Wiki Posts
Search

CDG Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
CDG Transfer

I have found vast amounts of info on transferring at CDG, but nothing that fits my specific situation. I am flying IAD-CDG on an AF award flight that arrives in terminal 2E. I have a separate award ticket on QR flying CDG-DOH-ICN out of terminal 1. US Passport, no checked bags. I have a 5.5 hour layover. I know I need to take CDGVAL between terminals, but what do I need to do regarding immigration/customs/security? Any tips and tricks? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'll move this to our France forum, where you'll get the best answers.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
mapmkr73 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You can try to do this connection staying airside. Follow the signs for connections to T1 when you disembark. If you manage to stay airside you will not go through immigration but you will have to pass security.
If you need to go landside, you will pass immigration and customs in 2E, then take CDGVAL to T1, clear again immigration and go through security.
mapmkr73 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I'm not sure you can do an airside transfer from T2 to T1. The only way I know of transferring between terminals is CDGVAL, which is landside.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:24 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
I'm not sure you can do an airside transfer from T2 to T1. The only way I know of transferring between terminals is CDGVAL, which is landside.
Blue shuttle. Takes about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:15 am

Programs: FB Gold
Shuttle route can be found here: Paris Aéroport or see the map here:

Blue Shuttle
mapmkr73 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I have done it several times, it is an easy transfer. Just make sure you OLCIed for your next flight as you might not find staffed transfer desks airside, and that would force you to go landside of course.
5.5h is more than enough.
KL803, mapmkr73 and FabCW like this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:46 pm

Flying AF from DFW CDG TLV with a tight connection 65 minutes we are in J class. Trying to minimize delays. I know we go through security but not Immigration since we are transiting non-Schengen. We will have some carry-ons just in case our checked baggage doesn't connect right away. What is the security protocol particularly with liquids under 100ml, do they have to be put in a special bag and all fit like some of the inane procedures at LHR?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
do they have to be put in a special bag and all fit like some of the inane procedures at LHR?
Not want to be annoying or anything, but this has been the de-facto standard procedure all over Europe for the last 15 years or so. Nothing special for LHR about this. If anything, all UK airports, including LHR, will get new scanners (LCY is already equipped with them) which don't require you to take any liquids out of your bag, and it at the same time lifts these restrictions. This is due to happen next year.

Generally speaking, a ziploc bag of up to 1 liter containing your sub-100ml containers is playing it safe. 1 such bag per passenger (so theoretically, up to a liter of liquids in <100ml containers, per passenger).

As to CDG airport, I'm not sure and I'll let someone else pitch in. I know at Schiphol (KL's hub) they already have said new scanners, and these liquid restrictions have been abolished there already, but I can't remember the last time I had to go through security at CDG - nor if they had such scanners (I don't think so). Also not sure you'll need to go through security at all, that's another thing I'll let someone else answer.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by b12e
Not want to be annoying or anything, but this has been the de-facto standard procedure all over Europe for the last 15 years or so. Nothing special for LHR about this. If anything, all UK airports, including LHR, will get new scanners (LCY is already equipped with them) which don't require you to take any liquids out of your bag, and it at the same time lifts these restrictions. This is due to happen next year.

Generally speaking, a ziploc bag of up to 1 liter containing your sub-100ml containers is playing it safe. 1 such bag per passenger (so theoretically, up to a liter of liquids in <100ml containers, per passenger).

As to CDG airport, I'm not sure and I'll let someone else pitch in. I know at Schiphol (KL's hub) they already have said new scanners, and these liquid restrictions have been abolished there already, but I can't remember the last time I had to go through security at CDG - nor if they had such scanners (I don't think so). Also not sure you'll need to go through security at all, that's another thing I'll let someone else answer.
Thanks,

Usually, wouldn't carry so much but with such a close connection and AF rep for losing baggage want to make sure we have what we need for a couple of days.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:51 am

If I'm arriving at CDG T1 from outside the Schengen Zone, and connecting to a destination inside Schengen (Berlin, on LH/LX depending on schedule) also from T1, and I manage to get my checked bag interlined, can I use airside lounges in the exSchengen area (such as Star Alliance Lounge) before going through passport control to the LH departure area?

Is customs necessarily first port of arrival in the EU, or would I do so on arrival in Berlin? (If first port, then this may be moot.)

I would be using a nonSchengen passport so it may be harder to get across the border to the lounges otherwise.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:54 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
Is customs necessarily first port of arrival in the EU, or would I do so on arrival in Berlin? (If first port, then this may be moot.)
Customs is when you get out of the baggage claim area and go landside, so that'll be in Berlin, unless you have to pick up your luggage and re-check it with another airline in Paris.

Passport / border control is your first point of entry into Schengen, generally speaking.
BernardBlack likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by b12e
Customs is when you get out of the baggage claim area and go landside, so that'll be in Berlin, unless you have to pick up your luggage and re-check it with another airline in Paris.

Passport / border control is your first point of entry into Schengen, generally speaking.
OK. So if I do border control at CDG, does the airside connections path allow me to visit the lounges that are outside the border before proceeding through the border, as though I were connecting from outside Schengen to outside Schengen? Or does the path force me straight to passport control?
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: FB Gold
Because your next flight to Berlin is within the zone Schengen, you would be first going through passport contrôle before anything else.

You would remain airside and should be able to access the lounges available to the Schengen flights after the passports.

Customs is done upon collecting your bags at Berlin.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mlin32
Because your next flight to Berlin is within the zone Schengen, you would be first going through passport contrôle before anything else.

You would remain airside and should be able to access the lounges available to the Schengen flights after the passports.

Customs is done upon collecting your bags at Berlin.
Might have to do transfer security also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.