Wiki Posts
Search

odd availability

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
odd availability

I really don't understand the availability logic. The E90 has a movable curtain to adjust business class space. They show 9 economy seats available, but only 2 business class seats.

that's the current seat map

Why would they sell 9 economy seats but only 2 business seats?

Reading from the seat map they have at least 3 sold business seats - with two rows there are 5 seats to be filled - assuming that there are three more business class passengers that have no seat reservation would explain why there are only two seats left to sell - however they could simply add another business class row to seat 4 more business class passengers by reducing Y availability by 4 -> resulting in J6 Y5
Old May 14, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: QF LTG
What are you trying to ask? You have provided zero context about airline or anything. Just because a plane has a moveable curtain doesn’t mean they adjust it between every single flight, that would be absurd.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:49 am

Programs: DL GM, TK Elite+, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat
This probably isn't the right forum, but:

There's 5 seats on sale. 2 in J, 2 in C, 1 in D.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Did you intend to post this in the Air France forum?
Old May 14, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NightlinerVIE
This probably isn't the right forum, but:

There's 5 seats on sale. 2 in J, 2 in C, 1 in D.
This is not true. There are only two seats on sale. They are willing to sell both of them at J or C fares/prices, but only one of them at D fares/prices.
hhdl and PLeblond like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveller 935
Did you intend to post this in the Air France forum?
oops - yes - happens when you have too many open browser tabs 🙈
Old May 14, 2024, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
What are you trying to ask? You have provided zero context about airline or anything. Just because a plane has a moveable curtain doesn’t mean they adjust it between every single flight, that would be absurd.
they can/do move the curtain after each flight if necessary. it's not absurd. they even move the curtain while it is still on sale - based on demand
Old May 14, 2024, 1:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
Why would they sell 9 economy seats but only 2 business seats?
Few things you need to keep in mind

Airlines , when possible , decide on such things as fare class and other factors based on forecasting

If no historical data then they hire consultants or use an internal task force to seek a possible busines opportunity for a new route

Otherwise they use what's available from the past to predict what might be the optimal setting and then prepare accordingly .

Not to say that situation like this one cant change but focusing on just one instance of a specific flight on this route might not tell you the full story

Last edited by fifty_two; May 14, 2024 at 2:21 pm
Old May 14, 2024, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Few things you need to keep in mind

Airlines , when possible , decide on such things as fare class and other factors based on forecasting

If no historical data then they hire consultants or use an internal task force to seek a possible busines opportunity for a new route

Otherwise they use what's available from the past to predict what might be the optimal setting and then prepare accordingly .

Not to say that situation like this one cant change but focusing on just one instance of a specific flight on this route might not tell you the full story
it's just three days prior to the flight - I would like to buy three business class tickets from NUE via CDG to HKG - can't because there is not enough biz availability so I would need to stick with economy. Availability on the longhaul is wide open from CDG to HKG - just the feeder doesn't have enough J seats but many economy seats. that's the weird thing. Why sell economy and restrict sales of business class - that doesn't make any sense to me - other than that the flight is already overbooked.

I checked multiple flights for the next weeks and this pattern sticks J2 or J3 and Y9, sometimes even the cheap eco fare buckets have 6 or 9 availability.

Last edited by f0zzyNUE; May 14, 2024 at 11:59 pm
Old May 15, 2024, 12:31 am

If you bought the 2 available you might see more open up as the computer takes note and realises there is demand. Since you posted there's another seat taken but still 2 available which could be an indicator that's what already happened.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I find it odd too.
AF1811 on 17/5 is now J0C0Y9B9...
No more seats sold by AF. That leads to no more seats in J on AF188 to HKG.
As expected, the J0 on AF1811 constrains J0 on the married segment AF188.
Other origins in Germany (e.g. FRA) have J availability.

Hence the question is why AF1811 seems constrained to have only 2 rows of J, while some other days have more. And why only 4 seats out of 8 are assigned (maybe theoretical seating means automatically blocking 4 seats if 4 J pax).

Could be a bug with the integration of Hop flights into AF system. Could be the number of FAs and their contract about number of J pax to be served. Could be some reasons that I do not know.
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I find it odd too.
AF1811 on 17/5 is now J0C0Y9B9...
No more seats sold by AF. That leads to no more seats in J on AF188 to HKG.
As expected, the J0 on AF1811 constrains J0 on the married segment AF188.
Other origins in Germany (e.g. FRA) have J availability.

Hence the question is why AF1811 seems constrained to have only 2 rows of J, while some other days have more. And why only 4 seats out of 8 are assigned (maybe theoretical seating means automatically blocking 4 seats if 4 J pax).

Could be a bug with the integration of Hop flights into AF system. Could be the number of FAs and their contract about number of J pax to be served. Could be some reasons that I do not know.
the most interesting part is that I was able to book a 79.000 oneway business class award two days ago on this itinerary. quite crazy for a flight that seemed almost sold out (at least on the feeder).
my guess is that the plane is oversold by a few seats in Y already - with the intent to put Y passengers into the open seats in the J cabin which basically fills up the front rows with no more seats to be sold (can't upgrade J passengers).
Old May 15, 2024, 2:50 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
the most interesting part is that I was able to book a 79.000 oneway business class award two days ago on this itinerary. quite crazy for a flight that seemed almost sold out (at least on the feeder).
my guess is that the plane is oversold by a few seats in Y already - with the intent to put Y passengers into the open seats in the J cabin which basically fills up the front rows with no more seats to be sold (can't upgrade J passengers).
That does not align with Y9 availability though. More likely that AF historically sees high Y demand but low J demand last-minute. so they prioritize high margin Y fares.
Old May 15, 2024, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
That does not align with Y9 availability though. More likely that AF historically sees high Y demand but low J demand last-minute. so they prioritize high margin Y fares.
but then they could open up J9 Y9 (highest booking classes in both categories) when there are at least 9 seats left. whenever a seat is sold they reduce Y and J availability by 1 ...
seats are not an issue as the curtain can be moved and when a complete row is not occupied by business class passengers Y passengers can be upgraded. I don't see any logic behind closing J sales and having Y sales wide open on an Embraer with a fixed seat count and no seatblocking for business class passengers.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:34 am

Programs: DL GM, TK Elite+, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
This is not true. There are only two seats on sale. They are willing to sell both of them at J or C fares/prices, but only one of them at D fares/prices.
Yeah. My logic was flawed, sorry although in reality we don't know - but for my imagined scenario J5C2D1 would have made much more sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.