Search

AF SAF, € or Miles to XP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue
AF SAF, € or Miles to XP

Dear All,

Starting Jan 10th, a special tax contribution will be added to AF tickets to pay for Sustainable Aviation Fuel.
1 to 4 € on Economy tickets, 1,5 € to 12 € on Business tickets, depending on flight duration.

There will also be a voluntary contribution proposed to pax to pay for additional purchases of SAF, a form of CO2 compensation. What is new in all this greenwashing is that the email I received today states that these voluntary purchases will, later in 2022, yield "additional XPs". That coud become a way to buy XPs (with miles or €).

Source
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:47 am

XPs for being a good citizen (or virtue-signaling, depending on point of view)? Very interesting. It sounds a bit like a way to increase one’s social score… this is the world we live in now. But I could see people doing this sort of thing for status.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by af fp
XPs for being a good citizen (or virtue-signaling, depending on point of view)? Very interesting. It sounds a bit like a way to increase one’s social score… this is the world we live in now. But I could see people doing this sort of thing for status.
Or it’s just a way for AFKL to help pax get rid of their miles (which are starting to weigh down on the bottom line)…
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:11 am

As in the other thread it reads as if the extra XP can only be obtained by trading in miles, presumably at a very disadvantageous rate.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR
As in the other thread it reads as if the extra XP can only be obtained by trading in miles, presumably at a very disadvantageous rate.
The french wording is ambiguous.
They say that from Jan 13, you can buy SAF with €, and later this year, you can buy SAF with miles and earn XP.

Nowhere does it say whether XP can be earned by spending miles only, or with € too. Anyway, the fact that both conditions and timing are not clear makes me think it's still a work-in-progress, and that anything can happen before it's actually implemented.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:28 am

The Dutch wording is quite unambiguous: it says you can trade in miles to do the SAF thing and if you do that you will receive XP in return. Nowhere does it mention receiving XP if the SAF thing is done with money.

I'm not saying either is correct, just that the wording in the email sent to me by KLM was not ambiguous.
maalloc likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I received this email too...
And do we get a discount because :
- they don't serve anything anymore on domestic flights,?
- no more hot meal in J medium-haul ?
- vegetarian meals only on many J medium-haul ?
- only a mini vegetarian sandwich is served in Y even on a 5 hrs flight ?
KLBGO, SkyteamEP and Solevita like this.

Last edited by Goldorak; Jan 10, 2022 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
The wording from KLM UK tells a different story than the dutch version:

To support our members in reducing their environmental footprint, Flying Blue will introduce the ability to use Miles for the CO2ZERO programme in 2022. Furthermore, members will be able to gain Experience Points (XP) by contributing to the CO2ZERO programme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.