Search

COVID Restrictions to entry in France

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by adambrau
Just as an aside, at JFK we are still changing tickets for no charge if the reason for not traveling is Covid-related immigration changes or wrong/no PCR test.. Not sure if you have the number of IAD La Premiere but might be worth looking into. Travel safely.
Thanks for stepping in.
Have you denied boarding to any French passport holder residing in US, because they have no "motif imperieux"?
Is AF asking for any proof of "French residence" from those with a US address on their French passport? If so, what proof are you asking?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
Well said.
It is sad that my LREM deputé for Eastern Europe/Asia does not even respond to emails sent over a week ago. Macron is building a lot of animosity in that region.
I also wrote to my deputé (10th circonscription - MEA) to better understand why nothing is said/done around the matter.

I'm a French citizen, currently in France but residing in East Africa, with a North Africa address on my passport - my wife is in France, living in France. My understanding of the current measures is that I can only go to East Africa for a compelling matter (raison impérieuse) that will solely be appreciated by a custom agent at CDG. And even then, if I make it back there and fancy, say, seeing my wife in France, 2 weeks from now, I would need another reason impérieuse or be able to prove my French residency (which I don’t have at the moment).

I'm obviously not saying that’s the current plan, but not planing to do something is last time I checked not a reason to renounce rights that have been granted.

I would encourage any french FTer living outside the EU to write to their local representative. As stated in the quoted message above, the likelihood of receiving an answer is small, the likelihood of it being read somehow less small (I hope!).

Last edited by offvoice; Feb 10, 2021 at 2:50 am
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by offvoice
I also wrote to my deputé (10th circonscription - MEA) to better understand why nothing is said/done around the matter.

I’m a French citizen, currently in France but residing in East Africa, with a North Africa address on my passport - my wife is in France, living in France. My understanding of the current measures is that I can only go to East Africa for a compelling matter (raison impérieuse) that will solely be appreciated by a custom agent at CDG. And even then, if I make it back there and fancy, say, seeing my wife in France, 2 weeks from now, I would need another reason impérieuse or be able to prove my French residency (which I don’t have at the moment).

I’m obviously not saying that’s the current plan, but not planing to do something is last time I checked not a reason to renounce rights that have been granted.

I would encourage any french FTer living outside the EU to write to their local representative. As stated in the quoted message above, the likelihood of receiving an answer is small, the likelihood of it being read somehow less small (I hope!).
Apologies for quoting myself, but I actually already received an answer I'm guessing more effective than Easter Europe delegates.
Bonjour,

Nous accusons bonne réception de votre message que nous n'avons manqué de transmettre ŕ [deputée name].

Comme vous, [deputée name] regrette ces mesures et espčre qu'elles soient le plus bref possible. Nous nous permettons toutefois de vous indiquer que la liste des motifs impérieux communiquée par le ministčre de l'intérieur est indicative et non exhaustive et que chaque situation peut s'apprécier au cas par cas. Jusqu'ici, nous n'avons pas connu de situation qui n'a pas pu se débloquer et nous nous tenons ŕ la disposition de tous ceux qui devraient se déplacer afin de les aiguiller dans les justificatifs ŕ fournir, etc.

Sur les actions ŕ mener, plusieurs collectifs de citoyens français ŕ l'étranger ont engagé des recours contre ces décisions devant le Conseil d'Etat. Vous pouvez facilement retrouver ces actions sur les réseaux sociaux.

Bien cordialement,
The fact that they mention that "chaque situation peut s'apprécier au cas par cas" is beyond me, but anyway, appreciate the answer. After what they mentioned, I took upon myself to find the initiatives they mentioned, and found this (in case some of you might want to join). I signed it and shared it in my network, hoping you can do the same.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Thanks for the feedback, and the link.

The fact that they mention that "chaque situation peut s'apprécier au cas par cas" is beyond me.
Yes, they are basically acknowledging what we all feared: that the right to leave or come back would be subject to discrimination from border agents or check-in staff.

Seems like the best strategy to be able to leave/go back to France is to bring in tons of paperwork (the sheer height of a stack of paper does wonders in France), and pray that the various agents had a good night's rest, a pleasant breakfast, and good bowel movement in the morning.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
The fact that they mention that "chaque situation peut s'apprécier au cas par cas" is beyond me, but anyway, appreciate the answer.

