Wiki Posts
Search

Which B777 on LAX-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Which B777 on LAX-CDG

I'm looking at booking an award seat on AF, but my interest level depends a lot on the 1st seats. I haven't been able to find out which B777 version flies LAX-CDG. Can anyone here help ?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: FB Ivory, BD Silver, BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, Goldpoints plus Silver
I have read somewhere it was the new B777-300, at least on AF73/74. (used to be AF70 and AF71, but now AF73/AF673 and AF74/674)
I am looking forward to trying it (in Business though) next month on my way to PPT! (LHR-CDG-LAX-PPT)
By the way, any comments on the new AF73 B777/AF673 A340 change in LAX? Is it going smoothly? DO we have to clear customs with our luggage or is through check-in allowed??
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: LH Silver, AA Gold (former FB Plat, UA Gold)
AF LAX-CDG cabins

Originally Posted by dgwright99
I'm looking at booking an award seat on AF, but my interest level depends a lot on the 1st seats. I haven't been able to find out which B777 version flies LAX-CDG. Can anyone here help ?
AF flies at least 3 different aircraft on this route, under at least 4 different flight numbers, depending on the day-- all, it seems, having the newer NEV seats, but not all having an F cabin. In Feb-07, for example, you'll find:

AF 65, 777-200, 4 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1
AF 67, 777-300, 8 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1
AF 69, 777-300, 8 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1
AF 73, Mondays, A340-300, no F cabin, but at least 36 J seats, 2x2x2, NEV
AF 73, Fri/Sat/Sun, 777-300, 8 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1

Last edited by flyert; Nov 17, 2006 at 10:16 am
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
I'll find out in another couple weeks whether the 777 configurations and amenities have changed on the LAX-CDG route when I fly AF business class again out of LAX over the holidays. For the last nine months I avoided AF after I was disappointed last spring that the 777 business class cabin between LAX and CDG did not seem to offer two features that I thought AF advertised/hyped on its website as standard amenities for long-haul USA-Europe flights:

(1) The 777 in neither direction had any electrical outlet for computers.

(2) The LAX-CDG 777 evening flight had no lie-flat seats in business class when I really wanted to sleep. I only had lie-flat on the way home CDG-LAX flight when it is daytime for the entire flight itinerary anyway.

In addition, the inflight entertainment also seemed dated, not the same full on demand service as on the KLM and NW Airbus planes.

My hope has been that AF is upgrading the cabins over time and that I will see improvements on my December trip.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I'm flying AF 65 in a couple of days. I was told by the CSR that the flight will have the old seats.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyert
AF flies at least 3 different aircraft on this route, under at least 4 different flight numbers, depending on the day-- all, it seems, having the newer NEV seats, but not all having an F cabin. In Feb-07, for example, you'll find:

AF 65, 777-200, 4 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1
AF 67, 777-300, 8 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1
AF 69, 777-300, 8 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1
AF 73, Mondays, A340-300, no F cabin, but at least 36 J seats, 2x2x2, NEV
AF 73, Fri/Sat/Sun, 777-300, 8 F seats, NEV, 1x2x1
Thanks ! That was just what I needed !

Just out of interest, is this from personal knowledge, or is the info available someplace online ?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I just flew on AF 73 last Tuesday in business. Was lovely with the new aircraft & configuration.

First class cabin looked nice too, but in business there were flat seats, quite good dinner, breakfast & wine services--beef & chicken were tender in juices that didn't have the consistency of toothpaste, and the french toast didn't induce an onset of diabetes.

The in-flight movies were not that interesting, but it was the first red-eye flight I remember in which I actually passed out for almost the entire duration in comfort. I had always flown KL in WBC but will now consider AF biz for future longhauls, which seem to be a better product (little Delft houses and delayed baggage from CDG regardless).

I had considered an award ticket in first for AF 73 as well, but I couldn't see that a ticket in first would be worth that extra 40k miles, unless they sprinkled diamonds in the potatoes or something

Hope that helps, if a wee bit wordy!
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by am3n3
I had considered an award ticket in first for AF 73 as well, but I couldn't see that a ticket in first would be worth that extra 40k miles, unless they sprinkled diamonds in the potatoes or something

Hope that helps, if a wee bit wordy!
extra 40k miles? isn't it 100k instead of 80k
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: LH Silver, AA Gold (former FB Plat, UA Gold)
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Thanks ! That was just what I needed !

