Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Have questions about baggage compensation? Ask an exAir France/KLM compensation agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have questions about baggage compensation? Ask an exAir France/KLM compensation agent

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tirajat
Thanks orbitmic. Well yes, I am heading to a ski resort (in Parpan, Switzerland). So all the stuff I mentioned is in my suitcase if air France gets down to such level of verification. It's a 20 day europe trip, so I did pack a lot of things which easily will be more than 1000 chf if I have to value them. Unfortunately I do not have a travel insurance - never imagined it could happen to me
Well, re-insurance, you'll know for next time. Re-suitcase contents, I didn't mean that they would check but that you could use that as a rule of thumb on how to figure out whether something is "needed" or not.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi! thanks for all the information here. I am recently in this situation, so reviving the old thread.

I flew from Mumbai to Munich via CDG and my baggage is lost (delayed technically). Its been more than 48 hours and the website mentions "tracing continues, please check back later". Interestingly, someone called up my office in Zurich and told that the baggage has been traced. I wasn't available at that time, so when I called back, the call centre agent tells me it is still not traced, or even if it is traced, there are too many delayed baggages at Munich, so system might not be updated.

On asking about reimbursement for necessary purchases, I was told upto 100 euros. Of course, it is nothing for a city like Zurich, so when I insisted, I was told I could go upto 200 to 250 euros, which I fell is still not enough since I need to buy winter clothing, formal jacket and hiking shoes. So my question is, what will the airlines consider necessary purchase in this case - since I am going to head to mountains, will they consider hiking shoes an necessary item. Similarly, I have official meetings, so can I buy formal jacket. Of course, buying all these will easily cost around 500 CHF.

I flew business class - will it make a difference. I am not a flying blue member but a silver member with Jet Airways (codeshare with Air France).

If I don't get it in 21 days, what is the compensation I can expect? I guess I will need to fill an inventory form after 72 hours. Do I really enter values in a manner assuming these will be used for final compensation`?

Thanks for the replies.
The €100 is what AF will reimburse without questioning.

However, this is not a legal limit. Under the Montreal Convention, they have to compensate (unless they can show that the delay was outside their control) for damage resulting from the delay in transporting baggage and the limits under the Convention are 1000 SDRs, which is approx CHF1200.

Do not go over the top but I would certainly claim for reasonable expenses incurred as a result of the delay in the delivery of baggage, including formal wear if you can show that you had an event requiring formal wear. You do have to mitigate your loss, though, so keep your expenses to the minimum required. Do not go over the top with the most dazzling and expensive dinner jacket that you can find.

For ski gear, stuff that can be hired (at a lower cost than purchasing) should be hired rather than purchased since your luggage is expected to arrive but you should be able to buy clothing with the same caveat as above.

AF may ask for evidence of the need for the stuff and may be reluctant to pay but stand your ground if you can establish that this was necessary and that you have kept your expenses to a minimum.

But orbitmic's advice on travel insurance, if you are insured, is sound. It may be easier and more straightforward.

If the baggage is lost for good, the compensation is normally the value of the baggage or SDR1000, whichever is the lowest (but you would have to deduct what they already paid from that).
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
So apparently my bag has gone to Amsterdam rather than the actual destination which was Munich. Overall, I have been quite disappointed during my interaction with AF during past few days and have gotten some very confusing messages. I got a call a couple of days back with someone telling that the baggage has been traced, only to be informed later that it was a false alarm. Today again, I was told that my bag reached and has already left Amsterdam but no information whether it has reached Munich or not. Now I could not understand why was my bag sent to Munich when my address is clearly mentioned as that of Zurich.

On another note, I was quite surprised that someone actually opened my bag and noted the contents - the call centre agent read the entire list to me. While it is strange, good that now AF is aware of what is there in my luggage and should now reimburse CHF 300 that I have spent on hiking boots, formal shoes, trousers, shirts, woollens etc. I don't think I have really splurged, or have I?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
On another note, I was quite surprised that someone actually opened my bag and noted the contents - the call centre agent read the entire list to me.
The bag opening is most unusual and suggests to me that in all likeliness, the problem with your bag is that for whatever reason it must have lost its tag. This is the only reason I can think of why the bag would be opened and would explain the further delay in bringing you your bag.

Sadly, it does indeed happen that luggage tags get lost on the way especially as baggage handlers can be quite rough. It also means that it is always a very good idea to put a label with one's name and contact details inside the luggage.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The bag opening is most unusual and suggests to me that in all likeliness, the problem with your bag is that for whatever reason it must have lost its tag. This is the only reason I can think of why the bag would be opened and would explain the further delay in bringing you your bag.

Sadly, it does indeed happen that luggage tags get lost on the way especially as baggage handlers can be quite rough. It also means that it is always a very good idea to put a label with one's name and contact details inside the luggage.
Yes you are correct, I was told that the baggage tag was lost and the luggage was identified through my frequent flyer tag. But somehow that still doesn't explain me why would the airline open my suitcase. Anyhow, keeping fingers crossed and waiting for someone to call me.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:53 am

Yes you are correct, I was told that the baggage tag was lost and the luggage was identified through my frequent flyer tag. But somehow that still doesn't explain me why would the airline open my suitcase. Anyhow, keeping fingers crossed and waiting for someone to call me.
Because the only formal identification for a given suitcase is its tag. For all they know, you could have several lost suitcases with other airlines or you could have given some of your frequent flyer tags to a family member or friend etc. Basically, if the tag is lost, any handler/airline will virtually always open the suitcase at one point or another to double check that they are dealing with the right bag, it is standard procedure.