Nous nous permettons toutefois de vous indiquer que la liste des motifs impérieux communiquée par le ministčre de l'intérieur est indicative et non exhaustive et que chaque situation peut s'apprécier au cas par cas.
Indeed, but I think you're looking at the glass half-empty, and I prefer to look at it half-full 😏: the list of motifs impérieux is pretty boiler-plate, and if you have good reason(s) and documents to back you up - as well as AF ground staff - then you should be able to travel. At least this is what I keep telling myself so as not to lose hope!
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by adambrau
Just as an aside, at JFK we are still changing tickets for no charge if the reason for not traveling is Covid-related immigration changes or wrong/no PCR test.. Not sure if you have the number of IAD La Premiere but might be worth looking into. Travel safely.
Yes, I do and did have the number. That was the service I was going through. You may have missed the subsequent post in which I reported that the agents there successfully made the change I requested without fee but only after requesting a dérogation. It would be nice if, under the circumstances, AF at least explicitly reinstated its policy in place for most of 2020 for flights in/out of France. I appreciate how, on an apparently ad hoc basis, different stations and even individual agents make what most of us would consider "the right call" in the face of what seems to be a counterproductive policy. My hope would be that AF's commercial policy "gurus" will wake up and realize what's going on so they can announce and institutionalize better policy. It should be a no-brainer that AF wants to maintain the loyalty of those of us who stick with the company no matter what and complain mostly out of a spirit of loyalty to an airline that means a lot to us and which we can't wait to fly again even as the pandemic rages around us.

I'll drag this out to provide an example of an anomaly I pointed out to AF that was favorably resolved for me but without being sure it was resolved for all concerned. Those who fly P class in/out of CDG know about the Hertz-Drive-U service within a certain radius of CDG. Last year, just as coronavirus was about to force us into lockdown, I upgraded a J class flight to P en route to CDG. After doing so, I requested the Hertz service and received responses that it was all set up. Then I received apologies saying that the service was not available to those who upgrade to P. I replied that I was puzzled, since this would be the first time I would be deprived of any aspect of any service in an upgraded class. I added that there was no notation anywhere that I was aware of stating that the Hertz service would be unavailable. After a response that essentially said "You make a lot of good points, and we'll check with our superiors," I was told that, because I had pointed this out and given my loyalty, AF would grant an exception. I answered that I was not seeking favors and would only accept the Hertz car if it represented a change of policy or a commitment to review the policy to make the service available or clearly state that it would not be. I have no idea how this played out (except that I did use the car) but took it as further confirmation of AF's frequent incoherence at the level of management. I repeat that the agents caught in the middle usually try their best to find solutions even in the midst of silly contradictions.

But back to the main point of this thread and expanding on what brunos asked, how are you treating non-French nationals with legal/primary residence in France without motifs impérieux? I would also repeat the questions I made to someone at IAD regarding non-French nationals with primary legal residence in France who left France after 31 January to reach their so-called "country of origin," in this case Americans: Are you or will you deny them boarding because they did not leave France under a motif impérieux? Will you ask them (and presumably every traveler who left France after 31 January) to produce their attestation prior to leaving France? Will you already somehow be aware of that (i.e., via your computer database) at check-in? Also, as brunos asks, what proof are you asking people produce?

FYI to all, I know that the French nationals out there who are extremely, and understandably, exercised about this continue to stress that they, as French nationals, deserve priority and special treatment, I will speak up as a non-French resident of France to argue that we should be in some solidarity about this. My primary residence is in France, and it would be as devastating to me not to be able to return to the place I consider home. I may not have exercised my right to apply for French citizenship, but I fully consider myself an immigrant here. It may satisfy the chauvinistic tendencies of some to draw what I consider a tendentious distinction, and it may be that in practice and under French law that is entirely justified. I assure you, however, that I would never begrudge any legal permanent resident of the U.S. (i.e., "green card holder") his/her rights to be able to return to the U.S. under any circumstances. That has, fortunately, been the policy under the benighted Trump administration and now the Biden administration. On est tous ensemble dans ce combat.

And now I'll sit back down and resume eating my yogurt...
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:32 am

After what they mentioned, I took upon myself to find the initiatives they mentioned, and found this (in case some of you might want to join). I signed it and shared it in my network, hoping you can do the same.
I probably shouldn't have done so, but I signed it as well and appended the following in my mediocre French:
Je suis de nationalité américaine et titulaire d’un titre de séjour depuis presque 10 ans avec résidence primaire en France. Je me sens aussi concerné par ces mesures injustes qu’un ressortissant français. J’aurais espéré une démarche plus globale, mais j’apporte mon soutien ŕ votre cause.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
Yes, they are basically acknowledging what we all feared: that the right to leave or come back would be subject to discrimination from border agents or check-in staff.

