Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Linking reservations with Air Calin and a strange situation...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Linking reservations with Air Calin and a strange situation...

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a unique situation, was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. My wife needs to go visit her sick mother in Noumea. We are located near LAX. As you can imagine, NOU is quite strict about who they are letting in, and most flights have been cancelled to/from NOU until the middle of 2021.

We have already received government approval for her to go and quarantine for 2 weeks before being allowed to see her mother. The way the approval works is that the government authorizes you for a particular flight. In this case, the government authorized her to board a specific flight from CDG to NRT, then to NOU. (There is no option of LA to PPT to NOU, which would be much easier than doing this tour du monde.)

I reached out to AF, and they provided me with a confirmation # for a ticket from CDG-NRT-NOU and they stated that I could just buy my ticket for LAX-CDG online. They requested that I call them to provide my CC # in order to pay for the reservation asap. My questions are as follows:

1) I have a lot of points/miles and can easily find J award tickets from LAX-CDG and CDG-NRT for a reasonable amount. My plan is to burn some miles on these two legs and then reach out to AF and ask them to just charge me for the NRT-NOU leg and to link the two award tickets to the same reservation.
2) If I were to do #1 and get the award tickets, would it jeopardize/lower the chances of checked-in luggage making each flight? As it stands right now, there is a 2 hour window between arrival at CDG and NRT departure. (Both Terminal 2E). There is a 3h10m window between NRT arrival and departure to NOU (both appear to be in Terminal 1.) The last thing I want to do is anything that might risk the baggage not making each flight.
3) The email I received from AF states "Les vols passant par le Japon ne connectent pas et proposent obligatoirement 1 nuit à Tokyo, mais les autorités Japonaises n’autorisent pas l’entrée, même pour 24 des ressortissants étrangers." This is confusing to me. Are they saying that the CDG-NRT and NRT-NOU flights are not connecting? (The flight # is the same for both legs for both AF and Air Calin. Maybe because of the amount of time between the arrival and departure?) Also, are they trying to say that the authorities are not allowing entry into the country, or to the airport? (I have reached out to several entities to try to confirm what they mean, as the NRT website does not show any issue with connecting in the same terminal 1 to another international flight.) My guess is that they are saying this in case the flight from NRT-NOU is missed to alert me to the fact that she cannot just go out into the city until the next flight.

To complicate the situation: there are not daily flights from NRT to NOU. So if a flight is delayed and she doesn't make the NRT-NOU leg, then she is literally stuck in the airport for 48 hours (assuming they let her stay there) since Japan does not allow foreigners to enter the country. I've never been to Narita, but a quick search makes me believe there are no hotels located inside the airport.

I guess my questions stated differently are: am I complicating this too much by trying to use miles for the first two legs of the flight? Or is it pretty easy for them to link all of this and have baggage checked through from LAX to NOU. Also, are they proposing me a bunk flight that won't work?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drjeffrock
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a unique situation, was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. My wife needs to go visit her sick mother in Noumea. We are located near LAX. As you can imagine, NOU is quite strict about who they are letting in, and most flights have been cancelled to/from NOU until the middle of 2021.

We have already received government approval for her to go and quarantine for 2 weeks before being allowed to see her mother. The way the approval works is that the government authorizes you for a particular flight. In this case, the government authorized her to board a specific flight from CDG to NRT, then to NOU. (There is no option of LA to PPT to NOU, which would be much easier than doing this tour du monde.)

I reached out to AF, and they provided me with a confirmation # for a ticket from CDG-NRT-NOU and they stated that I could just buy my ticket for LAX-CDG online. They requested that I call them to provide my CC # in order to pay for the reservation asap. My questions are as follows:

1) I have a lot of points/miles and can easily find J award tickets from LAX-CDG and CDG-NRT for a reasonable amount. My plan is to burn some miles on these two legs and then reach out to AF and ask them to just charge me for the NRT-NOU leg and to link the two award tickets to the same reservation.
<snip>
For CDG-NRT the destination is Japan. With those separate tickets you are hoping that an onward separate ticket from NRT will be accepted in lieu of entry to Japan. I these times having 1 ticket for the complete trip makes it 100 times simpler/less risk.
Route: Great Circle Mapper

My understanding is the AF is flying CDG-YVR-PPT. Any flights PPT-NOU?
www.aircalin.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ton...tional_Airport
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/nou
https://www.aeroports-voyages.fr/en/...a-tontouta/NOU

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 28, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Mwenenzi. No current scheduled flights from PPT to NOU according to AF rep in Noumea. I am going to see about possibly getting an exemption to fly LAX-NRT-NOU instead of going to Paris first, but if I do this, then there is no way to my understanding that it would be able to be done in one ticket. As it stands now, the reservation shows an AF flight # for LAX-CDG-NRT but SB flight # from NRT-NOU

Last edited by drjeffrock; Dec 28, 2020 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Agreed. It's better not to risk it as seperating segments creates tons of problems along the way. At least with a single ticket, if anything goes wrong the airline will deal with it.
Japan is very strict with its procedures and it is highly unlikely you will even be able to board if transit is longer than 24h.

