Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody know what "Abonnes" is?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Question Anybody know what "Abonnés" is?

Sorry for this display of my ignorance, but does anybody know what "ABONNES" means when printed on one's boarding pass?

I recently did a BOM-CDG-EDI trip (booked on a sub-eco fare); at check-in (@BOM) my BOM-CDG BP has "Tempo" printed at the bottom (as expected), but the nice lady put me in a 'premium' (i.e. bulkhead) seat at the front of the Y cabin. The BP for the CDG-EDI leg (CityJet operated) has "Abonnes" instead of "Tempo".

What is this? I was in 4F, immediately behind the class divider, so I'm not sure whether this counts as an upgrade. Also, I may have been offered J-class snacks/drinks, but I was out cold for pretty much the whole flight.

I would much appreciate clarification.

Thanks,
-- Henry

Last edited by Henry III; Mar 24, 2009 at 10:09 am
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Bronze, LH FQTV
Abonnés (litterally "subscribers") is a fare for holders of a card of the same name who enjoy the benefits of a full Y fare on domestic and/or COI flights without paying the full fare (something like a 20-30% rebate). The benefits are the domestic version of Tempo Challenge (front of the economy class). Obviously, you had a Tempo Challenge upgrade (what a treat!).
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Doc! Indeed, a French colleague has given me the same translation ... pardon, mes amis, mais je parle Francais comme un enfant Gallois!

What confused me is that CityJet don't have Tempo Challenge on their metal, but at least I got ushered through the fast security/passport lanes at CDG.

Perhaps they tried/wanted to u/g me to Affaires but, after (a very early) check-in they may have moved the class-divider forward a row or two.

If it should happen again, I'll point out the BP to the FAs!

--Henry
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:02 pm

Abonnés

This card may also be valid overseas, for the following destinations from mainland France : FDF, PTP, CAY and RUN.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: FB Silver, QR Silver, LeClub Accor Silver, PC Plat
I fly regularly between DUB and CDG and also always get that ABONNES thing, even though I don't have the card, and always get front of the cabin seats... don't really know why as I am almost always flying with low fares tickets...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Maybe (!?) it's AF trying their best to "look after" their most valued customers. This seems to be happening more and more (to me, at least) in recent months: quite a few upgrades to Tempo Challenge on really low fares. However, I've yet to get an AF u/g on long-haul!

So now, maybe they're giving Elites (are you Gold/Plat, honker?) the privileges associated with the Abonnement (I think that's what it's called, but I've probably spelt it wrong) card. ^

But remember, I'm an optimist!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:07 pm

No, I'm not Gold/plat HenryIII, I was under 18 when I opened my Frequence Plus account and therefore am still stuck with that Frequence Jeune card, which gives me 4000 miles every 6 flights but dont allow me to get elite status...
But now that they rip us off with their new earning structure, i'm glad I can get those extra 4000 every now and then...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Elites get on all economy-only flights operated by Regional aircraft as well as on domestic flights access to the premium seats which are one of the benefits for Abonnés.

it does not mean tempo challenge upgrade since these single-cabin flights without curtain / domestic flights do only offer a single class.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Yesterday I was flying one segment CDG-DUB (of total Tempo PEK-CDG-DUB) and my boarding stub read Abonnes. No difference in my usual routine (more or less same seat in either row 4 or 5 either side just behind the ridiculous C cabin) weather it reads Abonnes or not so what is the difference?

The snack, drink and/or seat is the same as anyone else’s further back in the cabin...

The miles earned are that same (374 - i.e. 25% of 1,500 miles) so nothing new there...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
...but they use more ink when printing out the "Abonnes" on your BP, so you should feel privileged.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by chrissxb
Elites get on all economy-only flights operated by Regional aircraft as well as on domestic flights access to the premium seats which are one of the benefits for Abonnés.
Yes, that's why it is written "abonné" on your BP.
I am not sure that it is for all elite but for elite + only?
I fly from Paris to Biarritz in a few days , on a very cheap class, but my electronic ticket mention "abonné"( I am Plat) and I could reserve the first row as soon it will be available on AF site, as a "real" abonné...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:38 am

The Abonnes thing happened to me again on my last flight from CDG to DUB and the guy from AF told me I had the ABONNES thing because my company paid for my ticket and I use that route regularly... not sure I am convinced though.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:46 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by honker
The Abonnes thing happened to me again on my last flight from CDG to DUB and the guy from AF told me I had the ABONNES thing because my company paid for my ticket and I use that route regularly... not sure I am convinced though.
Hmmm... I pay for all my AF flights myself and still it says Abonnes, but yes I frequently use the CityJet connection through CDG from DUB...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.