Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF-KL tensions reach new high?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
AF-KL tensions reach new high?

At least that is what Le Monde is saying, around the issues of Transavia, the AF pilots strike, AF' continued losses, and Eurlings's "resignation".

http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/artic...8613_3234.html

(in French)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Eurling's departure is a satellite problem that has nothing (or very little) to do with the French strike issue. But, overall, I always feared that the last strike and the consequential huge losses could create a lot of tensions between AF and KL. Indeed, when the next saving plan will be announced (unavoidable), the Dutch could say that they have done enough efforts during the past years and that they don't have to pay for the crazy French pilots.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:05 pm

http://www.telegraaf.nl/dft/bedrijve...inigen___.html

After KLM's CEO Mr. Camiel Eurlings was asked to leave the company two weeks ago, various Dutch newspapers reporting today that leaked documents state that AF/KLM are set to announce an aggressive reorganisation plan in order to safe the group from "technical" bankruptcy. Quarterly results are announced this wednesday the 29th however the full board of directors are set to meet tomorrow to discuss the final details of what is expected to be the loss of thousands of jobs at both companies.
The recent strike by pilots at Air France cost the company more than 500 million Euro's alone on top of excessive operational costs, mainly at Air France.

Rumours within the industry state that the group combined will need to reduce overall costs by more than 20%.

Worrying times for AF/KLM

http://www.nltimes.nl/2014/10/27/air...ruptcy-report/

Last edited by BApilotinsider; Oct 27, 2014 at 5:45 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: Many
AF-KL has just denied what is written in the Telegraaf.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Has anything written in de Telegraaf ever been confirmed?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:36 am

Well, AD is also writing about possible 7500 lay-offs, which is quickly denied by KLM. I can image if Pieter Elbers wants to make a move, he will do so immediately! I'll buy some popcorn for the meeting tomorrow!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Some Dutch websites and newspapers are claiming that "...since the merger with /takeover by AF, KLM has always been profitable" whereas "AF has been bleeding money....."
Is there any truth to this?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's no secret that KLM's performance has been (considerably) better than that of Air France over the last decade.

I'm not sure that KLM has been profitable for the entire time, though.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: FB Gold
It 'seems' that the Air France side is dragging the entire lot down, but I am not sure if that is actually the case or not.

As a KLM flyer, my worry is that things on the KLM side will get even worse due to even more and more agressive cost-cutting measures.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's no secret that KLM's performance has been (considerably) better than that of Air France over the last decade.

I'm not sure that KLM has been profitable for the entire time, though.
... and it is also far from clear how well KL would have fared had it remained on its own. Some people might have a short memory but those of us who were flying KL regularly at the time may remember that KL was struggling and was trying to save money left, right and centre. There were the days of "Europe Select", suppression of alcoholic drinks in economy and the slashing of the Flying Dutchman programme.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one has suggested in this thread that KL should have "remained on its own".

Their choice of knight in shining armour, however, is increasingly being called into question:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...ng-choice.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
What are the chances of another airline (Delta, Etihad, BA, ect) buying up KLM?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:22 pm

EK ?
As EK has a nicely located hub called DXB. They are already with another airline on the other side: QF. So AMS-DXB-(SE Asia / Australia/NZ) is a nice flying route.

I doubt whether KL will reach the 100th anniversary in 2019 when it is going on like this ....

But what I always wonder is the amount of cabin staff in an aircraft. I flew KL to CPT last year and noticed 7-8 stewardesses in a 777. So I am not surprised by high staff costs ....
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No one has suggested in this thread that KL should have "remained on its own".
mmm.... it seems to me that there is more than a touch of dog-whistling in this talk about AF "dragging the whole lot down", with an implicit assumption of: KLM is great and AF is the pits and KL would be doing wonderfully if AF was not there.

Their choice of knight in shining armour, however, is increasingly being called into question:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...ng-choice.html
Again, this strikes as another case of short-memory syndrome. It is not as if there was a long list of suitors vying to pair up with KL. Let us not forget that KL had already tried with AZ and with BA. AZ ended up in divorce very shortly after the wedding and the flirting with BA ended up early too for a variety of reasons. Who else do you suggest KL could have realistically paired up with?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brendan88
What are the chances of another airline (Delta, Etihad, BA, ect) buying up KLM?
zero... now let us get back to the real world...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.