My advice: Burn the miles on LAX-CDG and pay for the rest. Try your luck with an upgrade if you really want to fly in comfort. Flights to Japan are pretty empty anyways.
drjeffrock likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you can purchase CDG-NRT-NOU, I am unclear as to why you can't purchase LAX-CDG-NRT-NOU on one ticket.

The problems with separate tickets (linking is relatively meaningless) with flights in mid-2021 is that the chances that the current schedule "sticks" and the current rules for transit and entry remain, are relatively slim. If you are on separate tickets and there are changes, you are on your own for unaffected tickets. Moreover, as you point out, without daily flights, you run the risk of a multi-day transfer at NRT. Under current rules for entry/transit of Japan, you could not do this and would be denied boarding at CDG, where that ticket originates.
drjeffrock, NickB and irishguy28 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I agree (strongly) with Often1. Forget about the miles and 2 tickets. Have everything on the same ticket. It’s no time to play with « complex » itineraries which could be a total recipe for disaster in current times.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Cannot agree more with Goldorak.
As a general statement, there is no such thing as "hard linking" reservations in AFKL systems, just a soft link that could be added as a free text on the reservation, and that might be use by agents during the preparation of the flight, especially when 2 people are on a separate PNR to avoid them being seated separately for example.
When multiple airlines use the same Departure Control System (AF uses Amadeus Altea, and I believe SB too), the check-in agent can see onward connections and link them to do a thru-check-in, but that does not happen at reservation level.
irishguy28 and drjeffrock like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I guess my questions stated differently are: am I complicating this too much by trying to use miles for the first two legs of the flight?
Yes, you are!

Just buy all travel on a single ticket; whether you pay for this ticket with cash only, with miles, or some combination, is up to you....I'm sure the AF phone agent would be more than happy to run you through all available options.

There is no good reason to book separate tickets - so please keep that adventure for some other time!
drjeffrock likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it! I just bit the bullet and paid with cash.
NickB likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It must have been painful but I think you made the right decision. Travel is filled with too much uncertainty at the moment to be able to take the kind of risks that we regard as acceptable in normal times.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
It must have been painful but I think you made the right decision. Travel is filled with too much uncertainty at the moment to be able to take the kind of risks that we regard as acceptable in normal times.
Indeed. It certainly was painful to buy that itinerary in J three weeks in advance, but I couldn’t let my wife spend 31 hours in the air in coach.

She will need to spend a night at the Yotel hotel in terminal 2E on the way back, as the NRT flight arrives in afternoon and there is only 1 daily flight to LAX at the moment. I don’t think it will be up to her standards but we will see lol...

Another painful part of it? I had to call AF in Noumea to finalize, it was a 40 minute call. I didn’t have time to try to find a voip solution to calling so I just called from my cellular. $5 per minute 👀

I need to pound it into my wife’s brain to not surf the Internet or make calls in NOU with her cellular unless she is on wifi/Viber/WhatsApp. And she is not the best with technology. Please keep drjeffrock and his wallet in your thoughts! 😂
canadavid, Goldorak and NickB like this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 1:07 am

Indeed. It certainly was painful to buy that itinerary in J three weeks in advance, but I couldn’t let my wife spend 31 hours in the air in coach.

She will need to spend a night at the Yotel hotel in terminal 2E on the way back, as the NRT flight arrives in afternoon and there is only 1 daily flight to LAX at the moment. I don’t think it will be up to her standards but we will see lol...

Another painful part of it? I had to call AF in Noumea to finalize, it was a 40 minute call. I didn’t have time to try to find a voip solution to calling so I just called from my cellular. $5 per minute 👀

I need to pound it into my wife’s brain to not surf the Internet or make calls in NOU with her cellular unless she is on wifi/Viber/WhatsApp. And she is not the best with technology. Please keep drjeffrock and his wallet in your thoughts! 😂
Skype wouldn’t have worked for that?

I had a similar problem pre Skype days having to make a call in Switzerland to the airline ( wifi wasn’t available at the hotel and we didn’t have a wifi pocket, maybe even pre- smartphone). Call was something like about 30 dollars on the hotel bill! I definitely feel your pain.
drjeffrock likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kasmersensei
Skype wouldn’t have worked for that?
Darn. I thought Skype was like WhatsApp in the sense that both users needed to be using the app/platform.

I just checked the rates and it would have only been a $25 call via Skype.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.