Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by smartytravel
How can I access TIMATIC? It appears as though I would need to pay to access it. Do some airlines offer free access?
smartytravel I access the Timatic information via this link: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Please note their disclaimer:

This COVID-19 map is updated regularly and due to the ever-changing nature of the regulations, we strongly advise that you check with your airline before you travel. This information is part of IATA´s Timatic offering and as such unlimited access is available via a subscription. Access to this map is a courtesy allowing you to view a maximum of 10 countries. Thank you for your understanding.
-- IATA Travel Center Team
smartytravel likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by smartytravel
I recently bought a ticket for August/September: USA-CDG-ARL-CDG-USA.

I hold a European non-French passport. Am I allowed to transit via CDG? What are the requirements for travel? Do I need to take a COVID test? If so, which one? How long before the flight?
Do not bother with that now. What we can say could not be valid tomorrow. Please come back in july/august. What I can say for sure (or almost ) is that you'll be allowed to transit in CDG.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Do not bother with that now. What we can say could not be valid tomorrow. Please come back in july/august. What I can say for sure (or almost ) is that you'll be allowed to transit in CDG.
This.

Today's rules may not be tomorrow's rules and tomorrow's may change again. Your specific nationality (EU may not matter), your residence, and where you have been in the past 14-21 days may also matter as well.

All worth thinking about in the 30 days prior to your travel and also when you should book as it is possible that CDG is the best or the worst transit point at that time.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
smartytravel I access the Timatic information via this link: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Please note their disclaimer:

This COVID-19 map is updated regularly and due to the ever-changing nature of the regulations, we strongly advise that you check with your airline before you travel. This information is part of IATA´s Timatic offering and as such unlimited access is available via a subscription. Access to this map is a courtesy allowing you to view a maximum of 10 countries. Thank you for your understanding.
-- IATA Travel Center Team
A more detailed part of the IATA website, which includes transit is given here (change from Tanzania):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TZ-...uirements.htm#

AF uses an improved version (not publicly available) of:
https://www.traveldoc.aero/
You have to check "transit" if there is one.
That public version had quite a few mistakes. Maybe it has been crected.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue
French newspaper Le Monde published today two papers about the entry regulations:
https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...0350_3224.html
and
https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/artic...0480_3244.html
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Err..France
French newspaper Le Monde published today two papers about the entry regulations:
https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...0350_3224.html
and
https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/artic...0480_3244.html
The comments on the first article are generally pretty ignorant and negative, mostly attacking expat "privileges"... people that clearly don't travel and have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

I guess it's normal on any public forum. But reading them makes your blood pressure rise...
Yul_voyager and Err..France like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
The comments on the first article are generally pretty ignorant and negative, mostly attacking expat "privileges"... people that clearly don't travel and have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.
Can't agree more. The overall "they deserve it" excitement that is well-shared amongst comments says a lot about how travel is perceived by the general population (and readers of Le Monde can't even be described as average).

For travelers, that's not a good sign. If this kind of half-baked measure is well-received by the population, the chances of seing it being lifted soon are quite slim.
blairvanhorn and Err..France like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by maalloc
Can't agree more. The overall "they deserve it" excitement that is well-shared amongst comments says a lot about how travel is perceived by the general population (and readers of Le Monde can't even be described as average).

For travelers, that's not a good sign. If this kind of half-baked measure is well-received by the population, the chances of seing it being lifted soon are quite slim.
The only chance is with the Conseil d'État, politically those kind of restrictions are very popular. However it takes a while to be considered, those restrictions have been in place for almost 3 weeks...
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by maalloc

What crossed my mind in reading this was that this was a calculated move on behalf of the French government. All about impression, light and unclear on substance. It doesn't affect most people and most people will agree because it SOUNDS sensible... and they have no pity for "those rich people" traveling overseas. Nor do they have any understanding that France is one of the worst-affected countries with COVID and that policies should start at home.

In a time when they cannot get their act together AT ALL about vaccinations... which is a complete disaster... why not look strong by enacting poorly-written communication that sounds like you've taken control of the situation? (a year late and poorly)...

It's like my grandmother trying to feed me food I didn't like when I was 3 and said "look at the birdie"...
Old Feb 20, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Where is that stated in the rules? I don't see that anywhere at all... quite the contrary. It says clearly that returning passengers must have a motif impérieux.... and it doesn't mention French citizens living abroad.
Happy to help. Upon further inquiry it seems any French passenger, with a valid PCR test, can travel to France from JFK. That's about as far as I can go!

Last edited by adambrau; Feb 20, 2021 at 8:33 am
Old Feb 20, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by adambrau
Happy to help. Upon further inquiry it seems any French passenger, with a valid PCR test, can travel to France from JFK. That's about as far as I can go!
Thank you adambrau! What about EU citizens resident in France?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
If France is the principal residence it's fine. But make sure you bring all possible docs to prove - rent statement, utility bills, mortgage etc. As others have noted above it would seem that France is just trying to slow travel into the country in theory. In practice it seems different. Having a 'sick' relative helps. Strictly just my observations.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by adambrau
If France is the principal residence it's fine. But make sure you bring all possible docs to prove - rent statement, utility bills, mortgage etc. As others have noted above it would seem that France is just trying to slow travel into the country in theory. In practice it seems different. Having a 'sick' relative helps. Strictly just my observations.
But, I am assuming that if you have left France after January 30 with a motif impérieux (and you are either a French citizen or you hold a French residency permit), then you can come back to France simply with a valid PCR test and proof of citizenship or residency (French passport or residency card).
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
But, I am assuming that if you have left France after January 30 with a motif impérieux (and you are either a French citizen or you hold a French residency permit), then you can come back to France simply with a valid PCR test and proof of citizenship or residency (French passport or residency card).
yes, but you’d better keep the proofs of the motif impérieux that allowed you to leave France after 30/01 just in case.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
yes, but you’d better keep the proofs of the motif impérieux that allowed you to leave France after 30/01 just in case.
Absolutely agree, Goldorak. I tend to doubt that the PAF has any kind of database that is used for tracking the motifs impérieux of pax who depart France, so as you say, it's best to keep proof of the reasons that allowed you to leave France, just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.