Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting via CDG on AF: do I need Covid test?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Just a technical question though: some countries get the arrival data from airlines. In which case they would see that your trip did not originate in Amsterdam, but in Brazil. I know that you don't scan your boarding pass at arrival, but if the airline transmits your information to the local authorities (as they do for instance in Switzerland) then they'd know about you having been to a red country.

Or is that a loophole opened up by data flow issues? Would be idiotic, as it is too easy to circumvent the rules then.
I am pretty sure that it is the last leg only, which counts and put into travelers`s info.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by ACR2013
It is AF who decides wether to allow to board or not, and who is contradicts with its info.
And why do I care about "many international destinations", which require negative PCR if I am only need to go to one without any prior test? Again, AF needs to fix its mess, otherwise, people will be cancelling their flights, as what I did.
You may not care. But its AirFrance that gets stuck with the $13k fine if Paris finds someone we sent from JFK to CDG is an INAD and sent right back to NYC.

BTW where are you trying to go to? It sounds like you bought your ticket already but I would like to be helpful if I can.
brunos, kthomas, Goldorak and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adambrau
You may not care. But its AirFrance that gets stuck with the $13k fine if Paris finds someone we sent from JFK to CDG is an INAD and sent right back to NYC.

BTW where are you trying to go to? It sounds like you bought your ticket already but I would like to be helpful if I can.
If AF cared about the fine, it would had put a clear requirements on its site. Otherwise, people are mislead by AF stating no negative result is needed, and not allowing them to board. Very bad practice.
I already cancelled my AF flight, no need to book AF until clear transit requirements and compliance with those requirements.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ACR2013
If AF cared about the fine, it would had put a clear requirements on its site. Otherwise, people are mislead by AF stating no negative result is needed, and not allowing them to board. Very bad practice.
I already cancelled my AF flight, no need to book AF until clear transit requirements and compliance with those requirements.
Believe me on one thing - AF cares about the fine.

I hope you have a great trip.
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Always a bit surprised when someone keeps ranting while some are trying to provide constructive help.

But I must agree that AF website is useless for foreign pax arriving or transiting in France.
Traveldoc just gives the "normal" entry rules. For example it states that a US citizen flying to France is clear to board the flight. Which does not seem right as normal US citizen are not.
https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero/results

It does not mention requirements for transit. One must search somewhere else, but you would expect the major French airline whose hub is CDG to clearly present them on their website.

Most airlines have a detailed set of rules directly on the website. Yes, it is a lot of work to keep the information updated, but you would expect the airline that you are going to use to provide the information rather than going on a fishing expedition on various websites.
Others use directly TIMATIC on their website. For example UA uses TIMATIC which includes up to date covid information (at least almost up to date).
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...TIMATIC&POS=US
San Gottardo, kthomas and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 22, 2020 at 9:11 am
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Always a bit surprised when someone keeps ranting while some are trying to provide constructive help.

But I must agree that AF website is useless for foreign pax arriving or transiting in France.
Traveldoc just gives the "normal" entry rules. For example it states that a US citizen flying to France is clear to board the flight. Which does not seem right as normal US citizen are not.
https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero/results

It does not mention requirements for transit. One must search somewhere else, but you would expect the major French airline whose hub is CDG to clearly present them on their website.

Most airlines have a detailed set of rules directly on the website. Yes, it is a lot of work to keep the information updated, but you would expect the airline that you are going to use to provide the information rather than going on a fishing expedition on various websites.
Others use directly TIMATIC on their website. For example UA uses TIMATIC which includes up to date covid information (at least almost up to date).
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...TIMATIC&POS=US
The problem with Traveldoc saying Americans can travel to France is that, from what we have concluded, an American flying to Paris or Shenghen from one of the air bubbles - say Tokyo Incheon PRC where they live, might be admitted. An American flying from America will be denied short of further documentation. So Traveldoc can be misleading. Which is why you have to go to Timatic and the embassy/consular websites. At JFK, when we have unclear directives, we tend to go with the website with the strictest interpretation. We often call the PAF (French border police) when there is no clear answer.

Of course as an airline employee at the airport, most days we are completely overwhelmed. Especially when a family of passengers show up minutes before checkin closes with multiple bags, different passports, incomplete documents, etc, etc.

In a perfect world there would be one site we could reference that would be up to date and written in such a way that doesn't require an attorney to comb through the mumbo jumbo. Because Air France flies to many destinations most Americans have probably never heard of, the decision to allow some passenger to fly to a destination is often complex. Lome, Ouagadougou, Abidjan, Beirut, Freetown, Kinshasa, Conakry, Minsk, Kiev, Tunis, Tianjin etc etc. Maybe it is easier for United to solely rely on Timatic because their int'l route structure is London Tokyo Frankfurt Sao Paulo. But we can't. Traveldoc, or the airfrance-new.traveldoc.aero version we use, is more quickly updated than Timatic, in general. But as I said it is sometimes unclear what is written and in a sometimes stressful and deadline oriented environment it can get pretty intense.

