Wiki Posts
Search

Paris CDG to Lyon XYD TGV question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB PE
Paris CDG to Lyon XYD TGV question

I have never changed from AF plane to TGV. Having searched, I know that you have to change your AF ticket for a TGV one at the CDG TGV station, but what about seat reservation? Possible to do before? Useful or necessary? Or does this happen at the first (OLCI) flight check-in automatically? And what happens if flight is delayed? Will SNCF put me on the next train without problem?

thanks for help
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:28 am
In memoriam

I would absolutely get a reservation before getting to CDG. A couple or so years ago I and a friend arrived at CDG from the States with the idea that we would just hop on the TGV and head for Lyon. No go. At that time, at least, you had to have a reserved seat to buy a ticket. And, there were no reserved seats available for two days (this was in early June). Also, apparently, you had to somehow change trains in Paris to get to Lyon.

After considering our options, we rented a car and headed out on the Auto Route.

By the way, many years ago, I did get on the TGV without a seat reservation (from Paris to the Alps). The conductor went crazy. A safety rule. All passengers must have a seat. Eventually, it turned out they had a couple of jump seats for this sort of situation and I was not put off the (moving) train and even, after a couple of hours, got a regular seat. But, I am not a student now. Don't want to try it again.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:17 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by scotcat
I have never changed from AF plane to TGV. Having searched, I know that you have to change your AF ticket for a TGV one at the CDG TGV station, but what about seat reservation?

You have to go the the TGV AIR's counter to change your AF ticket for a TGV one (you go downstairs one level at the TGV station, the TGV Air counter is in the same area as the other SNCF counter. Dedicated counter, so less waiting time). That gives you a reserved seat in a TGV.

Possible to do before? Useful or necessary? Or does this happen at the first (OLCI) flight check-in automatically?

You have a reserved seat for the TGV scheduled on your AF ticket (under AF Flight's number)

And what happens if flight is delayed? Will SNCF put me on the next train without problem?

You can change the schedule with the agreement of the SNCF's controller for the same day.

thanks for help
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB PE
G_G, thanks a lot for that, makes things very clear
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:26 am
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
... A safety rule. All passengers must have a seat. Eventually, it turned out they had a couple of jump seats for this sort of situation and I was not put off the (moving) train and even, after a couple of hours, got a regular seat. ...
In fact there are some additional seats on the platform, but without the level of comfort of the normal seats.

Now regarding the safety point, and just as an additional information, it is not a problem with the passenger own safety (you have no obligation to remain in your seat in the TGV) but for the TGV itself.

It has mainly to see with the braking capacities of the train sets: the weights of passengers and luggage have been considered for a certain value, so that braking distances would always be respected whatever the conditions (bad weather leading to slipping rails, some brakes out of the service, etc.).
If too many additional passengers were allowed on board, there would be a risk of not respecting the planned braking distances (and this is the keypoint of the railways safety).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.