Wiki Posts
Search

Lost bag of AF - advice sought :)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Lost bag of AF - advice sought :)

This is a bad week for lost things for me haha.

AF seem to have misplaced my son’s case between CDG and BHX. Have reported it and got the report references etc.

I will need to go shopping to replace things. I would very much appreciate any words of wisdom people might have on this .

What will AF pay for? How is the process?

Thanks
Old May 27, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: FB Gold
They will pay for reasonably priced necessities, such as clothing, toiletry, etc....assuming this is your outbound trip. If you're returning home, harder to argue as you'd have these items.

Keep all tickets from the cashier and then submit online. Never had an issue obtaining a quick refund.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by mlin32
They will pay for reasonably priced necessities, such as clothing, toiletry, etc....assuming this is your outbound trip. If you're returning home, harder to argue as you'd have these items.

Keep all tickets from the cashier and then submit online. Never had an issue obtaining a quick refund.
Good info! Thanks

This is an outbound of a circular trip - we travel on open jaw and single tickets - cannot even remember the last return I got - for this particular leg it was the final leg, although I have lots of other flights AF can see in our names.

Is there a particular amount I should keep under?
Old May 27, 2023, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Did you file a claim for the luggage?

Within 3 days they try to locate it and you can buy reasonable amount of first necessity items (try spend less than $100 a day) and you can already submit a claim for the refund of these expenses after 3 days

after 3 days if there is still no news about the luggage they will you ask to further describe the luggage and its content and then you need to wait 21 days starting from the day you first opened the claim (the day on which you declared the missing luggage). After 21 days it will be definitely considered lost and you can make a claim for the value of the lost luggage on top of what they already reimbursed for first necessity needs.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
Good info! Thanks

This is an outbound of a circular trip - we travel on open jaw and single tickets - cannot even remember the last return I got - for this particular leg it was the final leg, although I have lots of other flights AF can see in our names.

Is there a particular amount I should keep under?
Use your adult judgement No hard and fixed amount, and also consider living expenses will vary by country.

Don't have to go barebones cheap, but you need to have a good reason if you expense say, a 350 EUR jacket for a dinner.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by mlin32
Use your adult judgement No hard and fixed amount, and also consider living expenses will vary by country.

Don't have to go barebones cheap, but you need to have a good reason if you expense say, a 350 EUR jacket for a dinner.
I haven't ever had an issue expensing €400 for a pair of shoes (I'd be hard pressed to find a suit jacket for €350....). AF has paid and never questioned.

Amex/Axa on the other hand....
Old May 28, 2023, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF is usually good; unless they are under the impression you are trying to screw them.
I don't know how old is you son, but I once needed to buy a business suit. I did get a cheap one and was reimburse d within a few days.

What's important is that you check the worldtracer status periodically.
Old May 28, 2023, 3:12 am
Suspended

The problem is that AF customer care gives the impression of working "à la tête du client". They don't seem to have any real scale for refunds or compensations, unless they are rules like "open bar" refunds for elites and capped refunds for others.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:41 am

Over the years I reimbursed all kind of "weird" items, never an issue whether it's on the way out or back home, to name a few:
- Sunglasses ~200€ (flying to a sunny destination...)
- A dog jacket ~70€ (on the way back home)
- A shaving machine ~ 70€ (on the way back home)
- Winter jacket ~200€ (on the way back home)

And countless items of toiletries/clothing, probably ~300-400€ in total in some cases.
miles4CDG and seibel like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:55 am
Suspended

they were such a pain in the *** with the invoice i sent them when they lost my luggage... like i bought my nintendo switch at the supermarket and it is on the same receipt as my grocery and had the reimbursement declined because food is excluded !

Some agents are really dumb and don't know how to read a receipt. I even had to send an excel sheet with all the items circled on each receipt to make sure they would refund me all the items they lost with the luggage
Old May 28, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
My experience last year also not good. Lost luggage was returned 5 weeks after they lost it. In the meantime, after the 3 week period, they declared the luggage lost and paid a flat amount of eur 900, but only the excess above the reimbursement for necessities bought while traveling abroad. It was argued as I didn’t have receipts for each item lost, they would only pay the flat amount. Now I photograph my bags’ contents or better yet don’t check anything.
AnaTFN likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:53 am
Suspended

From now on I will keep purchases receipts for all the clothes I’ll buy. I usually only keep receipts of things for which there is a warranty.
Old May 28, 2023, 9:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
My question then is; what do receipts prove? Sure, it proves that at some point in time you have purchased that item..but not that it was in the bag that was lost.

Thankfully I've never had luggage get lost for a longer amount of time. Purchased a few minor things (<100 euro) when my bag was delayed by a day and that was no issue from AF. I can imagine though that if you try to get reimbursed for 200 euro designer sunglasses (Without proof that you had these in your bag...) they will first have a hard look at your track record and overall value to the company.
olivedel likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by macaron95
From now on I will keep purchases receipts for all the clothes I’ll buy. I usually only keep receipts of things for which there is a warranty.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Lost Bag but know where it is

AF lost our bag BOS-CDG-BCN. Had air tag in it and it is currently showing that it is in the AF lost and found building in CDG called Le Kube. Been 6 weeks now and nobody at AF will make an effort to go there and find it. They have pictures of the bag and everything. Amazingly incompetent. First time flying AF and the last for me. To make matters worse, it's impossible to get anyone on the phone that will escalate this issue or show any sense of urgency. And they have not offered any compensation yet whatsoever, saying they need more time to find the bag. No out-of-pocket expenses granted either. Any advice on how to escalate this within AF would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.