Brunos - your points and experience about this situation are well founded as usual - you know Air France very well. I'm just trying to give you a behind the scenes flavor of the complexities and ever changing rules that we have to deal with at the airport.

Can you imagine we still have people turning up every day with an American passport at JFK and they are shocked they cannot go to Paris? AirFrance is fighting for it's existence, but at least we managed to keep on flying through it all when many airlines cancelled. We flew many stranded people home. We're proud of that.

Lastly in our defense. I have rarely heard any airlines' frequent fliers sing the praises of their carrier's website. In survival mode, I would think that will continue. Ultimately, documents needed are the responsibility of the passenger. I understand that travel is complex at the moment. It's probably going to become more so before the tide turns. Maybe not the best time to buy your tickets on CheapoAir.com. Air France's website advises passengers to check travel formalities in pretty bold style:

TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS

Before making any travel plans, please contact the relevant national authorities to check entry and stay requirements in your destination and transit countries. Conditions and entry documents should also be checked for children traveling alone.

For more information regarding entry restrictions and required travel documents, we recommend consulting the TravelDoc website prior to departure. Please also visit the embassy website of your departure, transit and destination countries for the latest up-to-date travel information.

Safe (and seamless) travels!
Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by adambrau
The problem with Traveldoc saying Americans can travel to France is that, from what we have concluded, an American flying to Paris or Shenghen from one of the air bubbles - say Tokyo Incheon PRC where they live, might be admitted. An American flying from America will be denied short of further documentation. So Traveldoc can be misleading. Which is why you have to go to Timatic and the embassy/consular websites. At JFK, when we have unclear directives, we tend to go with the website with the strictest interpretation. We often call the PAF (French border police) when there is no clear answer.

Of course as an airline employee at the airport, most days we are completely overwhelmed. Especially when a family of passengers show up minutes before checkin closes with multiple bags, different passports, incomplete documents, etc, etc.

In a perfect world there would be one site we could reference that would be up to date and written in such a way that doesn't require an attorney to comb through the mumbo jumbo. Because Air France flies to many destinations most Americans have probably never heard of, the decision to allow some passenger to fly to a destination is often complex. Lome, Ouagadougou, Abidjan, Beirut, Freetown, Kinshasa, Conakry, Minsk, Kiev, Tunis, Tianjin etc etc. Maybe it is easier for United to solely rely on Timatic because their int'l route structure is London Tokyo Frankfurt Sao Paulo. But we can't. Traveldoc, or the airfrance-new.traveldoc.aero version we use, is more quickly updated than Timatic, in general. But as I said it is sometimes unclear what is written and in a sometimes stressful and deadline oriented environment it can get pretty intense.

Brunos - your points and experience about this situation are well founded as usual - you know Air France very well. I'm just trying to give you a behind the scenes flavor of the complexities and ever changing rules that we have to deal with at the airport.

Can you imagine we still have people turning up every day with an American passport at JFK and they are shocked they cannot go to Paris? AirFrance is fighting for it's existence, but at least we managed to keep on flying through it all when many airlines cancelled. We flew many stranded people home. We're proud of that.

Lastly in our defense. I have rarely heard any airlines' frequent fliers sing the praises of their carrier's website. In survival mode, I would think that will continue. Ultimately, documents needed are the responsibility of the passenger. I understand that travel is complex at the moment. It's probably going to become more so before the tide turns. Maybe not the best time to buy your tickets on CheapoAir.com. Air France's website advises passengers to check travel formalities in pretty bold style:

TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS

Before making any travel plans, please contact the relevant national authorities to check entry and stay requirements in your destination and transit countries. Conditions and entry documents should also be checked for children traveling alone.

For more information regarding entry restrictions and required travel documents, we recommend consulting the TravelDoc website prior to departure. Please also visit the embassy website of your departure, transit and destination countries for the latest up-to-date travel information.

Safe (and seamless) travels!
Traveldoc for an American departing from USA to France is not misleading, it is just plain wrong.
Traveldoc has a multi-destination version, so the result they give for the one-way USA-France is shockingly wrong.
It would not matter much if this was for a minor country where AF is not currently flying., but the major AF longaul destination.
AF should be ashamed of recommending Traveldoc "For more information regarding entry restrictions and required travel documents, we recommend consulting the TravelDoc website prior to departure" with a direct link on AF website.
I feel for you who have to confront pax who are misled by AF website. Your job is already very very difficult in the current situation.