Seems like the best strategy to be able to leave/go back to France is to bring in tons of paperwork (the sheer height of a stack of paper does wonders in France), and pray that the various agents had a good night's rest, a pleasant breakfast, and good bowel movement in the morning.
Exactly.

As I think about what I hope will be my return to France in late March, after leaving earlier on the basis of traveling to my "country of origin" (UGH!), here is what I currently envisage:

--COVID tests on both sides of the Atlantic (once my biggest source of concern) in hand and no problem.
--Hassle/threats/intimidation at CDG preparing to board (by the police more than by the AF ground staff).
--Minimal to no hassle/threats/intimidation by CBP at arrival in IAD.
--Acceptance to board for my return on the basis of my primary residence in France by AF staff at IAD (based on what I've been told so far).
--God knows freaking what on arrival at CDG.
To expand a bit on the latter:
--First hassle with PAF over my motif for leaving France, leading to intimidation/possible threats in the form of taking me out of line for further questioning and dark hints of being returned to my pays d'origine and/or possible revocation of my titre de séjour.
--Second hassle in the form of a full presentation of my documentation (less-than-wonderful memories of my annual visits to la Préfecture de police de Paris), consisting of my stack of papers that will include last gas bill, tax statements, bank statements, possibly the acte de vente for my apartment, and any freaking other piece of official paper I can come up with) followed by more specific intimidation and threats.
--Eventual release, perhaps accompanied by a theatrical demand by customs agents to open and rifle through my checked baggage, possibly resulting in the confiscation of any jars of peanut butter that I may have placed inside.

--Or ... nothing, exactly as occurred the last two times I returned (in July and October).

If it's the first, and since I'm traveling P, it will be either entertaining or a freakout for the AF agent accompanying me.

And none of this takes into account the implications of a possible new lockdown (which I prefer over the much too gentle confinement) while I'm in the U.S.

Last edited by Amrikibibaris; Feb 10, 2021 at 4:58 am Reason: Hit send too soon, added last four words to complete my thought.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Amrikibibaris
If it's the first, and since I'm traveling P, it will be either entertaining or a freakout for the AF agent accompanying me.

And none of this takes into account the implications of a possible new lockdown (which I prefer over the much too gentle confinement) while I'm in the U.S
I do feel that traveling in P will definitely help your case (you will have the AF ground staff with you at 100%).

And, yes, a new lockdown is a distinct possibility, though I don't think it could be any worse (travel-wise) than the restrictions currently in place.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P.S. I remember your mentioning a cat. If you do use the cat as an argument to get back in, I would avoid any uncomfortable Zoom situations with the PAF.

😏🤔😂
offvoice and Amrikibibaris like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
... "chaque situation peut s'apprécier au cas par cas" ...
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
...you should be able to travel...

On a case-by-case basis? "Should" be able to travel?? For crying out loud, we are paying garganteous sums of money for a largely overstaffed bureaucracy, their generous vacations and pensions - and they can't even formulate a text that provides certainty about what the rules are? It's left to ambiguity? The only difference between that and countries that are far lower on the HDI scale is that bribes aren't involved. But it's scandalous how they run and administer a country with their "maybe, depends on" vague method, executed by people who on top of applying vague rules typically don't even know them and apply their own personal interpretation. The case above of somone being refused passing the border at CDG despite being in transit is one example of where all this ambiguity and space for personal interpretation leads. People stress out, cannot plan, and waste a lot of time preparing things that are not demanded on paper but may be required by whoever sits in the PAF booth that day. What a banana republic.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

San Gottardo, you're preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned!
Chuvash likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
How dare you second guess ENArques, Vicars of the Republic? Don’t you know they got 16/20 in Math to get into l’X when they were 20? You think you know better?

In any case, travel is for the “rich” so if you can stick it to the rich it’s always good.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo

The only difference between that and countries that are far lower on the HDI scale is that bribes aren't involved.
This difference makes countries being lower on the HDI scale more reliable than e.g. France: The option of a bribe can give you a higher security/guarantee, you can be more sure to know what to expect. So, in this case, I would prefer to travel to/through/from such countries than e.g. France.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by postville
This difference makes countries being lower on the HDI scale more reliable than e.g. France: The option of a bribe can give you a higher security/guarantee, you can be more sure to know what to expect. So, in this case, I would prefer to travel to/through/from such countries than e.g. France.
And remember, a part of HDI is education and literacy. Something that appears to have been lost on the authors and those executing this ridiculous policy.
postville likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.