Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
But, I am assuming that if you have left France after January 30 with a motif impérieux (and you are either a French citizen or you hold a French residency permit), then you can come back to France simply with a valid PCR test and proof of citizenship or residency (French passport or residency card).
Correct.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Here is the trip report everyone has been waiting for.

Flew JFK to CDG direct on DL this weekend

Some background on my case for reference:
  • French Passport with non European/US address
  • Single traveler
  • Flying Economy
  • STE+

Checked in at the airport since I couldn’t OLCI. No mention of the attestation de déplacement, they just asked to see the Covid test and asked if I had the health declaration (but didn’t check it).

They asked (and have asked every time I’ve flown these past few months) my country of residence. I said France as always; no further question.

At boarding everyone was being directed to the podium for a second check of the Covid test. No further question and I was on my way.

At CDG, you can see they have beefed up the health theater: the COVID tests are now checked by protection civile instead of ADP employees.

DL handed us the old attestation during the flight so I had that and was ready to play dumb in case they asked for motif impérieux but that was all unnecessary.

The PAF agent barely looked at my passport and didn’t ask a single question before letting me in. They didn’t ask to see my attestations at any point

In summary and as predicted the travel ban on French citizens appears to be more theatrical than anything else.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thank you, Chuvash, for this detailed and interesting report.
Chuvash likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I just looked at the global covid numbers this morning and it looks like France is now the worst country in the world after Israel, Czech Republic, and a short list of smaller countries. Worse than the US, UK, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Sweden...
And still, they are arguing that they are closing borders to avoid a new lock-down...
af fp likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
@Chuvash thanks for the additional data point.

Do we have any recent data on people leaving France? Specifically, how difficult are they being? Or has the drama calmed down after the blitz the first week of February?

I am still wondering if I can feasibly leave without huge difficulty... with two foreign passports.. ?

(though my big trip, SBH is cancelled... grrrrrrrr)
Chuvash likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I know the situation changes daily, but a US citizen who arrives from a non-EU country, transiting CDG while never leaving the international transit area to an onward non-EU destination, has the negative PCR test in-hand, and completes the health declaration form should be allowed to board and travel without a motif impérieux -- right? (Since they are never "entering" France/EU)
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I know the situation changes daily, but a US citizen who arrives from a non-EU country, transiting CDG while never leaving the international transit area to an onward non-EU destination, has the negative PCR test in-hand, and completes the health declaration form should be allowed to board and travel without a motif impérieux -- right? (Since they are never "entering" France/EU)
Yes, transit is permitted. As you are not entering France you are not subject to that rule.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Chuvash
Here is the trip report everyone has been waiting for.

Flew JFK to CDG direct on DL this weekend

Some background on my case for reference:
  • French Passport with non European/US address
  • Single traveler
  • Flying Economy
  • STE+

Checked in at the airport since I couldn’t OLCI. No mention of the attestation de déplacement, they just asked to see the Covid test and asked if I had the health declaration (but didn’t check it).

They asked (and have asked every time I’ve flown these past few months) my country of residence. I said France as always; no further question.

At boarding everyone was being directed to the podium for a second check of the Covid test. No further question and I was on my way.

At CDG, you can see they have beefed up the health theater: the COVID tests are now checked by protection civile instead of ADP employees.

DL handed us the old attestation during the flight so I had that and was ready to play dumb in case they asked for motif impérieux but that was all unnecessary.

The PAF agent barely looked at my passport and didn’t ask a single question before letting me in. They didn’t ask to see my attestations at any point

In summary and as predicted the travel ban on French citizens appears to be more theatrical than anything else.
Thanks a lot for this report. And what about the self-isolation period and commitment to do a test for "release" ? Did you have to provide a signed statement/form with your address of self-isolation ?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thanks a lot for this report. And what about the self-isolation period and commitment to do a test for "release" ? Did you have to provide a signed statement/form with your address of self-isolation ?
I had the form in my back pocket just in case, but I didn’t show it since absolutely no one asked to see it (or any other form for that mater). Not that it’s enforceable anyway since the Supreme Court was pretty clear on that back in May.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I just looked at the global covid numbers this morning and it looks like France is now the worst country in the world after Israel, Czech Republic, and a short list of smaller countries. Worse than the US, UK, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Sweden...
And still, they are arguing that they are closing borders to avoid a new lock-down...
French daily cases are roughly twice as bad as in other major European countries (Germany, UK, Spain, Italy) and increasing.
Seen from abroad, weak domestic restrictions (including travel within EU), coupled with strict non-EU travel restrictions looks inconsistent.
But I doubt that non-EU travel restrictions will be lifted before the summer. I also expect them to be enforced more strictly, as this is one area where the government can easily "show off".

Last edited by brunos; Feb 22, 2021 at 4:40 pm
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by brunos
But I doubt that non-EU travel restrictions will be lifted before the summer. I also expect them to be enforced more strictly, as this is one area where the government can easily "show off".
Yes, that and "weekend lockdowns" .... 🙄🙄
Old Feb 23, 2021, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Even if the numbers are bad please don't compare like that ..
NOne of the countries you choosed have free test ..so of course the numbers can be low. .. i paid 100 euros for a test in rio .. and of course no wait time ...
I agree the numbers are bad in france but the positivy % is 6.3...
It is like saying hey Madagascar only 260 cases this week but hey only 2500 test also
Goldorak likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Wil973
Even if the numbers are bad please don't compare like that ..
Originally Posted by Wil973
NOne of the countries you choosed have free test ..so of course the numbers can be low. .. i paid 100 euros for a test in rio .. and of course no wait time ...
I agree the numbers are bad in france but the positivy % is 6.3...
It is like saying hey Madagascar only 260 cases this week but hey only 2500 test also

Free testing is widely available in the US including in NY and TX where I’ve experienced it. It’s even free for uninsured individuals. In NY you often get same day results.

I paid c.$50 in Rio but only because I did not have a referral from a GP, it’s free otherwise. I would be very surprised if Russia also didn’t have free testing, they tend to be good at that stuff based on my experience.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Chuvash

Free testing is widely available in the US including in NY and TX where I’ve experienced it. It’s even free for uninsured individuals. In NY you often get same day results.

I paid c.$50 in Rio but only because I did not have a referral from a GP, it’s free otherwise. I would be very surprised if Russia also didn’t have free testing, they tend to be good at that stuff based on my experience.
Free in Rio where please. I would love to know. Please don't say hospital when you have symptoms
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I feel bad for having contributed. Apologies.
But, please, let's not get side-tracked and engage in one of those debates totally unrelated to the thread topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.