All airlines are in a dismal situation, especially on their longhaul network. And the prospects for the next two years are bad. Most have reduced their longhaul flights to very very few. QR is still flying to a very large number of destinations as their butterfly model is better adapted to fill planes than PtP. But their loads are dismal. Taken individually, each airline is potentially bankrupt, now or in a year or two. But globally there is a need for airlines. But maybe with a total capacity cut of 50% for the coming years.
Alll pax still flying suffer a bit of cost-cutting, but we mostly hear people quibbling about some service reduction on short flights or the lack of P lounge. Overall, the level of AF criticism is quite limited. You should feel good of being part of AF in current catastrophic times for airlines. Unfortunately, this is a bit at taxpayer expenses.
San Gottardo, kthomas and Goldorak like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Flew CAI-CDG-JFK on 25 September.
In case there is any lingering confusion about the matter, you do not, repeat, do not, need a Covid-19 test for an international transit at CDG of up to 24 hours between non-Schengen destinations. (Nor do you need a Covid-19 test to board such AF flights, which was another spurious confusion doing the rounds amongst some.) You would need a Covid-19 test only if your final destination demands it.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
Flew CAI-CDG-JFK on 25 September.
In case there is any lingering confusion about the matter, you do not, repeat, do not, need a Covid-19 test for an international transit at CDG of up to 24 hours between non-Schengen destinations. (Nor do you need a Covid-19 test to board such AF flights, which was another spurious confusion doing the rounds amongst some.) You would need a Covid-19 test only if your final destination demands it.

Egypt is not on the mandatory test list (neither when boarding or on arrival !)

The only question is : do you need to be tested on arrival or before departure with routes like MEX-CDG-MAD with a short connection in CDG...
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by IstKong
Egypt is not on the mandatory test list (neither when boarding or on arrival !)

The only question is : do you need to be tested on arrival or before departure with routes like MEX-CDG-MAD with a short connection in CDG...
I was in mexico in September then back to ams with transit in cdg no test asked
IstKong likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Wil973
I was in mexico in September then back to ams with transit in cdg no test asked
Same here, GIG-AMS-CDG, no questions asked but it does not answer the question for itineraries like GIG-CDG-AMS !
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Egypt is not on the mandatory test list (neither when boarding or on arrival !) [.....]
I am not sure what "mandatory test list" you are talking about. In fact, the Egyptian authorities do require a Covid-19 test for all passengers entering Egypt at CAI. So, when it's time for me to fly back to CAI, I do expect to have to present AF with a Covid-19 test at check-in at JFK. This will be to ensure that I am in compliance with regulations at my final destination, not because I need it to board the plane per se, and not because I would be transiting at CDG.
I, of course, was leaving CAI, so that requirement did not effect me. My final destination, the USA, does not require a Covid-19 test for arrivals.
Anyway, having recounted my own experience from a few days back, I give up -- some people seem just not to want to take "yes" for an answer.

Last edited by husseinbadr; Sep 30, 2020 at 3:40 am
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum , Marriott Gold
Same here, GIG-AMS-CDG, no questions asked but it does not answer the question for itineraries like GIG-CDG-AMS !
Just arrived today from a GIG-CDG-ARN trip. Swedish passport. It was not possible to arrange a Covid-19 test in Brazil so was expecting one in CDG on arrival. Walked from 2E to 2F with no signs at all of this "test area". So in my experience , no testing for transfer passengers.
IstKong likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Patagonico
Just arrived today from a GIG-CDG-ARN trip. Swedish passport. It was not possible to arrange a Covid-19 test in Brazil so was expecting one in CDG on arrival. Walked from 2E to 2F with no signs at all of this "test area". So in my experience , no testing for transfer passengers.

Very useful, thank you. Hope you had a great time in Rio de Janeiro.
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & More, AAdvantage, Accor Le Club Silver
I just flew AF from London to SXM last Saturday and there was a very odd and stressful situation in CDG for about 20 of us. SXM has updated their entry requirements for a negative COVID test 120 hours before travel, but apparently AF didn't know this. I showed my results to AF staff on check-in at LHR with no issues. Yet when boarding to SXM, we were told our results were not meeting requirements, after multiple calls back and forth between the SXM authorities we were finally allowed to board even though they offloaded us and our luggage (which was never put back on). So please check you requirements for your country and try and get your tests as close as possible to date of travel. When arriving in SXM it was not an issue at all and was an unnecessary inconvenience. For CDG itself there are some requirements for certain countries entering France, however most seem to be okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.