsaw Old Town (Stare Miasto), just a few metres away from the market place (Rynek Starego Miasta). A renownedly great selection of beer plus obviously wines, local spirits (Żubrówka anyone?) & cocktails will be available, together with a selection of typical Polish dishes.

ATTENDANTS
Confirmed
ajs123 (Friday-Monday): KL1365-KL1364
AlicorporateUK (Friday-until Żubrówka has cleared from the system): AF1246-KL1364
fifty_two
Goldorak (Friday-Sunday): AF1246-AF1047
olivedel (Friday-Sunday): AF1246-KL1362
danam (Friday-Sunday)
Henry III (Friday-Monday)

HOTELS
Hampton City Centre
danam

Sofitel
Goldorak; Henry III; ajs123.

Bristol
olivedel

Novotel Warszawa Airport
AlicorporateUK

GETTING ABOUT/PUBLIC TRANSPORT
The Polish capital prides itself on an extensive & reliable public transport network: starting from the main airport (WAW), you will have the choice of making the short trip to the city centre either by bus or train: the bus stop is located on the ground floor, just outside the main arrivals area, whereas the underground train station is connected directly to the terminal building. The 175 bus service leaves approximately every 15 minutes and will take you to the main train station (Dw. Centralny) or one step away from the Old Town Market Place (Pl. Zamkowy) in 30/40 minutes (depending on traffic). Any train you will get on will take you to the city centre stopping at either Warszawa Centralna or Warszawa Śródmieście. If arriving on Friday evening, you may want to get a weekend ticket from one of the machines outside the terminal building or at the entrance of the airport train station (debit/credit cards accepted, but keep your American Express in the pocket because it's not going to work): the Bilet Weekendowy Normalny ticket only costs 24 PLN (approximately 5 EUR/4 GBP) and it is valid on the whole public transport network (zone 1 & 2 - you will not need to go beyond zone 2 anyway) from Friday 6PM to Monday 8AM (please note: the ticket needs validating upon boarding the bus/train). The weekend fare is excellent value also if purchased on the Saturday (unless you're planning to fly back on the Sunday i.e. the following day, in which case you should go for the 24-hours ticket, costing 15 PLN).
For anybody travelling to Modlin (WMI), the choice is between a direct bus (https://www.modlinbus.pl/en/) and the train, which is basically the same train/line (Warszawa Lotnisko Chopina-Modlin & vice-versa) connecting the other airport to the city centre (opposite direction in this case). Note that, should you opt for the latter, you will first have to catch a special bus (stop located just outside the arrivals area) to the local train station (buying a ticket to central Warsaw from one of the machines located in the baggage claim area will also cover the short bus journey). In most cases, the bus departure/arrival is synchronised with the next train departure from Modlin railway station. Journey time is approximately 1 hour (bus plus train and the wait in between).
Print Wikipost

★The AF-KL-AZ Warsaw Winter Do★

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Exclamation ★The AF-KL-AZ Warsaw Winter Do★

I’m pretty sure that not many people would have thought that a farewell to Gold’s thread would have initially provided room for discussion about Żubrówka vodka and eventually become one of the main themes for a do…

Well, both myself & ajs123 are now pleased to unveil...

The Goodbye Gold (with a shot of Żubrówka) AF-KL-AZ Do in Warsaw, Poland!

The Polish Capital is easily reachable from basically anywhere with most major & low-cost airlines (note: FR fly to WMI) and provides great value when it comes to accommodation. The city has loads to offer not only for those looking just to party non-stop or to try the Polish cuisine & local beers in one of the several traditional restaurants, bars & pubs in the city, but also for those who would like to experience what the place has to offer in terms of history, culture and much-much more – and what a great occasion to visit Warsaw for this particular event.

It goes without saying that anyone is more than welcome to join.

Given that, presumably, most people will be looking to make it a short-break in the city, I think that the best day for the party would be, ideally, a Saturday – we have therefore decided to go for January 30th, which will hopefully give you plenty of time to digest the Christmas celebrations.

Whilst we will be updating the wiki section for more info on the venue, time, attendants etc., we would be grateful, however (mainly in order to come up with a plan in terms of venue etc.), if you could confirm your attendance by updating the above section. If possible (or at a later stage), would you also please indicate whether you will be coming just for a drink or if you would like to take part in any activity (I was thinking, for instance, to get the airport operator involved for a thorough visit of Warsaw Chopin Airport's operations).
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:33 am
Original Poster

[Save the date!]
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
I very much look forward to the do! Thanks AlicorporateUK for having this brilliant idea. For those not familiar with Żubrówka, read more here about this beverage.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you AlicorporateUK for this nice initiative. Count me in for any airport/aviation-related activity at WAW.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What a shame you chose that particular weekend. I have a working weekend on 30/31 January for the theatre piece I will be directing at that time. Never mind, we'll make up for it some other time!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thank you AlicorporateUK for this nice initiative. Count me in for any airport/aviation-related activity at WAW.
Thanks to you for confirming your attendance, Goldorak - I know this isn't the easiest weekend (people are just back from the Christmas holidays), but it will be a good one, mainly because ajs123 is already targeting the vodka in the WAW lounge

@ajs123: I shall post proof of the bison's presence in the lounge tomorrow before my flight

G
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
What a shame you chose that particular weekend. I have a working weekend on 30/31 January for the theatre piece I will be directing at that time. Never mind, we'll make up for it some other time!
What a shame indeed! I'm sure, though, you will feel our support from Warsaw in the theatre

G
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I much prefer my Zubrowka neat (in fact I'd never mix it with anything) but share its appreciation!
Originally Posted by NickB
Pah... much better on its own...
Will the in-house connoisseurs be available during that weekend? I hope you will at least be able to make a same-day return for a shot (or two)

G
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Thanks to you for confirming your attendance, Goldorak - I know this isn't the easiest weekend (people are just back from the Christmas holidays), but it will be a good one, mainly because ajs123 is already targeting the vodka in the WAW lounge

@ajs123: I shall post proof of the bison's presence in the lounge tomorrow before my flight

G
^@:-)^
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I am in too!
See you in WAW!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
This sounds cool! I'll need to check my schedules, but I'm already looking for a way to turn up, somehow!

-- Henry
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by olivedel
I am in too!
See you in WAW!
awesome!

Originally Posted by Henry III
This sounds cool! I'll need to check my schedules, but I'm already looking for a way to turn up, somehow!

-- Henry
Your Majesty is most welcome to join!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:54 am
Original Poster

I've just got to the lounge here in Warsaw ahead of my flight to Rome and, surprisingly, noticed this -

Seemingly, somebody () out there was worrying about post-Christmas stock levels and got in touch with the lounge directly...

G
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:08 am

★The AF-KL-AZ Warsaw Winter Do★

ROFL
I feel much reassured!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Aaargh Żubrówka. All I remember of that is a headache.

Otherwise, what a great idea! With some creative agenda and flight re-shuffling I might actually be able to make it to this DO. I'll let you know.

Thanks for organizing this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.