Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to long-haul awards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rwSEA
I'm surprised that you are all surprised. This is a company that has shown time and again that it really couldn't care less about its best customers. The only interest to this company is cutting costs, and they are apparently focused on doing it through their FFP than making meaningful operational changes to achieve said cost savings.
Totally agree, in Europe now we might just as well use the low cost carriers. Some of them even provide a better service.

Why did I stay on after the major devaluation in 2009? Well, the business promos stayed at a reasonable price at 50,000 RT for N American, one way awards were still good value in Europe, and... I honestly thought they would sooner or later recognize their utter stupidity and turn the changes back. But I really really did not think that they could make it any worse than it has become??
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
One other thing is missing here. We asked them specifically and several times to give us a reason to be Platinum. Make the advantages distinctive and easy to make the case for us to make the effort to be Platinum.

I don't even see the word Platinum anywhere in this announcement, right? Surely there will be a following email sent to all Platinum member outlining our special new benefits, right?
Let me guess:
-the right to pay for Economy Comfort?
-the right to pay for 2 piece of luggage (oops, kl almost already did that one)?
-a special new elite bonus of 80% instead of 100%?
-now 12.5 year for LTPL (a 25% increase)?
-a very special incitation to apply for status match with a competitor?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Concerto
Why did I stay on after the major devaluation in 2009? Well, the business promos stayed at a reasonable price at 50,000 RT for N American, one way awards were still good value in Europe, and... I honestly thought they would sooner or later recognize their utter stupidity and turn the changes back. But I really really did not think that they could make it any worse than it has become??
Wait, we still have business promos to NA at 50K miles. And we still have decent value one-way economy awards in Europe. Those aren't going away, right?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
One other thing is missing here. We asked them specifically and several times to give us a reason to be Platinum. Make the advantages distinctive and easy to make the case for us to make the effort to be Platinum.

I don't even see the word Platinum anywhere in this announcement, right? Surely there will be a following email sent to all Platinum member outlining our special new benefits, right?
Oh, rest assured, they will announce all new platinum benefits. But it will benefit them, not their platinum members.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Wait, we still have business promos to NA at 50K miles. And we still have decent value one-way economy awards in Europe. Those aren't going away, right?
it will be 62.5 not 50. And the wording in the announcement is worrisome. It suggests that many intercontinetal awards will only offer a 25% discount:

"From end June 2013, Promo Awards@ will be available with the new intercontinental award scheme, so you will be able to save 25-50% off the Award Miles usually needed for an award ticket."
if 25%, the promo to NA wil be at 75% of 125K or 93.75
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I understood it, stimpy, yes, those business promos are going away (at that price). They will now be priced at 62,500 miles, which is the new price for a standard one way business ticket to N America. The previous 50,000 miles level will now apply to Premium Economy redemptions.

The stuff I read also mentioned something about Promo Awards at 25% instead of at 50%. Help!!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean, it's really dire, isn't it? Especially in the light of how good the BA Avios programme has become of late.

In a way, it's good too! With only 3 flight sectors so far towards Gold this year, I think I won't push for requalifying now (I was thinking whether it was worth keeping my custom with AF/KL).

And then there's also all this crap about HOP! and the new MINI product. What are they smoking? Do they have a death wish for the company or something?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxymore
Let me guess:
-the right to pay for Economy Comfort?
-the right to pay for 2 piece of luggage (oops, kl almost already did that one)?
-a special new elite bonus of 80% instead of 100%?
-now 12.5 year for LTPL (a 25% increase)?
-a very special incitation to apply for status match with a competitor?
I was kind of hoping for a 300% mile bonus on Z fares, but your's are more realistic.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
it will be 62.5 not 50. And the wording in the announcement is worrisome. It suggests that many intercontinetal awards will only offer a 25% discount:

"From end June 2013, Promo Awards@ will be available with the new intercontinental award scheme, so you will be able to save 25-50% off the Award Miles usually needed for an award ticket."
if 25%, the promo to NA wil be at 75% of 125K or 93.75
Ah, ok. But one way intra-Europe economy awards aren't changing as far as I can see, right? Those are pretty valuable to me, even if they aren't quite as good as deal as what BAEC has.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
No reduction in YQ for Business awards and # of miles up. Great move FB It is hard to believe they could make a terrible program even worse, but I guess they can.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Ah, ok. But one way intra-Europe economy awards aren't changing as far as I can see, right? Those are pretty valuable to me, even if they aren't quite as good as deal as what BAEC has.
If intra-European fares and services are dropping to LCC level, these are not so valuable, right?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think intra-European awards are a lot less value than they used to be before, depending where you want to go and where you are placed. Even despite reducing the surcharges on the tickets.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If intra-European fares and services are dropping to LCC level, these are not so valuable, right?
I don't see one-way fares dropping. At least not for LYS-AMS where AF/KL has a monopoly. And the route I fly the most.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Ah wait. Now I understand how they are able to create more award availabillity. They free up some more seats by chasing away some of their top customers
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
They just focus on lowering costs, betting that pax will be primarily attracted by low fares.
But I see absolutely no evidence of "low fares".

Ok, granted KLM did mail me this morning with their previously-trumpeted list of 30 European destinations at €99, but while there may be some "new" cities at that price level, some of those I have flown to in the past for that price are noticeably absent. And they're not going to reduce the prices across the board for longhaul, are they?

Anyway, that wasn't the only mail I received from KLM today - they also emailed me to remind me to "expand my place in space" - although that particular competition ended earlier this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.