Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer CDG T2E to Gate L

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2023, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Transfer CDG T2E to Gate L

i am traveling from LAX - CDG and most flights seem to arrive at T2E. I have just over 2 hours to connect to AF flight CDG - IST and historically these seem to leave from various L Gates (L23, and such). How long does it take? Can I walk the whole thing? I have only a small carry on, no checked bags. Do I have to pass security or anything else requiring waiting in line?

I saw that a flight from LAX arrived 2 hours late last week which made me worried and I need to prepare for worst case scenario. AF only has one flight a day to IST. If they are delayed and cause me to miss my connection (all one ticket Flying Blue award) will they put me on either TK or Pegasus which are the only other airlines flying to IST? Fares on this leg start at around 400 Euros and upwards to 1000 Euros!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 11:43 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
If you are on a single ticket, you are protected. Your can't be sure you will be put on a different airline on the same day, but worst case scenario, you will be taken care of until the next day flight.

If you don't have to be in IST on the expected day, I'd say don't stress it out and enjoy a day in Paris on AF's dime if case your long haul is really late.
If you have a tight schedule there, you might want to prepare plan B by securing a backup ticket.
Tiki likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Assuming this is all AF or DL (because you don't say for LAX-CDG), you will arrive and depart from 2E. Term 2E is composed of 3 concourses named K, L and M gates. You may arrive at any of those and your IST flight will depart from K or L gates.
You won't have to go through immigration. You may have to go through security (US is considered "safe country arrival" but not all gates for arrival lead you to a flow without having to go through security). Depending on your arrival and departing concourse, you will walk all the way or you may have to take a train linking the concourses.

Overall, depending on all those factors (security or not, concourse of arrival/departure), your connection will take anything from 15 to 30 min.
Tiki and FabCW like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maalloc
If you are on a single ticket, you are protected. Your can't be sure you will be put on a different airline on the same day, but worst case scenario, you will be taken care of until the next day flight.

If you don't have to be in IST on the expected day, I'd say don't stress it out and enjoy a day in Paris on AF's dime if case your long haul is really late.
If you have a tight schedule there, you might want to prepare plan B by securing a backup ticket.
There are several TK flights to both IST and SAW, I would rather fly to SAW than get stuck in Paris for a night, I have plans for Istanbul. I just want to have flights in mind if I have to push them to put me on a different carrier. There is only one flight to IST on AF a day. There are also 2 non stop on TK LAX-IST not sure if I could talk them into that if the worst happens? The flight is 10 hours so I would hopefully talk them into enough free wifi to sort things out on WhatsApp or something. The only think I am worried is TK is Star Alliance and AF is Skyteam. Not sure what the rules are about switching me to another carrier.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Assuming this is all AF or DL (because you don't say for LAX-CDG), you will arrive and depart from 2E. Term 2E is composed of 3 concourses named K, L and M gates. You may arrive at any of those and your IST flight will depart from K or L gates.
You won't have to go through immigration. You may have to go through security (US is considered "safe country arrival" but not all gates for arrival lead you to a flow without having to go through security). Depending on your arrival and departing concourse, you will walk all the way or you may have to take a train linking the concourses.

Thaniks, that sounds doable enough, I already booked a seat as far forward as possible without paying.and usually I am good at making transfers.

Overall, depending on all those factors (security or not, concourse of arrival/departure), your connection will take anything from 15 to 30 min.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Tiki
There are several TK flights to both IST and SAW, I would rather fly to SAW than get stuck in Paris for a night, I have plans for Istanbul. I just want to have flights in mind if I have to push them to put me on a different carrier. There is only one flight to IST on AF a day. There are also 2 non stop on TK LAX-IST not sure if I could talk them into that if the worst happens? The flight is 10 hours so I would hopefully talk them into enough free wifi to sort things out on WhatsApp or something. The only think I am worried is TK is Star Alliance and AF is Skyteam. Not sure what the rules are about switching me to another carrier.
The rule is they have to take care of you and bring you to destination.
How fast they have to do it is a bit of a grey area. If you don't have status with AF, don't count on them putting you on a different alliance if they can avoid it.

It doesn't mean they won't propose it for operational reasons, nor that you can't offer this option to the clerk at the transfer counter, beg, or threaten... Just keep in mind that getting a seat on the next day's flight is a real possibility.

Last edited by maalloc; Oct 16, 2023 at 3:27 am
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:09 am
Original Poster

I just downloaded the Air France app to facilitate notifications and such. It shows my exact flight details as arriving from LAX to T2E and departing to Istanbul from T2F. Is that better or worse for making a connection? It's hard to tell from that tiny map.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:18 am

I don't think that's right as last I checked Turkey is not a Schengen destination and T2F is a Schengen-only terminal.

Also, I don't understand why you're worried you will miss your connection based off of one flight being slightly delayed?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by CyBeR
I don't think that's right as last I checked Turkey is not a Schengen destination and T2F is a Schengen-only terminal.
it is correct in the sense that check-in occurs in 2F. Once checked-in, the pax walks to 2E-L through passport control, as if connecting from Schengen flight.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
To OP : you should relax and stop thinking for the worst while it is very likely that everything will be fine.
About your question whether they will rebook you on TK LAX-IST in case problems occur early in your trip, they will rebook you first on other Skyteam options (AF, KL, DL). before considering other alliances.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Tiki
I just downloaded the Air France app to facilitate notifications and such. It shows my exact flight details as arriving from LAX to T2E and departing to Istanbul from T2F. Is that better or worse for making a connection? It's hard to tell from that tiny map.
I know it's super confusing, but do not take this into account. As I said, you will remain within 2E.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Goldorak
You won't have to go through immigration. You may have to go through security (US is considered "safe country arrival" but not all gates for arrival lead you to a flow without having to go through security).
Do you know which gates would not need security? Last month I had a US-inbound L gate arrival to non-schengen L gate departure and still had to go through security. Granted there was no one at security and I was able to get from door to gate in under 15min. But it was still annoying I had to walk through the duty free labyrinth.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Do you know which gates would not need security? Last month I had a US-inbound L gate arrival to non-schengen L gate departure and still had to go through security. Granted there was no one at security and I was able to get from door to gate in under 15min. But it was still annoying I had to walk through the duty free labyrinth.
You'd have to walk through the duty-free labyrinth whether you went through security or not. The airside path from an L arrival gate to the L departure gates drops you right after L security checkpoint, in the middle of the duty-free labyrinth.

The secure gates are in L (the western side gates definitely support it and there are some reports of eastern side gates also being secureable), but it depends on the correct doors being opened.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR

Also, I don't understand why you're worried you will miss your connection based off of one flight being slightly delayed?
The flight delay that spooked me was over 2 hours late. If it happened the day I was flying I would definitely miss the connection and I don't want to be scrambling last minute if it does. So I want to have the Plan B in place. It's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

I don't travel to/through Europe often and only are using these flights to get to Istanbul because I got 75k FB points from a credit card. I normally transit through SIN, DOH or DXB.

If flights are on time or maximum 20-30 minutes late, I would be fine. I can move fast with my carry on if I have to.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhdl
You'd have to walk through the duty-free labyrinth whether you went through security or not. The airside path from an L arrival gate to the L departure gates drops you right after L security checkpoint, in the middle of the duty-free labyrinth.

The secure gates are in L (the western side gates definitely support it and there are some reports of eastern side gates also being secureable), but it depends on the correct doors being opened.
As long as it's well marked it sounds fine. Even the Duty Free labyrinth! I'm taking a guess that CDG Duty Free wouldn't be that cheap anyways? Especially converting my AUD to EUR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.