Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting via CDG on AF: do I need Covid test?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
If I am transiting from JFK-LHR-CDG-MLE next week, what is the proper timing for tests? All this language is quite confusing. I do recognize I need a negative test 96 hours prior to boarding from first port of embarkment for the MLE requirement.

How will this CDG requirement work?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Wink

Originally Posted by Klems
I'm really not sure I understand the outrage about mandatory tests for connecting passengers. At least, now it makes more sense. If I fly JFK to AMS and Amsterdam is my final destination, and I have to get tested prior to my flight, why would I want to sit next to a potential covidiot for 7 hours, whose final destination may not require a test and who is not respectful and considerate enough to make sure he/she isn't sick before boarding a metal tube? Much better this way and I wish they did the same in CDG.

Traveling is not supposed to be easy right now. So if poor little you cannot suffer the logistics or costs associated with private rapid testing, then stay home and don't travel. January will be bad enough.
It’s just more of the same theater of the absurd, political gesticulation, and is absolutely unenforceable.

If it’s done in AMS the way it is in CDG, where someone hardly glances at it, expect a significant share of travelers to simply forge it.

Even the upcoming blockchain-Bitcoin-AI -powered Heath passport is going to be a complete joke. How do you certify a vaccination/test from DRC, Kyrgyzstan, or Vanuatu?

at least the good news is that if everyone one the flight has tested negative no need to wear a mask right?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by slappychasez
If I am transiting from JFK-LHR-CDG-MLE next week, what is the proper timing for tests? All this language is quite confusing. I do recognize I need a negative test 96 hours prior to boarding from first port of embarkment for the MLE requirement.

How will this CDG requirement work?
I lost track of the last decisions following to the “UK panic attack” but I am not sure this trip is possible due to the LHR-CDG sector. You should call the airline and ask to be rebooked on JFK-CDG-MLE to skip LHR.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I lost track of the last decisions following to the “UK panic attack” but I am not sure this trip is possible due to the LHR-CDG sector. You should call the airline and ask to be rebooked on JFK-CDG-MLE to skip LHR.
Airline is unable to rebook me to eliminate the connection, but is telling me i need a separate 72hour PCR test prior to booking LHR, separate from the 96 hour PCR test for entering the Maldives...can't really make sense of this from the online literature available. Anyone have experience doing a US routing over the past few days while transiting via non-schengen regions?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Klems
I'm really not sure I understand the outrage about mandatory tests for connecting passengers. At least, now it makes more sense. If I fly JFK to AMS and Amsterdam is my final destination, and I have to get tested prior to my flight, why would I want to sit next to a potential covidiot for 7 hours, whose final destination may not require a test and who is not respectful and considerate enough to make sure he/she isn't sick before boarding a metal tube? Much better this way and I wish they did the same in CDG.

Traveling is not supposed to be easy right now. So if poor little you cannot suffer the logistics or costs associated with private rapid testing, then stay home and don't travel. January will be bad enough.
I don’t think the OP was doing anything else than asking for advice, unless you are happy he can’t get to MLE and keep berating him
I wouldn’t abuse the term
covidiot either as it is discriminatory of someone for a disease they don’t always choose to get with misbehavior or idiocy. How would you feel if you got it and they call you like that. “Travel is not supposed to be easy”
is also a rather patronizing way to answer to someone probably highly educated and knowledgeable like the OP (and, frankly, many others) who are trying to navigate the maze if regulations in constant contradiction with each other. If travel ought to be difficult at all costs then why not stop service altogether to some destinations. I doubt very many people to go to MLE from EU or US for a medical or family emergency, after all
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Airline is unable to rebook me to eliminate the connection, but is telling me i need a separate 72hour PCR test prior to booking LHR, separate from the 96 hour PCR test for entering the Maldives...can't really make sense of this from the online literature available. Anyone have experience doing a US routing over the past few days while transiting via non-schengen regions?
of course, the 2 tests thing is a complete non-sense. You need to have one compatible with both requirement (should be possible). Can you share which airlines you are flying on the different sectors and if all sectors are on one PNR and if you booked direct with one airline or via a TA ? I made the assumption that you were on VS (or DL) then AF-AF, hence my suggestion to eliminate the VS leg and be all AF. If my guess is right, I really don’t see why they could not rebook your as suggested as they are in a JV. If other airlines like BA/AA are involved for the 1st leg, then it’s getting more complicated for sure.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:54 pm

