Wiki Posts
Search

“AF Protect” - what is the protocol? Weird inflight experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

“AF Protect” - what is the protocol? Weird inflight experience

A few days ago on an AF mainline flight in Europe:

Purser on board (in full PPE, only the Hazmat suit was missing) demanded the individual air nozzles to be closed before departure (!) and remain closed throughout the flight, insisting this would be part of the AF Protect measures.
He was also giving the audience in the cabin a lengthy lecture about COVID measures and the subliminal message was „better follow what I’m telling you to do“.

The experience was SPOOKY after all, since it was ONLY the purser who appeared in his full PPE and this extended sermon was even more spooky, I felt uncomfortable in that overall atmosphere.

The rest of the crew was what I would describe as absolutely normal.

I tried to find anything about the air nozzles, but couldn’t find anything on the AF website and I can confirm that I never ever had this on any other whatsoever airlines (including AF mainline and A5) flight ever since the pandemic started.

Needless to say that the cabin was uncomfortably warm during the flight and everything was far from being an even borderline pleasant experience….

Not to be misunderstood, I fully understand, accept and support whatever COVID measures and e.g happily oblige to e.g. wear a mask onboard. But this experience was simply over the top.

Is that air nozzle thing really part of AF’s protocol or was that just a purser who went a bit off the rails?

Anyone else with similar experiences?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Flown last week x2 with AF. Nothing more than a surgical mask on the crew and no mention of air vents.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Which aircraft type were you on?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Can you describe "in full PPE, only the Hazmat suit was missing"?

I suggest you write to AF to enquire about it all, especially the air vents, as this contradicts airlines narrative that HEPA air filters are so effective that they stop every possible virus in the air.

If that is true, which I think it is, air coming out of the vents is safer than the air around you which might come from your neighbour 's mouth.

Keep up posted about the answer.

Last edited by carnarvon; Aug 5, 2021 at 11:29 pm
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
AF Air Protect page:

MANDATORY SURGICAL MASK

• Wearing a surgical mask is mandatory on board our aircraft.
  • When paired with our air recycling system, a surgical mask protects you even when physical distancing is not possible on board.

CABIN AIR RENEWED EVERY 3 MINUTES

• Our aircraft are equipped with an air recycling system consisting of HEPA «High Efficiency Particulate Air» filters identical to those used in operating theatres, which trap 99.9% of particles.
  • The air in the cabin is therefore renewed every 3 minutes.
blairvanhorn and Landing Gear like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Can you describe "in full PPE, only the Hazmat suit was missing"?

I suggest you write to AF to enquire about it all, especially the air vents, as this contradicts airlines narrative that HEPA air filters are so effective that they stop every possible virus in the air.

If that is true, which I think it is, air coming out of the vents is safer than the air around you which might come from your neighbour 's mouth.

Keep up posted about the answer.

The Purser was (as the only cabin crew member as far as I can tell) in FFP2 mask, face visor and gloves.

And he insisted that everyone should close the air vents above the seats.

I mean it is his personal decision to wear whatever PPE makes him feel comfortable, I don’t mind at all!

But this air vents thing was over the top, imho, and he clearly stated it would be part of „AF Protect“.

Nevertheless, it seemed he was implementing (and willing to enforce) his own rules.

That’s why I was asking if that was maybe indeed a rule which came up just recently.

Btw, 3 more AF mainline flights since that one, no one bothered about the air vents.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Which aircraft type were you on?

A320
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by feederflight
A320
From/to where ? Never seen any behavior like this on AF/KL..

Saw it once on QR though but was one year ago..
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I can confirm keeping the air vents closed was part of AF policy. It is true that, now that I think about it, they don’t seem to make this announcement anymore. I will listen carefully during my next flight tomorrow.
But I never experienced a FA like the one described by OP, even at the peak of the different waves of infection. May be the guy is having specific medical conditions putting him at more risk if infected, but in that case I am sure he would not fly at all.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I can confirm keeping the air vents closed was part of AF policy. It is true that, now that I think about it, they don’t seem to make this announcement anymore. I will listen carefully during my next flight tomorrow.
I second that. They used to make an announcement about it, but not anymore. In my last flights, I used the air vents and no one told me anything.

If the purser had a medical condition or (more probable) is scared, well... Sorry to be mean, but I am sure there are lots of FAs furloughed that are dying to fly.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may be that the purser or a person suffers from an immunodeficiency or some other condition that puts him at higher risk of covid complications, or living with such a person, and is, therefore, more careful than the average person and applies safety recommendations rather more zealously than others. Perhaps we should be tolerant to the notion that some people are, or feel, more at risk and accept minor inconveniences/discomfort that might engender for us.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
It may be that the purser or a person suffers from an immunodeficiency or some other condition that puts him at higher risk of covid complications, or living with such a person, and is, therefore, more careful than the average person and applies safety recommendations rather more zealously than others. Perhaps we should be tolerant to the notion that some people are, or feel, more at risk and accept minor inconveniences/discomfort that might engender for us.
Fully agree on that.

This flight stood out since it was the first such experience for the last 12 months or so of flying and since it’s now already more than a year into the pandemic where many things are already on the way back to a new normal.

Wearing PPE is most certainly an individual decision, but the air vents announcement surprised me more in Summer 21 than it would have ever in Spring 20.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Perhaps we should be tolerant to the notion that some people are, or feel, more at risk and accept minor inconveniences/discomfort that might engender for us.
Perhaps for those more at risk, but only up to a point. Every individual is free to protect himself in any which way, but should at all times strive not to burden others. Making 180 or so people sweat for a few hours doesn't make the cut. Taking (sick) leave or a change of job might be other options.

As for those who just feel they are more at risk, my tolerance for paranoia is zero. Professional help is available, irrational fear is no excuse for inconveniencing anybody else.

Johan
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:55 am

Austrian still makes announcements recommending air vents to be kept closed.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Is there any research to back up the air vent thing? My intuition has always been to put the vents on full blast. Reason being that part of that air should be 'fresh', the other part filtered, and even if there is a higher chance to get some particles from a guy sitting twenty rows back...that would be in very low concentration at that point *Filtered and mixed). More airflow also means you'd be inhaling the same (potentially contaminated) air for a shorter amount of time. My personal feeling is that it would be much safer to have the vents open rather than closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.