Community
Wiki Posts
Search

strike on AF at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
strikes are an almsot everyday occurance in France.

Please,do not exaggerate.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
As usual, Steve's delivery is painful and perhaps a bit exagerrated, but there's a kernel of truth in there. After 3+ yrs in the UK, I have personally been affected by strikes in France on two separate occasions, once when the air traffic controllers went on strike (leaving us stranded) and another time when lorry drivers blocked motorway (was that due to fuel prices? can't remember). Both of these happened on leisure trips to France (we take about 3/yr) and caused great aggravation and considerable extra expense.

Okay, maybe I'm unlucky and this is purely anecdotal but I've never had a strike affect me anywhere else.

For those of us on this side of la Manche it seems every time we pick up a paper and read about a strike, it's happening in France!

So please forgive British people for having this impression of France but please also understand it wasn't concocted out of thin air!

Now, back to topic...
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:14 am

Programs: KLM
Originally Posted by Colkurt

Please,do not exaggerate.
If it's an exaggeration, you have to wonder why, during the recent Olympics presentations in Singapore, Chirac made a point of getting the French trade unions to promise not to strike if Paris got the games. Surely the French don't have a reputation for this sort of thing!!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Andy_S
If it's an exaggeration, you have to wonder why, during the recent Olympics presentations in Singapore, Chirac made a point of getting the French trade unions to promise not to strike if Paris got the games. Surely the French don't have a reputation for this sort of thing!!
It was to reassure English traumatized by the only strike they experienced in their life(since Thatcher), which led them to think French workers spend their whole time taking strike action. You have a stereotyped vision of France which is particularly disturbing. Hearing you one can think 1789 has never ceased!!

BTW since Steve Fenton seem to hold a precise calculation of the many strikes which occur everyday in France, maybe he can tell us how many strikes he counted yesterday?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colkurt
It was to reassure English traumatized by the only strike they experienced in their life(since Thatcher), which led them to think French workers spend their whole time taking strike action. You have a stereotyped vision of France which is particularly disturbing. Hearing you one can think 1789 has never ceased!!
Well, this is the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it? No less a stereotyped vision of the UK as of France.
It is a matter of perspective. Having lived for 25 years in France and some 15 years in the UK, it does feel, seen from here, that dsiruptions to the transport system, whether in the form of strikes or blockades, are substantially higher than in other European countries (perhaps with the exception of Italy), which is rather surprising given the very low level of unionisation in France (perhaps more French workers should put their money where their mouth is and pay their union dues ).
It seems that strikes are used more often pre-emptively in France, comparatively early on in negotiations so as to establish a stronger negotiating position or as a routine mode of expressing discontent with governmental policy, rather than as a last resort as tends to be the case in the UK. It feels that French unions need to compensate for their relatively low representativity by striking.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by NickB
perhaps more French workers should put their money where their mouth is and pay their union dues .
I totally agree with you!

Originally Posted by NickB
It seems that strikes are used more often pre-emptively in France, comparatively early on in negotiations so as to establish a stronger negotiating position or as a routine mode of expressing discontent with governmental policy, rather than as a last resort as tends to be the case in the UK. It feels that French unions need to compensate for their relatively low representativity by striking.
You catch on quickly! I prefer your statement -scientifically set out- to the Steve Fenton's verbal diarrhoea.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
ok, can we now please get back on topic of the eventual AF strike at CDG and enough of labour policies of France and the UK? This thread has very little to do with FB right now!

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is not who strikes, it is the "fraternite" among all the workers. I will never forget being on a flight in Nice when the cleaners were on strike. I was on the plane and about 5 minutes before pushbackl three workers walked onto the plane and SAT in the aisles. They remained there for at least 40 minutes and the cabin crew not only didn't ask them to leave but SERVED THEM WATER and talked nicely with them (they didn't bother serving any passengers anything!!). After 40 minutes the police entered the plane, as soon as they did the workers got up and walked off, the police were EXTREMEMLY nice to them and did not arrest them. This of course made 3/4 of the plane miss its connections which of course cost AF untold thousands of dollars (although of course AF tried to make it difficult to give everyone hotel rooms, etc. , to be expected at all times by AF).

I have never ever seen anything close to this anywhere else.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Like I said to the origional post this is something I would expect to be seen a lot of now the merger has taken place
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:27 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
a strike at AF?? noooo.. never.. I cannot believe it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.