of course, the 2 tests thing is a complete non-sense. You need to have one compatible with both requirement (should be possible). Can you share which airlines you are flying on the different sectors and if all sectors are on one PNR and if you booked direct with one airline or via a TA ? I made the assumption that you were on VS (or DL) then AF-AF, hence my suggestion to eliminate the VS leg and be all AF. If my guess is right, I really don’t see why they could not rebook your as suggested as they are in a JV. If other airlines like BA/AA are involved for the 1st leg, then it’s getting more complicated for sure.
On a Delta award ticket, flying VS-AF-AF. Called Delta already and they wouldn't book me direct to CDG on this routing. But to my knowledge, this wouldn't change the requirement to transit CDG...
Old Dec 27, 2020, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

On a Delta award ticket, flying VS-AF-AF. Called Delta already and they wouldn't book me direct to CDG on this routing. But to my knowledge, this wouldn't change the requirement to transit CDG...
I don’t understand the problem with the transit in CDG. Can you clarify ? For me your problem is the transit in LHR, not CDG.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:51 am

I don’t understand the problem with the transit in CDG. Can you clarify ? For me your problem is the transit in LHR, not CDG.
i am receiving an email from Air France that a test less than 72 hours prior to boarding in LHR to CDG is needed.

given the holidays and PCR tests this will be difficult. Originally I was planning on taking a test 29/12, but now I will need to do so on 30/12 and risk not getting a result back prior to boarding. It’s creating a one day squeeze it in fact this is a requirement, but I don’t see why this would be needed when I am staying airside the whole time and transiting non-Schengen regions and can easily satisfy the end destination requirements.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

i am receiving an email from Air France that a test less than 72 hours prior to boarding in LHR to CDG is needed.

given the holidays and PCR tests this will be difficult. Originally I was planning on taking a test 29/12, but now I will need to do so on 30/12 and risk not getting a result back prior to boarding. It’s creating a one day squeeze it in fact this is a requirement, but I don’t see why this would be needed when I am staying airside the whole time and transiting non-Schengen regions and can easily satisfy the end destination requirements.
Because this is due to the last panic and dementia attack after the story of the so-called new variant of COVID in UK. Plenty of countries have stopped flights to/from UK. A few (including France) have reinstated flights under conditions (test) and I believe there are other requirements as well (not 100% sure). This is why I was strongly recommending you to be rebooked on JFK-CDG skipping LHR.

Last edited by Goldorak; Dec 28, 2020 at 12:20 am
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As suggested by Goldorak, try to change your flight .
If not, rapid antigen tests are accepted. Apparently, some are not sensitive to the new variant. But the list of accepted tests is here:
https://uk.ambafrance.org/List-of-an...-from-UK-29434

Results can be obtained very fast. But that means that you might have to take a separate test for the Maldives (I do not know what they accept).
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

Same day testing and result is now generally available in JFK Terminal 1.

We send people everyday.

It cost something just shy of $400.

This should cover all the LHR/CDG/MLE requirements. Of course there are no guarantees but many folks get their result in an hour. You need to get tested 72 hours prior to flying to London, I presume? If so I would I would test 3 days before day of travel then that would give you 24 hours to get to MLE. Should be do-able?

Good luck!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by adambrau
Same day testing and result is now generally available in JFK Terminal 1.

We send people everyday.

It cost something just shy of $400.

This should cover all the LHR/CDG/MLE requirements. Of course there are no guarantees but many folks get their result in an hour. You need to get tested 72 hours prior to flying to London, I presume? If so I would I would test 3 days before day of travel then that would give you 24 hours to get to MLE. Should be do-able?

Good luck!
$400 ??? No need to say a word
ACR2013 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
$400 ??? No need to say a word
Agree it's pretty steep. But then how much does a vacation in MLE cost?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by adambrau
Agree it's pretty steep. But then how much does a vacation in MLE cost?
but nothing justifies such a price. It has now become a real business in many countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.