Wiki Posts
Search

fighting over overhead bin space?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum for Life Flying Blue; LH FTL
fighting over overhead bin space?!

Still baffled by what I witnessed this morning around 8:00 on AF CDG-AMS.

Passenger A, seated in row 2, gets up and starts to bark at passenger B, seated in row 3 (next to me ).

Somehow he was immensely irritated that passenger B put 2 shopping bads with fragile goods in the bin of row 1. Discussion got so tense that FA had to step in, while pointing out she told passenger B to put the bags there. Not good enough for Passenger A (smoke coming out of his ears), so now he targeted the FA...
She kindly asked him if he had any luggage left that needed storage, but he said he was ok and he insisted that luggage can only be stored in the bins overhead he seat row....

And than, 5 minutes before the doors closed, the cherry on top of the desert arrived: Passenger C, with seat 1D. He looked at the full bin and with lightning speed he removed one of the shopping bags. He dropped the torn bag in the alley and pushed his travel case forceful in the bin. He didn't even bother to ask whose bag it was, he left the speechless FA, the honors of finding alternative storage space.

How on earth can it be that people claim overhead bin space as their own?
And why do fellow passengers treat each other so disrespectful?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Welcome to France, sadly (I say that being French).
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Row 1, two bags...(even super markets'one, they are not prohibited in T&Cs)? Should have they been plat or C2000 .

@Mokshu (told with frrrench accent) that's not only french, saw it on IB
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Indeed, not a specifically French problem! There's something about boarding an aeroplane that brings out the very worst in some people.

On occasions, I've found the overhead bins (I prefer the Dutch, "hash buckets" ) at my row (typically in the first few rows of Y) to be full and noticed space in the C section; however, I always ask the FA/Purser if it's OK for me to use that space: I've never yet been told, "No!"

It's nice to be nice - but some folks just don't see life that way!

-- Henry
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by Mokshu
Welcome to France, sadly (I say that being French).

Haven't really witnessed such a situation on AF before, but have experienced it on several other airlines. More than once I have seen a passenger leave their trolley in the middle of the aisle for the FA to find room for it. The general suggestion to put carry-on luggage underneath the seat in front of you does not really appear to be appreciated in these cases...
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold. Miles and More SEN.
Originally Posted by wjv144
he insisted that luggage can only be stored in the bins overhead he seat row....
That's news to me. I've never been made aware of that rule. I assume he's made it up in his head?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Idiots. I think that the FAs should have treated this as an air rage incident, politely asked the person who forcibly took out someone else's bag (to the extent that he was seating area) to put it bag and find alternative place for his own or threaten disembarkation. I hate people who put their bags where they do not belong, but I think that (1) when it is people who are indeed seating in the relevant area it is hard to argue why my bag is worth more than theirs, (2) conflicts should always be sorted by the crew and not by stupid self-appointed zorros.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: DL FO
I remember a similar situation when flying CDG-CVG in Y. Boarding was half done and almost all overhead bins were full!
FAs made announcement to ask people with 2 carry-ons to put one under the seat in front of them. FAs had to enforce people to put under the seat but no "fights".
The best is when you fly to Japan. Almost all the overhead bins are empty!

But I do not understand how people can be such a jerk onboard. We all have to share a very limited space for a certain time. Be nice! Like at school, FAs should be able to give extra miles to nice passengers!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Originally Posted by GuillaumeD
Like at school, FAs should be able to give extra miles to nice passengers!
Dreaming there, I see :P!

SB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.