Gld for you the luggage has been found and I think that there is now a clear reason for the long delay. I hope that the bag is reunited with you in time for you to enjoy its contents!!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Gld for you the luggage has been found and I think that there is now a clear reason for the long delay. I hope that the bag is reunited with you in time for you to enjoy its contents!!
Thanks! Hope it doesn't get lost again during Munich to Zurich transfer
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Mikke, many thanks for your contribution to this forum!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by florin
Mikke, many thanks for your contribution to this forum!
Mikke is, sadly, long departed from these threads.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
delayed bag compensation from AF/KL

I guess the OP is gone from this post -- but wondering if I have any chance of some compensation.
My flight was HND-CDG-AMS-YYZ and because of a 20 minute scheduled delay of the CDG-AMS flight my bag missed the AMS-YYZ flight -- although when I asked at the gate when boarding myself I was told the bag did connect.
On arrival at YYZ I was paged and told my bag didn't make the connection.
I explained that I was flying on to DCA in 3 hours and the agent telexed to AMS that the bag should be sent to DCA where I would pick it up.
Three days later a call to AF/KL US baggage number and I hear my bag is at DCA waiting for me and I can go out to pick it up.
Am I due any compensation from AF/KL? I realize it is my choice to go the airport to pick up the bag, but that works better than having it delivered for me. Or if I write to AF/KL -- the ticket was on KL stock, will they maybe throw me some cash or miles, not that I want FB miles since I send all my miles to DL.
Not a really big deal, but it is an inconvenience.
Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mot29
I guess the OP is gone from this post -- but wondering if I have any chance of some compensation.
My flight was HND-CDG-AMS-YYZ and because of a 20 minute scheduled delay of the CDG-AMS flight my bag missed the AMS-YYZ flight -- although when I asked at the gate when boarding myself I was told the bag did connect.
On arrival at YYZ I was paged and told my bag didn't make the connection.
I explained that I was flying on to DCA in 3 hours and the agent telexed to AMS that the bag should be sent to DCA where I would pick it up.
Three days later a call to AF/KL US baggage number and I hear my bag is at DCA waiting for me and I can go out to pick it up.
Am I due any compensation from AF/KL? I realize it is my choice to go the airport to pick up the bag, but that works better than having it delivered for me. Or if I write to AF/KL -- the ticket was on KL stock, will they maybe throw me some cash or miles, not that I want FB miles since I send all my miles to DL.
Not a really big deal, but it is an inconvenience.
Thanks.
If you are a DL US customer, you can write to DL even about KLM and AF flights, as DL handles their CS and baggage issues in the US (and vv in the EU).

Especially given you didn't have any expenses, DL will likely throw you some SkyMiles for the inconvenience, as you are a DM after all. I would mention that you went to the airport to retrieve the bag, too (you don't need to get into the choice of it, but I've had a DL BSO person recount for me all the costs involved with repairing/delivering delayed baggage, so highlighting that you saved them money will help your compensation case).

If you write to AF/KLM they will offer you FB miles only, which you say you don't want.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
If you are a DL US customer, you can write to DL even about KLM and AF flights, as DL handles their CS and baggage issues in the US (and vv in the EU).
The flight was ticketed on KL stock and the bag tag was an AF tag so I doubt that DL would see a reason to send me miles.
I may try writing to KL and see if they will send me money for my expenses of picking up the bag. And FB miles might not be too bad now that I can transfer Chase points to FB. I'm got an open jaw trip to IST returning from CPH next spring and could use transfer points to FB for some of my within Europe travel.
Thanks, btonkid12345 for responding.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mot29
The flight was ticketed on KL stock and the bag tag was an AF tag so I doubt that DL would see a reason to send me miles.
I may try writing to KL and see if they will send me money for my expenses of picking up the bag. And FB miles might not be too bad now that I can transfer Chase points to FB. I'm got an open jaw trip to IST returning from CPH next spring and could use transfer points to FB for some of my within Europe travel.
Thanks, btonkid12345 for responding.
Good luck with the proceedings of your request. I don't think you should ask for the expenses of picking up the bag, given they offered to deliver it to you and you turned that down (and that definitely is noted in your record because standard process is to deliver it). I think asking for that will make you come across as disingenuous to the representative you write to.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:15 am

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having issues dealing with KLM.

Our bag was delayed for a few days, so we were forced to buy some necessities and file a claim. Our claim was accepted, but we were given 2 options. Either take the full claim (around 500EUR) in KLM travel vouchers or 1/2 of the amount (250EUR) in cash.

Is this normal? We don't normally fly KLM, so the travel vouchers won't be of use to us. Also, if the claim was accepted and deemed valid, shouldn't the full claim be repaid in cash?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Yes, it is certainly normal that KLM will offer you more in the way of travel vouchers (which may never be spent - meaning no cost to the airline; and even when they are spent, that money stays with them/their partners) than they do in the way of cash.

If the cash is sufficient to cover your expenses, then I would recommend you take the cash. Unless you were planning on spending €500 or more on KLM in the near future (rather than being swayed into booking with them, "just because" of the voucher).

(And it would be rare for an airline to give anything more than €250 for a few day's necessities. It doesn't mean you can go out and buy a complete new wardrobe of designer gear, for example. It should just cover the necessities. Travel insurance can cover the rest)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.