Wiki Posts
Search

Guessing at return date for KLM flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Guessing at return date for KLM flight

I reserved flights for DD and SIL for their holiday leave in January. They are Army stationed in Italy. The round trip economy was great rate of $784 each for multi-city reservation. At least I thought it was great but I've always used miles for TATL. A one way cost more than double the round trip fare. I have 24 hrs. for changes or cancellation.

Itinerary is: VCE/PHL & DTW/VCE. They will need another flight from PHL (SIL's home) to DTW (our home).

Questions:

1. If their trip is cancelled because change of Army orders do I have coverage through my Delta AmEx? They are listed on card as authorized users. I usually keep the booklet of fine print for my credit cards but I have lost the one for Delta card.

2. Instead of using this return in January I would like them to use it when they come home in summer. For this trip in January I would like to send them home in Business and have found seats on UA. SIL has never flown in Business or First.

Therefore, I am guessing at a return date. Most likely it is wrong and will have to be changed. Flights are on Air France. N fare DTW/CDG & L CDG/VCE. What will possible change fee and penalty be to change this return?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
On 1) you are asking the wrong place. I think it all depends on the conditions of your DL Amex, which I doubt anyone is aware of on this forum.

On 2) it depends on the specific fare rules (N and L are buckets but your fare will be something like NUSA7X) which will say what are the conditions for validity and change. Most N and L fares would be changeable for a fee + any difference in fare but some are also non-changeable altogether. It is best to call AF (if you book directly on AF) or your TA/OTA (if you booked through one of them) to check.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
On 1) you are asking the wrong place. I think it all depends on the conditions of your DL Amex, which I doubt anyone is aware of on this forum.

On 2) it depends on the specific fare rules (N and L are buckets but your fare will be something like NUSA7X) which will say what are the conditions for validity and change. Most N and L fares would be changeable for a fee + any difference in fare but some are also non-changeable altogether. It is best to call AF (if you book directly on AF) or your TA/OTA (if you booked through one of them) to check.
1. Seems to be a problem with most of my questions I thought since I found this flight through Air France website . . .

2. Because I modified this reservation I spoke with several phone reps today. Asked all of them and they all confirmed it would be change fee (possibly waived if due to changed orders from Army) and difference in fare.

Thanks for taking time to respond. I appreciate it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gardengirl
2. Because I modified this reservation I spoke with several phone reps today. Asked all of them and they all confirmed it would be change fee (possibly waived if due to changed orders from Army) and difference in fare.
Glad to hear it's changeable. Do bear in mind differences in fares can add up pretty quickly if your dates aren't flexible and/or you book for a nearby date so best think of multiple possible flight days and change as soon as they are sure. I wouldn't count on fees being waived. You can ask but increasingly airlines will play hardball and send you back to your travel insurance so I'd give the insurance company a call.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Glad to hear it's changeable. Do bear in mind differences in fares can add up pretty quickly if your dates aren't flexible and/or you book for a nearby date so best think of multiple possible flight days and change as soon as they are sure. I wouldn't count on fees being waived. You can ask but increasingly airlines will play hardball and send you back to your travel insurance so I'd give the insurance company a call.
Air France/KLM/Delta waived the phone booking fee because they are military. UA would not. I found the same UA reservation available online yesterday so canceled the first and remade it to give us more time for changes/cancel.

If only we could plan early. . . Here it is November. I began looking for reservations Sunday night and finalized them yesterday. DD called yesterday and they have a meeting today to see if their dates are being changed. Good thing we have until midnight tonight to cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.