Wiki Posts
Search

Is this even legal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: many
Is this even legal

I was quoted tax and surcharges of over EUR400 for flights on a Thursday but about EUR200 for two days earlier. Same route (ABZ > CDG > MCO), same time, different day. The guy on the phone said that the tax can change per day. When I looked closer at the charges online it appears that the surcharges were EUR0 on the Tuesday but EUR128 on the Thursday. To make matters worse, they dont charge a surcharge on the Thursday if you book split tickets, only if you book a single ticket. So, it seems it is a levy on making it easy to do business with them. This was only one part of a very frustrating attempt to book award tickets, which seems to have ended in failure. The good news is that the ticket price with Opodo is only a little more than the price using Air Miles so why do we even need Air Miles???? This is the third time I have tried to book award tickets with FB and every time it has been a hassle. They even changed the dates of my award tickets on one occasion without telling me. Which all leads me to conclude that my loyalty is best served elsewhere. Does anyone know of a FF program that doesn't have surcharges and is easy to do business with?

Last edited by Gass; Dec 15, 2010 at 6:18 am
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:47 am
Original Poster

More tax woes

I have also just noticed that the tax on a flight AMS > CDG > NYC is less than a flight from CDG > NYC. How can this be legal and possible?

Last edited by Gass; Dec 15, 2010 at 12:17 am
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Gass
I was quoted tax and surcharges of over EUR400 for flights on a Thursday but EUR for two days later. Same route, same time, different day. The guy on the phone said that the tax can change per day. When I looked closer at the charges online it appears that the surcharges were EUR0 on the Tuesday but EUR128 on the Thursday. To make matters worse, they dont charge a surcharge on the Thursday if you book split tickets, only if you book a single ticket. So, it seems it is a levy on making it easy to do business with them. This was only one part of a very frustrating attempt to book award tickets, which seems to have ended in failure. The good news is that the ticket price with Opodo is only a little more than the price using Air Miles so why do we even need Air Miles???? This is the third time I have tried to book award tickets with FB and every time it has been a hassle. They even changed the dates of my award tickets on one occasion without telling me. Which all leads me to conclude that my loyalty is best served elsewhere. Does anyone know of a FF program that doesn't have surcharges and is easy to do business with?
I am not sure that I understood all elements of your grievance, but it surely sounds like a frustrating experience.

As for your question about a FF program without surcharges - I am not aware of any, but I do not know that many. Indeed I have often found that purchasing a ticket rather than getting it through miles is a better deal.

As for ease of doing business with, I'd say it depends upon your status. With M&M if you are a "blue" level customer I would assume that it's a little painful as well. If you are a "gold" level (=Senator), then you don't have to do through the FFP call centre, but you can call the much more competent and customer-friendly Senator service. Having said that, with Flying Blue even being Platinum you find transactions hasslesome.

Good luck
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:58 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I was quoted tax and surcharges of over EUR400 for flights on a Thursday but EUR for two days later. Same route, same time, different day. The guy on the phone said that the tax can change per day. When I looked closer at the charges online it appears that the surcharges were EUR0 on the Tuesday but EUR128 on the Thursday. To make matters worse, they dont charge a surcharge on the Thursday if you book split tickets, only if you book a single ticket. So, it seems it is a levy on making it easy to do business with them. This was only one part of a very frustrating attempt to book award tickets, which seems to have ended in failure. The good news is that the ticket price with Opodo is only a little more than the price using Air Miles so why do we even need Air Miles????
What was your routing?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
I have also just noticed that the tax on a flight AMS > CDG > NYC is less thna a flught from CDG > NYC. How can this be legal and possible?
On award tickets or revenue tickets ?

When you're doing a AMS -> CDG -> NYC, you have taxes for a departure in AMS and transit taxes in CDG, whereas on a CDG -> NYC, departure taxes from CDG apply.

It can be that departure taxes AMS + transit taxes CDG are lower than departure taxes in CDG.

I'll take a look tomorrow :/
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:16 am
Original Poster

These are for award tickets.

The routing was ABZ > CDG > MCO

Hi Mokshu, did you get a chance to look into this?

Last edited by Gajan; Dec 15, 2010 at 2:22 am Reason: Merged 3 posts into 1
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
About your question if this would be legal; It would. Whatever their pricing scheme is, you do not have to buy their product if you dont like it. Nobody forces you. So yes its legal....perhaps its driving away customers, but thats a different matter.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is seldom attractive to use award miles for AF tickets in Y return tickets.
Some airlines apply huge surcharges (AF, BA) others do not (especially US airlines), while most apply the same "taxes" as on rev tickets.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Agreed, however they show the amount as "Tax", not "Tax and surcharges" until later in the process. If not illegal it is certainly mis-leading.

Does anyone know if there is an Official or Unofficial Flying Blue Passenger/User Group? I am thoroughly fed up with FB. I am tempted to use my AirMiles and switch loyalty however, my home airport doesn't offer too many options therefore, I would prefer to participate in a user group if there is one.

Last edited by Gajan; Dec 15, 2010 at 6:36 am Reason: Merge posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by creber
As for your question about a FF program without surcharges - I am not aware of any, but I do not know that many. Indeed I have often found that purchasing a ticket rather than getting it through miles is a better deal.
I thought you could buy out of all your taxes and fees on an award ticket for 5K-10K miles with LH.

Also, most U.S. airlines have greatly reduced the fees they charge on award tickets to just the very basics they charge on a rev ticket. I've seen $5 surcharges for a UA flight to Canada, $45 (Canadian taxes...) for the return.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Rus925
I thought you could buy out of all your taxes and fees on an award ticket for 5K-10K miles with LH.
12k, and only intra-Europe?

At least that was what I paid last year for BHX-FRA-MSQ return.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jms_uk

Hm. I definitely remember seeing 5K at one point. Maybe it's inflation...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by jms_uk

You can do the same offline on FB.
7500 Miles per coupon for intra Europe flights only.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mokshu
You can do the same offline on FB.
7500 Miles per coupon for intra Europe flights only.
coupon = segment?

For an itinerary like mine above [UK-AMS/CDG-Europe] that would be 30k fare + 30k taxes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.