Search

Non- Schengen to Schengen Transit at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Non- Schengen to Schengen Transit at CDG

Hey Guys,

This question has probably been asked several times by now but I couldn't find them.

Me and the OH are due to fly to ATH soon via CDG with AF on the outbound (KL via AMS on the inbound). We have 2hr50 minutes to connect and was wondering if that is enough time at the airport to make the flight.

I recently flew with AF to MIA from LHR with 5 hours to spare and managed to clear security in less than an hour because my flight from LHR landed at L gates and my connecting flight left at the same satellite which gave me enough time to spend at the lounge.

The reason I ask is because I have recently started with AF more these days because I have been having nothing but great flights with them and partly due to BA's service going downhill.

TIA
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: FB Gold
2h50 is totally enough to go from Non-Schengen to Schengen on one ticket. No worries there.
ijgordon and J343 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Eurobonus Gold, Flying Blue Gold
I semi-regularly do a non-Schengen to Schengen connection at CDG that is 1 hour. It's sometimes tight depending on the passport check line, but I have not missed it yet (knock on wood). 2h50min should be more than enough.
J343 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:20 pm

More than enough
J343 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Have done Schengen to non-Schengen, incl. several intercontinental, in under 1h. It can be tight, but do-able, so 2+ hours is no worry at all.
J343 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Thank you all
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
Outdoor area during transit from 2E to 2F?

Sorry for bumping this thread, but for those doing the 2E to 2F transit at CDG, is there a place to spend a few minutes outside during the transit? I have a rather lengthy 5-hour connection and rather than spend it all indoors, it might be nice to get a little fresh air (maybe with a little jet fuel!) while making the transit. It does look like one could make it out to the street at arrivals before taking the tunnel across, but was wondering if there was a better place to go. I'm not looking for a smoking area or anything, just a place to hopefully wake up a bit after a trans-Atlantic flight.

I did see that there's a park (du Sausset) a couple of stops away on the RER, but Google streetview didn't exactly make the area look very inviting and folks on other forums seemed to think it was not a great place for a wander, so not sure about that.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by global_b
Sorry for bumping this thread, but for those doing the 2E to 2F transit at CDG, is there a place to spend a few minutes outside during the transit? I have a rather lengthy 5-hour connection and rather than spend it all indoors, it might be nice to get a little fresh air (maybe with a little jet fuel!) while making the transit. It does look like one could make it out to the street at arrivals before taking the tunnel across, but was wondering if there was a better place to go. I'm not looking for a smoking area or anything, just a place to hopefully wake up a bit after a trans-Atlantic flight.

I did see that there's a park (du Sausset) a couple of stops away on the RER, but Google streetview didn't exactly make the area look very inviting and folks on other forums seemed to think it was not a great place for a wander, so not sure about that.

Thanks!
If you want to do a direct transfer from 2E to 2F, no you cannot exit landside- this kind of defeats the definition of a Transit.

If you wish to exit the terminal you can do so (assuming you meet passport requirements for France), but then you're not transiting. You're exiting the aeroport via baggage claim/Airport exit then reentering.

With a 5h layover, I've gone to the Aéroville centre commercial to kill time and pick up some stuff.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold

Thanks!
The area south of the airport is - as with most airports in most cities - not one of the wealthiest part of town to say the least. However a lot of families visit the parc des expositions or nearby musée du Bourget every day and come home happy.

It depends on your tolerance levels. If you are happy and confident to walk around an area which is "a bit ghetto", and you don't stand out like a sore thumb with tourist gear or expensive accessories, you'll find you can blend in and have a nice walk around in the day time.

I wouldn't be scared. I have been a bit scared around JFK before. Others view may vary.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It's perfectly fine to exit the building during T2E to T2F transfer. It does not defeat the definition of a transit, as you are entering the Schengen area one way or another.

I can not speak to specific parks along the RER route, but you can definitely roam around the terminals landside, most definitely.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
Thanks all for the comments. Guess I'll see what the weather is at the time and make a decision, but hopefully will get outside.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: QF gold, AF/KL platinum, exMA gold :( exSK gold
Please note that the queue to buy RER ticket might be lengthy at rush hours. Took 1.5 hours yesterday from tuch down to have my RER ticket at the morning at 9:00 from a domestic flight.
global_b likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks all for the comments. Guess I'll see what the weather is at the time and make a decision, but hopefully will get outside.
It's a really good idea to get some fresh air after a long flight wearing a mask. US arrivals at CDG are unclean and you have to go through security anyway, so it makes no difference whether you do it through the transit channel or by going land side. It's a different story at AMS... there I usually head to the KL non-Schengen lounge and hope the terrace is open. And yes, you can smell the jet fuel there.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:31 am

just hijacking this thread for some mental reassurance...I am arriving from HKG into CDG at 7am with CX into T1. I then have a domestic flight from T2f with AF (from T2f) that is scheduled to depart at 1250pm. that gives me almost 6 hours of transit time.

My understanding is that as CDG is when I (a UK PP holder) arrive in the schengeen area, I will need to go through passport control. UK PP means i can use the e-gates. I have booked a day room at one of the airport hotels (one of the bonvoy ones) for a few hours and then will go to T2F for my flight. If my flight leaves at 12.50pm, I was planning to leave the hotel at 11am.

Do people think this works? thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:43 am

That will work, but then the question is whether it's worth paying for a day room you'll get to use for just a couple hours.

It sounds like you're on separate tickets. So you'd have to go thru contrôle passeports, collect your checked baggage (landside), transfer using the VAL, drop your bag off at 2F, go thru security at 2F......so you'd get maybe 2-3h maxi at your day room.
Goldorak and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.