Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

16 hour layover in Paris (checked bags through to final destination)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I’ll be flying AF to Greece via CDG, arriving mid-afternoon and departing on connecting flight the following morning. Will I be able to check my bags only to Paris, and then check them again the following morning for my onward flight, or will AF only check them through to final destination with no option to “short-check” them?

(I had a previous experience on Etihad where they could only check bags to final destination, and I’d like to avoid another similar surprise at the airport check-in.)
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by gstork
I’ll be flying AF to Greece via CDG, arriving mid-afternoon and departing on connecting flight the following morning. Will I be able to check my bags only to Paris, and then check them again the following morning for my onward flight, or will AF only check them through to final destination with no option to “short-check” them?

(I had a previous experience on Etihad where they could only check bags to final destination, and I’d like to avoid another similar surprise at the airport check-in.)
Had this situation earlier this month. I was able to choose whether I wanted the bags for pick up at CDG or check them all the way to TRN.
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Had this situation earlier this month. I was able to choose whether I wanted the bags for pick up at CDG or check them all the way to TRN.
Perfect, thanks so much!
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Are you thinking to skip the ATH segment? Keep in mind that if you do, that the rest of your itinerary will be canceled.

If you are really trying to get to ATH...there is also an evening flight allowing you to arrive in ATH around 1AM. May be easier than to wait around Paris for a night? (Unless of course that is exactly what you are looking for I guess)
Old Sep 27, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Hum... I would not be as positive as some here. Air France reinforces now the rules about short checking bags.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olivedel
Hum... I would not be as positive as some here. Air France reinforces now the rules about short checking bags.
On a same-day connection, for sure. But it wouldn't surprise me if there's an exception for overnight connections (or even 12+ hour connections).
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:12 am
Original Poster

We had no problem short checking our bags on AF. Not sure if it was because of our very long connection. The check-in agent was initially going to check them all the way through to the final destination, and I stopped her and made sure they were checked only to CDG. She looked confused, and then I pointed out that we wouldn't continue on the connecting flight until the following day.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
If you're staying overnight you can of course pick up your bag. Period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.