AF and "flat tire" rule

Old Sep 10, 06, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: big pimpin'
AF and "flat tire" rule

hey all

anyone know if AF has any "flat tire" rule provisions in their contract of carriage? thanks!

Last edited by arfgoblue; Sep 10, 06 at 6:34 pm
Old Sep 11, 06, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The answer is no and, if this happens at CDG, expect no sympathy whatsoever and be prepared to AF telling you that your ticket is now worthless and that you need to buy a new one (unless it is a flexible/refundable fare, of course).
Old Sep 11, 06, 3:52 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
If I understand the "flat tire" clause correctly, no, there isn't one in AF 's contract of carriage. In addition, as for most European airlines as opposed to US airlines, the value of the unused ticket cannot be used for the purchase of another ticket.

On the other hand, I was successful once in modifying the lowest of the lowest AF fares, in unfortunate circumstances. I was using the RER to reach CDG from the very end of the RER line. Someone committed suicide and traffic was interrupted for over two hours South of Antony. My travel agent had called their counterparts in AF and I was told to go to the ticketing desk at CDG. When I arrived, along with about 50 other unlucky travellers, AF decided to accept changes just this one time for all of us. This allowed me to take the later flight to LAX and to connect to an OZ flight to SEL, also on a cheap fare. I was really lucky, and although my connection time in LAX was reduced from 10 hours to less than 2 hours, I was really glad as I am sure OZ would not have been interested in bending their rules for a suburban train incident in Paris . I learned a few things on this occasion and have been more cautious ever since.
Old Sep 11, 06, 4:10 am

I suspect that the person who committed suicide had probably just left the airport after enduring a hellishly long and kafkaesque "bus tour of CDG" transfer resulting in him or her missing the connecting flight and being told that their AF ticket was now worthless.
Old Sep 11, 06, 4:56 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
No, it was a plain ordinary suicide as we regularly have on the RATP network. This is one of the reasons why RATP is looking at extending the Meteor (line 14) system of gates, which is also used for some tube stations in London.
Old Sep 11, 06, 5:08 am

Programs: QFF
Can you explain the flat tyre rule? never heard of it.

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 06, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This refers to the situation where you miss your flight in circumstances that suggest that you genuinely missed it against your will and best efforts to make it on time rather than deliberately flouting the rules of your ticket (say missing the check-in deadline by a few minutes as opposed to turning up a couple of hours later). US airlines will normally let you get on the next available flight at no extra charge provided you arrive after the deadline for your flight but before a specified cut-off point. European airlines normally expect you to rely on your travel insurance to get reimbursement for the additional cost, although some airlines are more flexible on this than others.
My own experience with AF has not been as positive as Jouy31. The most leniency I have experienced from AF was to ask me to buy a new ticket at half the cheapest available return fare in the currently available fare bucket rather than the full walk-up one-way fare, with the agent stating that they were bending over backwards in doing so. A free rebooking either on a confirmed on standby basis was an absolute no-no under any circumstances, unless a fault could be attributed to AF, the agent indicated.
Old Sep 11, 06, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold
Yup, that's my experience too. Missed a CDG-LHR because of severe delays on the RER (I ended up going back into the city and getting the AF bus) and was simply told to buy a new ticket. Which I did, but not on AF
Old Sep 12, 06, 9:10 am

What would be the situation with an award ticket ?
Old Sep 12, 06, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Airframe
What would be the situation with an award ticket ?
If you are going to miss a flight on an award ticket not booked with Open Miles, you need to call FB BEFORE the flight you will not be taking and either rebook it with a change fee, provided there are award seats available on the new flight, or cancel the flight and have the miles refunded, with a cancellation fee. You can do this by phone, but it must be done BEFORE the original scheduled flight is supposed to depart.
Old Sep 13, 06, 4:33 pm

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Strange that you haven't had very good experiences - I can remember at least three times were my dirt-cheap ticket was re-booked (once a broken RER, once Snow and once a car crash at 6am on a Monday morning on the CDG exit from the A1 which had traffic backed up to Le Bourget.

In each case it was clear that somebody in management had issued instructions to rebook everybody with no penalty (in each occasion there were a lot of us).

Even better, was that each time I was waitlisted (due to the number of people being re-booked) and got priority waitlist treatment due to the FP Rouge status despite paying very little...
Old Sep 14, 06, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
If you are going to miss a flight on an award ticket not booked with Open Miles, you need to call FB BEFORE the flight you will not be taking and either rebook it with a change fee provided there are award seats available on the new flight
In other words, you'd be out of luck. How many award seats are ever available on the next departing flight to any given destination? Not many.