Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2:40 connection in CDG this Sunday - enough?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
2:40 connection in CDG this Sunday - enough?

Hopefully this is the right place to post this: A friend is flying out of CDG this Sunday morning at 11:05am (International departure), but will be in Lyon the day before. He's thinking of an early morning flight that lands at 8:25am at CDG, but would then have to go claim checked luggage, re-check luggage (he would be flying in on Air France, but is flying out American), and clear (international) security. Does anyone have an opinion as to if 2 hours and 40 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to accomplish all of that? I've heard stories of how bad CDG has been, but not sure if things have calmed down.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 31, 2023, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF7371 LYS-CDG is a plane that sleeps in LYS and should arrive on time.
That should leave enough time to change terminal and check-in with AA with time to spare.

Of course, anything can always happen. But it seems that the trip is already arranged and I would not worry about it.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 11:48 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brunos
AF7371 LYS-CDG is a plane that sleeps in LYS and should arrive on time.
That should leave enough time to change terminal and check-in with AA with time to spare.

Of course, anything can always happen. But it seems that the trip is already arranged and I would not worry about it.
I would worry and overnight in CDG instead.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by carnarvon
I would worry and overnight in CDG instead.
Agree with carnarvon. The LYS-CDG morning flight seems reasonably safe, but you also have to factor in what the impacts are if something goes wrong even if the odds for this are low (tech issue, storm, ill pilot, cancellation, 1.5 hours delay for whatever reason). OP's friend then loses a transatlantic flight, is on his/her own and must buy a replacement flight probably for the very same day. Good luck with finding nice deals in such a situation - prices could be horrible. For that reason I always plan an overnight when self-connecting. Consider for instance a late TGV or flight to Paris or CDG the day before. Stay for instance close to the RER/Metro Notre Dame St Michel and enjoy some late night drinks in the Quartier Latin, before hopping on a 30-40 min Metro/RER ride to CDG next morning say 8.15 ish am (but check if there is not some RER maintenance or an infamous 'mouvement social' going on - then use a cab). So much safer.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: FB Gold
Theoretically it is fine but I still would not do it for the reasons mentioned above.

CDG is generally not as bad an airport as some people make it sound, but it only takes a delay (technical, crew, ATC issue) to throw a wrench and cause a delay that makes your friend miss his expensive trans-atlantic flight. There is a potential for another storm this Saturday, which could result in crews/aircraft being out of place.

Take the TGV to Paris the night before. You'll rest easier.
atflyer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
No doubt that it would be safer to get to Paris the night before.
As I said, 2h40 with AF7371 is "reasonable to accomplish all that",
but more risky than getting the night before.
And it would allow to wakes up a bit later. Traffic to CDG on a Sunday morning is fine.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Adding a DP as a very frequent AF7371 flyer, even though the plane overnights in LYS, I've often taken off with 30m/60m delay.
I certainly wouldn't use it for a 2h30 self-connection in CDG.
carnarvon likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brunos
No doubt that it would be safer to get to Paris the night before.
As I said, 2h40 with AF7371 is "reasonable to accomplish all that",
but more risky than getting the night before.
And it would allow to wakes up a bit later. Traffic to CDG on a Sunday morning is fine.
Why overnight in Paris?

Take a TGV direct to CDG from Lyon.

Overnight in CDG.

It will allow a good stressless longer night than an overnight in Paris.

Last edited by carnarvon; Nov 1, 2023 at 6:16 pm
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:52 pm

The TGV from Lyon Airport won't arrive early enough unfortunately. With all of the airports at CDG, it's kinda dumb not to go the night before for an 11am departure IMO
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet
The TGV from Lyon Airport won't arrive early enough unfortunately. With all of the airports at CDG, it's kinda dumb not to go the night before for an 11am departure IMO
You must mean "with all the hotels at CCG"
atflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.