Wiki Posts
Search

KLM bid for upgrade AMS-IAD Feb 23rd

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, IHG Gold
KLM bid for upgrade AMS-IAD Feb 23rd

My first post on this forum so help me out if I mess up ;-)

I've tried searching for experiences with the bidding program with KLM. There is not a whole lot of information out there (other than what's shared by KLM) so I decided to share my experience in the hope others can profit & hopefully gain some new insights as well.

I burned all my award miles on in total 4 WBC upgrades and 1x award ticket roundtrip AMS-IAD for my wife, so when KLM presented me with the option to "bid for an upgrade" on their website, I decided to try it out on my flight KL0651 AMS-IAD on Feb 23rd. The minimum bid was €289 but I decided to bid €309 just in case the algorithm rejected minimum bids.

10s before the bid expired, I was still the highest (and only) bidder and when I checked the website KLM still offered WBC-seats on the very same flight so I felt I had a good chance. Nevertheless I got the "Sorry, no luck" email. I didn't state somebody else had won it - just that I didn't. KLM rep @ twitter confirmed the WBC cabin was completely booked.

So no hard feelings, the system might have worked but I know the Monday flight to Dulles is pretty full with KLM, so I'll try again for the return flight on the 25th and maybe have some more luck. If not, I'll at least have gained some 7,000 miles

But I'm interested to learn if other people ever made this system work to their advantage. Did anybody ever manage to buy an upgrade this way? It seems like a good deal.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: FB Plat
I did manage to get an upgrade this way twice, and got a "sorry, no luck" mail once. In the case where it didn't work out, I did manage to get an upgrade in the JFK lounge for my inbound flight to AMS for 35.000 miles instead.

Irregardless of whether you can bid, trying to get an upgrade just prior to boarding works great - although you often have to pay approx 300 - 400€ for a single segment from USA to NL or other way around.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, IHG Gold
Well as it turned out, I upgraded myself on the last free business seat for 25,000 miles for this leg. I know have a negative balance of -3000 points :-) Never knew you could do that. I did another bid for the return flight, hope that one will "stick". How much did you pay with your bids Klmdwsq?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.