Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF fuel surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
There are other differences between the US and the European markets; among them
- non cancellable / non refundable tickets are lost in Europe in case of no-shows, they can be used for the purchase of new tickets in the US
- full fare Y in Europe does not allow you to change airlines, in the US it does

So, there are specificities for regional markets. Whether they fall in the category of unfair or anti-competitive practices will be determined on a case by case basis. Some of them will be judged illegal, others will not.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:17 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
what will happen otherwise

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't mind paying extra for costly fuel. But I do mind it as a "hidden" charge. It should be part of the main ticket price and we should NOT have to pay any surcharges for award tickets. I can't believe the EU isn't investigating this practice as illegal and misleading consumers.
I don't want to pay fuel surcharges for award tickets too, but has anyone thought what would happen if this practice stops? They will simply increase the cost in miles of an award ticket - the terms of the program allow them to do it, so they will do it.

I personally prefer to know that when I reach the treshold, I can get the award ticket, instead of having a constantly increasing cost and never being able to reach it.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
As the cost of fuel has been lower than 65 USD a barrel over the last 30 days, AF is honoring its commitment to rescind its last fuel surcharge :

- 1 EUR for French domestic flights
- 2 EUR for a medium-haul flight
- 7 EUR for a long-haul flight

This decision applies to tickets sold starting October 6th.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow! I wonder what motivated them to do the honorable thing. It couldn't have been honor, could it?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Wow! I wonder what motivated them to do the honorable thing. It couldn't have been honor, could it?
if you're already ticketed, do they reimburse you?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:41 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
ah ben ça alors, quelle surprise! just after the end of the french special offer for long haul... the CDG NYC for 425 EUR, it would have been great to book it for 411 EUR instead...

Anyway, there will be a similar offer soon, total price will be the same, 14 EUR less in the taxes "box" and 14 EUR more to the base fare!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:52 am
Original Poster

According to an interview given by Pierre-Henri Gourgeon, AF COO, to Le Parisien, AF could rescind a second fuel surcharge in early February. For long-haul flights, the decrease would be EUR 7, bringing down the total fuel surcharge on these flights (one way) to EUR 44.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jan 22, 2007 at 2:25 am
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
According to an interview given by Pierre-Henri Gourgeon, AF COO, to Le Parisien, AF could rescind a second fuel surcharge in early February. For long-haul flights, the decrease would be EUR 7, bringing down the total fuel surcharge on these flights (one way) to EUR 44.
I've been watching the oil price. It fell below $60 a barrel on January 4th, so the thirty days which trigger the above decrease should come into effect on February 3rd. It fell below $55 on January 11th, so I was looking forward to saying that another decrease (to 38 EUR Long-haul, 12 EUR Short-haul and 8 EUR Domestic) would probably come into effect a week later.

However the oil price popped above the $55 mark, for about five minutes, just half-an-hour ago. So even if it drops right back again (the weekly US oil stocks figure which is announced tomorrow at 16h30 Paris time is always a crucial factor) we shall have to start counting the 30 days again from tomorrow.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:42 am
Original Poster

As anticipated and exactly in line with rangerss75's prediction , AF is once again honoring its commitment to lower its fuel surcharge. Effective February 3rd, AF is rescinding its last fuel surcharge, 7 EUR per long-haul segment.

Summary of current AF surcharges :

May 19, 2004 : EUR 3 (short-haul), EUR 3 (medium-haul), EUR 3 (long-haul)
Aug 24, 2004 : EUR 2 (short-haul), EUR 3 (medium-haul), EUR 12 (long-haul)
Oct 11, 2004 : EUR 0 (short-haul), EUR 0 (medium-haul), EUR 11 (long-haul)
Apr 12, 2005 : EUR 1 (short-haul), EUR 2 (medium-haul), EUR 8 (long-haul)
July 19, 2005 : EUR 1 (short-haul), EUR 2 (medium-haul), EUR 4 (long-haul)
Oct 4, 2005 : EUR 1 (short-haul), EUR 2 (medium-haul), EUR 6 (long-haul)

Total : EUR 8 (short-haul), EUR 12 (medium-haul), EUR 44 (long-haul)

Current fuel surcharges for other airlines :
- BA : GBP35 for long-haul flights > 9 hours, GBP 30 for long-haul flights < 9 hours, GBP 8 for other flights
- KL : EUR 50 for long-haul flights, EUR 21 for other flights
- LH : EUR 52 for long-haul flights, EUR 12 for other flights

Last edited by JOUY31; Feb 4, 2007 at 2:56 am
Old Feb 4, 2007, 2:18 am
Original Poster

The price of a barrel of oil is hovering around USD 57.

If the price goes down below USD 55 for a month, the next fuel surcharge to be rescinded would be :

- EUR 6 for long-haul flights
- EUR 2 for medium-haul flights
- EUR 1 for short-haul flights
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Summary of current AF surcharges :

Current fuel surcharges for other airlines :
- BA : GBP35 for long-haul flights > 9 hours, GBP 30 for long-haul flights < 9 hours, GBP 8 for other flights
- KL : EUR 50 for long-haul flights, EUR 21 for other flights
- LH : EUR 52 for long-haul flights, EUR 12 for other flights
Hmmmm, interesting. So the big European 3 are basically in line with each other on medium-haul flights (GBP 8/EUR 12), but KL is EUR 21 a pop? Good to know
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
I just redeemed a long-haul (CDG-MRU) R/T reward and the "taxes" amounted to 157.18 euros per ticket, among which 96.00YQ. So I guess the current fuel surcharge is 48 euros per long haul segment, or is anything else included in YQ?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Calling Flying Blue and after they checked with AF they indeed confirmed that as of Feb. 3 the YQ surcharge that applies for long haul is 48 euros (12 euros for short haul and 16 euros for medium haul).
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by albireo
I just redeemed a long-haul (CDG-MRU) R/T reward and the "taxes" amounted to 157.18 euros per ticket, among which 96.00YQ. So I guess the current fuel surcharge is 48 euros per long haul segment, or is anything else included in YQ?
According to DGAC, the French civil aviation administration, YQ also includes additional insurance costs and security related costs, which were introduced in 2003 by airlines, following 9/11.

http://www.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/h...ager/pas29.pdf (in French)
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by albireo
Calling Flying Blue and after they checked with AF they indeed confirmed that as of Feb. 3 the YQ surcharge that applies for long haul is 48 euros (12 euros for short haul and 16 euros for medium haul).
So YQ includes both the fuel surcharge and an additional 4 EUR levied in a homogeneous fashion for short-haul, medium-haul and long-haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.