Just out of interest, is this from personal knowledge, or is the info available someplace online ?
I and many others here subscribe to expertflyer.com, which I find an invaluable resource (~$10/month for unlimited queries of flight schedules, booking class availability, and seat maps). Others here use the donation-ware KVS availability tool (do a search for that).

Also note that the LAX-CDG routes I quoted in my original post were for dates in Feb-2007. I've found that AF aircraft/flight numbers/flight times can change frequently on this route, so it's worth checking regularly.

For example, I booked 2 CDG-LAX F award seats at the end of April 2006 for dates in Dec 06-Jan 07, and our flight numbers, aircraft, and/or flight times were changed by AF no less than five times between May and October! If I hadn't been checking our reservation frequently on checkmytrip.com (Amadeus portal), I wonder if I would have ever known before showing up at the airport! (Also, our "pre-assigned" seats were lost by the system at least twice during these changes...)
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I and many others here subscribe to expertflyer.com, which I find an invaluable resource (~$10/month for unlimited queries of flight schedules, booking class availability, and seat maps). Others here use the donation-ware KVS availability tool (do a search for that)
Thanks ! I'm still learning ! Now you've pointed it out, I can see that the info I was after was staring me in the face on KVS all along !
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:27 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
I and many others here subscribe to expertflyer.com, which I find an invaluable resource (~$10/month for unlimited queries of flight schedules, booking class availability, and seat maps). Others here use the donation-ware KVS availability tool (do a search for that).
As I only use Windows at work (and a Mac at home) I subscribe to ExpertFlyer as KVS is a Windows app. Does it offer anything, that's not in ExpertFlyer?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:02 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
extra 40k miles? isn't it 100k instead of 80k
Oops, I stand corrected; was getting confused with award flights to Asia
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: Cont'l Gold One Pass, Intercont'l Gold Ambassador
LAX CDG Cabins

For what it's worth... I just returned on Nov.17 on flight 62 in business, and left on the Nov. 8th via flight 65, also in business. Both flights had OTC seats, and I have never had a more disappointing business class experience. The seats and equipment were disgustingly old, dirty and virtually useless. The food and service were also laughable on both flights Although I was able to book my ticket with ff miles, I paid full fare for my son to travel with me, and can honestly say that I have never wasted so much money in my life

Last edited by MissThe90's; Dec 4, 2006 at 4:03 pm
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissThe90's
For what it's worth... I just returned on Nov.17 on flight 62 in business, and left on the Nov. 8th via flight 65, also in business. Both flights had OTC seats, and I have never experienced a more disappointing business class experience. The seats and equipment were disgustingly old, dirty and virtually useless. The food and service were also laughable on both flights Although I was able to book my ticket with ff miles, I paid full fare for my son to travel with me, and can honestly say that I have never wasted so much money in my life
Thanks for the confirmation about the older seats. That's why I was asking ! I'll be flying AF73/74; I ended up in J, as I couldn't get F using CO miles.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:56 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by MissThe90's
For what it's worth... I just returned on Nov.17 on flight 62 in business, and left on the Nov. 8th via flight 65, also in business. Both flights had OTC seats, and I have never experienced a more disappointing business class experience. The seats and equipment were disgustingly old, dirty and virtually useless. The food and service were also laughable on both flights Although I was able to book my ticket with ff miles, I paid full fare for my son to travel with me, and can honestly say that I have never wasted so much money in my life
Your experience could not have been more different than mine. I flew AF J Class 65 on Nov. 19. Although,OTC configuration, I had the most wonderful, attentive crew with exemplary service. You may call the food "laughable", I thought it among the best J class catering I have ever experienced. This was a great flight from all aspects. The seats may have been old, but they were comfortable and the cabin was immaculate. I asked the FA's about the NTC aircraft. They occasionally show up on the LAX/CDG/LAX route but it's hit or miss. Even the FA's don't know what to expect when they board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.