Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy Meal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:15 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So in regards to the AF PE meal specifically, is this indeed a different meal than Economy now? I'm looking at some ~6hr flights in AF PE and I'm wondering what to expect. Just a 'better' seat (Also a topic of divided opinion on the A330), or also improved food these days?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Xandrios
So in regards to the AF PE meal specifically, is this indeed a different meal than Economy now? I'm looking at some ~6hr flights in AF PE and I'm wondering what to expect. Just a 'better' seat (Also a topic of divided opinion on the A330), or also improved food these days?
the breakfast takeout bag (second meal) is the exact same one as in Economy- the first meal looks identical to Economy but not sure if the options are exactly the same. The tray and everything else looks exactly the same though.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by nomadabroad
the breakfast takeout bag (second meal) is the exact same one as in Economy- the first meal looks identical to Economy but not sure if the options are exactly the same. The tray and everything else looks exactly the same though.
Don't they put a different dessert on the tray these day?
Xandrios likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: FB Gold
When I flew to/from ATL recently, the plat principaux (main dishes) were different between PE and Eco, and I know from experience that the entrée (appetizer) is also different. It's sad that AF went away with the menu cards......

However, the 2nd snack would likely be the same.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Skip to 12:10 for the junk food galore snack box as your second “meal”

- small sandwich
- cold bread roll
- packaged lemon madeleine
- some sort of processed (packaged) carrot salad
- apple purée aka baby food
- yoghurt drink

they basically just overload you a bunch of cheap junk food crap in the hopes that you’ll get full from it lol
Xandrios likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by nomadabroad
Skip to 12:10 for the junk food galore snack box as your second “meal”

https://youtu.be/f96X4rDATw0

- small sandwich
- cold bread roll
- packaged lemon madeleine
- some sort of processed (packaged) carrot salad
- apple purée aka baby food
- yoghurt drink

they basically just overload you a bunch of cheap junk food crap in the hopes that you’ll get full from it lol
And this is already a high-end "Bon appétit" bag, since very often you see it with packaged bread, and only 2 pcs or carbs (bread + something warm, no extra cake).
The rest is the standard junk...
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
If I remember correctly AF W meal is same main as Y but with added, better quality starters. Something like prawn or salmon.

The big + was that you get champagne in PE and quite loads. (But I think you might do in Y too?)

I remember completely running out of beer on the way to TYO (!) FA even checked J and came back empty handed, but then just gave the better half and I a whole bottle of champagne as a substitute.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:59 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I just flew CDG -> TNR in Y and was a bit shocked to see PE get the same drink service. They should at least get a wider selection of wines, especially since champagne is already still available in Y.

Last edited by danielflyer; Feb 19, 2023 at 8:23 am
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Wait until you realize they get the same food too
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: FB Gold
For my recent TATL flights, they announced the Prem eco and eco meal main choices over the loudspeaker and I recall they were distinctly different....

But yes, drinks and snacks were same.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by mlin32
For my recent TATL flights, they announced the Prem eco and eco meal main choices over the loudspeaker and I recall they were distinctly different....
Menu should be available in your seat IFE (at least on 777 and 330)

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
If I remember correctly AF W meal is same main as Y but with added, better quality starters. Something like prawn or salmon.
That was before 2021.
Now you have a special W meal (starter, main and desserts plus appetizer)
Appetizer is almost always a bag of salty crackers they call "mini-flutes".
Starter is usually the weak point, they do not offer salmon or foie gras anymore but a small veggie dish / salad that is tasteless.
Main is different and sometimes good for a PE meal. They sometimes serve duck or lamb.
Dessert is also better than Y, it is almost always good.

Drinks (including Champagne) are the same as in Y but I've seen most FA proactively offering two drinks in W.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
Did anyone else get the email recently from AF talking about it's "new" Premium Economy service. The email suggested that the meals had now been systematically upgraded across the board with a unique, higher quality starter, main and dessert. Does this tally with everyone's experience lately?

Surely they must know that they need to offer a second service in PE beyond the dumb bags? I can't believe that they aren't planning on changing that.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:51 am

This was the W service from SIN to CDG today (AF255)

one hour after departure (10:45) we got lunch served, the only difference I noted is a real glass for drinks which isn’t the case in Y but for the rest I think it’s more or less the same.

W lunch SIN-CDG. Main dish, the boeuf bourguignon, tasted really good.

As a reference, this is dinner served onboard KL’s new Premium Comfort from LAX to AMS on DEC 22:

Meatless meatballs with mashed potatoes as main dish.
Then during the 13,5 hour flight, small snacks were available like these:

And the pre arrival meal looks like this:

A bizarre bag with random breakfast items and a hot little sandwich with ham and cheese.

It’s award to serve “breakfast” when the local time is 16:00 PM and Origin time is 23:00 PM.

As a reference, the second meal on KL PC:

Food is really the weak point in AF W class. KL sets the bar much higher. AF serves stale bread and processed food. KL food is fresh and bread is warm and crispy. Even in Y.
tff, Xandrios, mlin32 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by BobTL
This was the W service from SIN to CDG today (AF255)

one hour after departure (10:45) we got lunch served, the only difference I noted is a real glass for drinks which isn’t the case in Y but for the rest I think it’s more or less the same.

W lunch SIN-CDG. Main dish, the boeuf bourguignon, tasted really good.

As a reference, this is dinner served onboard KL’s new Premium Comfort from LAX to AMS on DEC 22:

Meatless meatballs with mashed potatoes as main dish.
Then during the 13,5 hour flight, small snacks were available like these:

And the pre arrival meal looks like this:

A bizarre bag with random breakfast items and a hot little sandwich with ham and cheese.

It’s award to serve “breakfast” when the local time is 16:00 PM and Origin time is 23:00 PM.

As a reference, the second meal on KL PC:

Food is really the weak point in AF W class. KL sets the bar much higher. AF serves stale bread and processed food. KL food is fresh and bread is warm and crispy. Even in Y.
It's astonishing that AF is not improving this
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Af066: Cdg-lax

I found the PE meal to be quite dissapointing compared to BA - in terms of presentation and food itself. For certain the 2nd meal service.
For the 2nd meal service - very basic drink service provided, no wine/alcoholic options. Furthermore found that the snacks/food in between the 2 meal times was very limited to bread and cheese and yogurt drinks. Quite poor options.

Cheers!

Lunch meal option

Grated duck - was tasty, but badly presented and felt lacking greens

Pre-arrival meal

Dessert with lunch meal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.