Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG - NRT - AF L'Espace Affaires experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
CDG - NRT - AF L'Espace Affaires experiences?

As part of my round the world Skyteam biz class itinerary (yes, actually for business, not a MR), I'm flying AF biz from CDG to NRT. Can anybody share their experiences? Do they have a decent Japanese bento meal or should I stick with the regular menu? How does the 772 compare to the 77W; is one aircraft better than the other?

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:43 am

Programs: DL PM, FB Plat, LH SEN, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by elitefreak
As part of my round the world Skyteam biz class itinerary (yes, actually for business, not a MR), I'm flying AF biz from CDG to NRT. Can anybody share their experiences? Do they have a decent Japanese bento meal or should I stick with the regular menu? How does the 772 compare to the 77W; is one aircraft better than the other?

Thanks.
Since the 772 is still OTC, while the 77W is NTC, I would definitely take the 77W (midnight departure).
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by zurichflyer
Since the 772 is still OTC, while the 77W is NTC, I would definitely take the 77W (midnight departure).
All AF-operated CDG-NRT flights, including AF276 by B772ER are operated with NTC by now. The 6 weekly 11.45am departure AF272 uses a mixture of A332 and A343 right now, whereas the midnight departure AF278 goes with the B773ER. But all of them use the new C-class.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club

Thanks.
Flew this route last February with the non-refurbished Business cabins on the 777. Looks like all the flights are now on refurbished planes, according to a poster above. No bento meals on the flights I took.

I've flown many routes on AF in Business, and I was very surprised by the service on this route. The CDG-NRT flight was extremely mediocre. But the NRT-CDG flight was the worst (by far) I have ever experienced on AF in ANY class of service. I won't go into the details, but I just couldn't believe that first time Asian business travelers on AF (and there seemed to be quite a few of them in my cabin, judging from their lack of familairity with things like the seats/video, amenity kits, etc.) would ever try AF again after that flight.

I usually praise AF, but that flight was a shame for the company and their public image. I'm hoping it was just a strange coincidence (both flights to/from NRT being sub-par experiences) - AF surely can't afford that kind of service on that kind of route.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Flew CDG-NRT-CDG in June on the late flights (77W). I think that AF new seat is among the best of lie-flat seats. The problem with those late flights (departing at 23:25 from CDG and 21:55 from NRT) is that they use it as an excuse to only serve a "supper" rather than a regular "dinner". Hence you get limited choice (when choice is still available). Of course, there is no pre-flight dinner in the lounge, no warm food and only a couple of cheap sandwiches (but you have to be on the watch as they immediately disappear).My flight CDG-NRT was nevertheless enjoyable with good food and decent wines. Good service. I shared Blairvanhorn experience on the NRT-CDG flight. Poor food, poor service. I am not aware of any Japanese meal on either flight. The lounge in NRT is small and some pax could not find seats.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
I've flown many routes on AF in Business, and I was very surprised by the service on this route. The CDG-NRT flight was extremely mediocre. But the NRT-CDG flight was the worst (by far) I have ever experienced on AF in ANY class of service. I won't go into the details, but I just couldn't believe that first time Asian business travelers on AF (and there seemed to be quite a few of them in my cabin, judging from their lack of familairity with things like the seats/video, amenity kits, etc.) would ever try AF again after that flight.

I usually praise AF, but that flight was a shame for the company and their public image. I'm hoping it was just a strange coincidence (both flights to/from NRT being sub-par experiences) - AF surely can't afford that kind of service on that kind of route.
My own NRT-CDG flight on the 77W in F this August was horrible as well. I regretted spending miles for the upgrade. Shortly before leaving, the flight still listed P7 and I was indeed the only one in the F lounge. Having had the very best service I've ever experienced on any airline on the CDG-NRT leg (the flight attendand's name was Hassan), I was looking forward to a nice flight back. Then when boarding the table next to the seat was broken - actually the whole cover was missing. When I asked to sit at a different seat the flight attendant said that all seats were taken since they were full, and indeed it turned out that there were 7 op-ups to F that all got the working seats while I had the broken one. Furthermore, the video screen also did not work since it wa stuck in the broken seat, with the only comment by the FA being that I was anyway not allowed to watch video during takeoff and landing. I am still pondering whether it's worth writing to AF and complaining about the experience.

So on one round trip in F I experienced the best and worst possible service I've had on AF. I guess you have to be lucky. Flying soon afterwards CDG-KIX-CDG in J at least I had consistent service, worse than the best of F service, but much better than the worst.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
I am still pondering whether it's worth writing to AF and complaining about the experience.
Yes, write to them and explain precisely what happened. AF will usually deposit miles into your FB account as a "commercial gesture" for an incident such as this .

... at least I had consistent service, worse than the best of F service, but much better than the worst.
Are you a diplomat? Or a politician?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
YAre you a diplomat? Or a politician?
No, just getting sarcastic :-)
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
New acronyms on me, gang. OTC? NTC? I think you are referring to the old biz class vs the new.

BTW (that one I know), I'm on AF272. So is the consensus that I will enjoy the flight (sounds like a yes).

And no bento? That surprises me . . .
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New acronyms on me, gang. OTC? NTC? I think you are referring to the old biz class vs the new.
Yes, OTC = old cabins/seats NTC = new cabins/seats
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Krisflyer Gold, Die-hard Saint's fan !
My own NRT-CDG flight on the 77W in F this August was horrible as well. I regretted spending miles for the upgrade. Shortly before leaving, the flight still listed P7 and I was indeed the only one in the F lounge. Having had the very best service I've ever experienced on any airline on the CDG-NRT leg (the flight attendand's name was Hassan), I was looking forward to a nice flight back. Then when boarding the table next to the seat was broken - actually the whole cover was missing. When I asked to sit at a different seat the flight attendant said that all seats were taken since they were full, and indeed it turned out that there were 7 op-ups to F that all got the working seats while I had the broken one. Furthermore, the video screen also did not work since it wa stuck in the broken seat, with the only comment by the FA being that I was anyway not allowed to watch video during takeoff and landing. I am still pondering whether it's worth writing to AF and complaining about the experience.

So on one round trip in F I experienced the best and worst possible service I've had on AF. I guess you have to be lucky. Flying soon afterwards CDG-KIX-CDG in J at least I had consistent service, worse than the best of F service, but much better than the worst.
I really second you on that ! I experienced absolutely the same thing in last April ! inboound was simply fantastic, the service was the highest I've ever ever seen on any airline in F (I have flown many) but the outbound was a complete disaster (the supper...in F...even the C dinner in NWA was actually better ).
I complaint and got some pretty good compensations. It worths a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.