Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining two cheap tickets - is this allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:49 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by MileageRunner68
I was also surprised (in this case: pleasantly) by the fact that I didn't have to pay the credit card surcharge for the ticket booked through the French website!
Credit card surcharges are illegal for sales in France. Low cost carriers violate this restriction by contending that sales are done through a foreign, e.g. Irish, web site.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Has any airline, including KLM/AF, been known for cancelling or taking action against nested tickets?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:00 am

Supporting what Nick told, the real issue is not nested tickets but back to back.

If you want to be sure there is no problem at all, buy them direct through AF site or better call AF and buy the two nested tickets on the phone with the same operator.

In this situation, for French law, AF is the professional and you are the layman, they have the obligation to inform you.

If they say on the phone it is illegal, you have to back down and not take the risk. Having bought a lot of nested tickets in the same operation with the same operator but several ticket numbers, I never had a problem. I add I never bought back to back, because, IMHO, it is obviously unfair and a way to circumvent the rules.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: Oneworld sapphire (IB)
Originally Posted by MileageRunner68
New to FT, and need your help...

I am a few legs short of reaching gold, however work is not allowing me to book a nice leisure trip before the end of the year anymore and I don't want to pay through the nose just for the sake of becoming gold.

I am thinking of booking two return tickets:
1) the first one flying from A to B on day 1 in the morning and back from B to A a week later in the evening
2) the second one, booked on KLM's site for the country of place B, flying from B to A in the evening on day 1 and from A to B in the morning of the day of the return leg of ticket 1.

I would be using all flights of all tickets and as such there are no fake return tickets.

Do you think I can get away with this or will KLM try and stop it?
Am I allowed to book a ticket from a KLM site in a country other than mine (the ticket originating that particular country)?

Thank you very much in advance for your well-appreciated advice!!
I did exactly the same last year with KLM and no problems at all, flew everything, got my miles only with booking the seconds flight on internet I was asked to call the call center and an agent asked me to be sure ( and then it was OK).
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:41 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jmbfrance
Supporting what Nick told, the real issue is not nested tickets but back to back.
I understand nesting as B-A/A-B segments inside A-B/B-A ones in order to get A-B/B-A/A-B/B-A cheaper than two seperate A-B/BA.

But what is back to back?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by bodory
Originally Posted by jmbfrance
I understand nesting as B-A/A-B segments inside A-B/B-A ones in order to get A-B/B-A/A-B/B-A cheaper than two seperate A-B/BA.

But what is back to back?
This exactly describes how I understand b2b ticketing. (With a special case of this being the situation in which you do not necessarily fly all segments.)

So my question is: what type of nesting tickets are we talking about that many here say airlines dont mind? Do you mean A-B-C-B-A carried out via an A-B-A ticket and a B-C-B ticket (aka end-on-end ticketing)? Or some other type of nesting that I cannot think of?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
This exactly describes how I understand b2b ticketing. (With a special case of this being the situation in which you do not necessarily fly all segments.)

So my question is: what type of nesting tickets are we talking about that many here say airlines dont mind? Do you mean A-B-C-B-A carried out via an A-B-A ticket and a B-C-B ticket (aka end-on-end ticketing)? Or some other type of nesting that I cannot think of?
I think that the real problem for airlines is back to back (AB, BA, AB, BA). It is a visa issue aswell (for instance, China does not allow transit visas for HAN-PEK-SGN, but allows for HAN-PEK-NRT, same countries in one case, different in the second case).

End on End or complex tickets (for instance CDG-HNL return and included one HNL-SEA, or more frequently tickets this sort : open-jaw CDG-BKK and NRT-CDG, and another ticket BKK-NRT) are not a problem.

To be clearer, the "Sat/sun night rule" is, in fact, "Sat/sun night in the arrival country". For instance, CDG/NYC plus ATL/CDG follow this sort of rule. If you have a nested ticket NYC-LAS-ATL, it is obvious you stay in the US.

Last explanation.

Suppose that a LHR-HKG is about 2900€ biz, and a CDG-HKG is about 3500€. If you choose the End on End option, you buy a CDG LHR ticket, about 200 €. You take a risk, and the company only "losts" 10%. The bet is not worth the risk.

Suppose now you have two eco flights to HEL, weeks one and two, for one day each time. The Back to Back tickets saves 60% at least !
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:26 am

To sum up this discussion: nested tickets as such are no problem, unless they are nested in a back-to-back fashion to circumvent a min-stay rule. Does everybody agree?

Gajan, do you agree, too?

(This would imply, btw, that the OP should not proceed with his/her idea.)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
To sum up this discussion: nested tickets as such are no problem, unless they are nested in a back-to-back fashion to circumvent a min-stay rule. Does everybody agree?

To my question if they (the airline) actually took actions against people who bought nested tickets they answered that they did not.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum

Huh? I don't get it.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:43 am

What exactly don't you understand about my sentence?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The underlined piece in the quote. To "circumvent a min-stay", could you give an example?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Gajan
To my question if they (the airline) actually took actions against people who bought nested tickets they answered that they did not.
I'm not a contract law expert but I remember reading on FT a while ago that someone more knowledgeable has read through all the kleine lettertjes of KLM and found nothing against nested ticketing.

As customers of KLM we are so used to "Computer says no!". Our defence in this case is "Computer says yes!". So, yes, we can.

Now, for the general discussion, I know that some airlines have terms in their CoC that forbid back-to-back ticketing. I've always wondered what should the following person do?

This person, say, Mike, was based in A but is now on a six-month exchange programme in B. Mike has bought a cheap return ticket A-B-A, both dates unchangeable (or, say, changeable to an [unsurprisingly colossal] fee). Three months into the programme, some family emergency requires Mike to visit A for a few days.
Buying ticket from another airline should solve the problem. But what if there is only one airline serving the route concerned?

On the other hand, what happens to nested tickets such as ORY-A-ORY nested in A-CDG-A, both on AF?

Or, BSL-A-BSL in A-MLH-A? [Are there airlines serving both BSL and MLH? ]
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold

From experience...

I have done this blatantly every single week for 18 months to the same destination in 2006/7.

This allowed for flights back to Paris (home) for the weekend at £170 instead of midweek flights to my project destination at (approx) €650. Hence, my company allowed me to fly hime every weekend - and my marriage is still fine.

Problems with the Airline, NONE. Sometimes when I booked with my corporate TA they did say - this is not quite in line with the spirit of AF's pricing structure. Many times I booked directly with Air France (call centre) who were absolutely fine with it.

Additionally, on that route there were a number of other "regulars" that I'd see on the monday morning/friday evening flights and after 18 months we got to know each other quite well - most of them (all Plat) confirmed that they also booked back to back.

So on that particular route, there were at least 10 people on a 110 seater every week very unsubtly and blatantly booking back to backs - I would suggest AF knows this is happening, and would act if they thought they could (or maybe they just accept that as being a segment of traveller that they are OK with).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
The underlined piece in the quote. To "circumvent a min-stay", could you give an example?
Sorry, my iphone does not show underlined pieces. The OP's scenario has obviously been designed to get cheaper tickets by getting around a minimum stay restriction. (But as we learned in this thread, while Af might not like it, they do not seem to be particularly keen on taking any action.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.