Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AF already cancelling flights in Aug/Sep 2020?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:09 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Is AF already cancelling flights in Aug/Sep 2020?

At the start of 2020 I booked a multi-city LHR-SIN, BKK-LHR all via CDG for end a August and start of September.

Out of curiosity I just searched for the flighs in the online AF timetable. The LHR-SIN gave the option to 'Buy a ticket'. But that option was not given for the BKK-LHR. Either the flights are fully booked (unlikely) or AF has already made schedule changes but will not notifiy me until two weeks before departure.

Has this happened at anyone else, whose flights are after the summer?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by siw
At the start of 2020 I booked a multi-city LHR-SIN, BKK-LHR all via CDG for end a August and start of September.

Out of curiosity I just searched for the flighs in the online AF timetable. The LHR-SIN gave the option to 'Buy a ticket'. But that option was not given for the BKK-LHR. Either the flights are fully booked (unlikely) or AF has already made schedule changes but will not notifiy me until two weeks before departure.

My SFO-CDG flight for Sept. 4 is the newly added 11pm departure and it still shows as valid, but I'm expecting it won't be eventually.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by siw

No cancellation of the unique booking left for the summer, yet. You should try to search for the individual legs (CDG-BKK-CDG and CDG-LHR-CDG) to better assess the situation.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:42 am
siw
Original Poster

Thanks Goldorak

Looking at the individual flights on the BKK-CDG-LHR at the begining of September, it is the BKK-CDG flight that does not have the option to 'But a ticket'. The CDG-LHR flight, just like the LHR-CDG and CDG-SIN flights, has the 'But a ticket' option when they are searched in the AF online timetable (https://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/lo...es/horaires.do). Does they imply the flight on that day has been taken out of the reservation system and will be cancelled?

Even though this is for a flight at the start of September AFKL refuse catagorically to refund tickets when they cancel a flight (which I experienced from my cancelled KL flights in April). Should I just request a voucher now and assume the August/September holiday is a no-go, rather than waiting for AF to notifiy me 2 weeks (it at all) before departure that the flight is cancelled? That way at least the voucher will expire 12 months from now to wait for its exiry and get the cash back, rather than wait further 12 months from August 2020 to get the cash back?

From what I am reading in the Thailand forums here, although nothing is confirmed yet and things change quickly, is that Thailand might mandate 14 day quarantine for quite along time (currently no entry to non-Thais and 14 day quarantine for returning Thais). If that happens no tourist would go to Thailand.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by siw
Thanks Goldorak

Looking at the individual flights on the BKK-CDG-LHR at the begining of September, it is the BKK-CDG flight that does not have the option to 'But a ticket'. The CDG-LHR flight, just like the LHR-CDG and CDG-SIN flights, has the 'But a ticket' option when they are searched in the AF online timetable (https://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/lo...es/horaires.do). Does they imply the flight on that day has been taken out of the reservation system and will be cancelled?

Even though this is for a flight at the start of September AFKL refuse catagorically to refund tickets when they cancel a flight (which I experienced from my cancelled KL flights in April). Should I just request a voucher now and assume the August/September holiday is a no-go, rather than waiting for AF to notifiy me 2 weeks (it at all) before departure that the flight is cancelled? That way at least the voucher will expire 12 months from now to wait for its exiry and get the cash back, rather than wait further 12 months from August 2020 to get the cash back?

From what I am reading in the Thailand forums here, although nothing is confirmed yet and things change quickly, is that Thailand might mandate 14 day quarantine for quite along time (currently no entry to non-Thais and 14 day quarantine for returning Thais). If that happens no tourist would go to Thailand.
I have been posting very pessimistic views about the coronavirus in the past couple of months, and unfortunately I was not wrong. But it might be too early to cancel August/September holidays (4 months from now). Four months is long-term history for this crisis. Covid will not go away. But it might be under better control in most countries, and travel restrictions relaxed. Thailand might be as safe as European countries.

AF is planning 60% of its normal operations in August and Bangkok AF166 is three times weekly. TG931 is also three weekly on alternate days. SIN AF256 is daily. Of course, that might change and flights are currently quite empty. But I am not cancelling my August travel yet.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by siw
The LHR-SIN gave the option to 'Buy a ticket'. But that option was not given for the BKK-LHR. Either the flights are fully booked (unlikely) or AF has already made schedule changes but will not notifiy me until two weeks before departure.
Rather than consulting the timetable, you would be best advised to buy tickets using the booking tool.

A timetable is not the place one goes directly to buy a ticket, so you cannot determine that tickets are not available for purchase just because you are not provided with a link to buy.

The booking tool is selling tickets for LHR-SIN in late August and BKK-LHR in early September.
Attached Images  
KLBGO likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:29 am
siw
Original Poster

I booked the ticket at the start of January 2020. I was just looking at the timetable rather than doing a dummy booking, which shows the flights are still there.

I too am now very pessimistic.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked this morning for the flights in early June (SFO-LIS via CDG) I've had booked since late 2019 in the booking engine.
​​​​​​They're still selling tickets (Only 2 seats Left!).
I'm not expecting this flight to fly. Is anyone?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rickg523
I checked this morning for the flights in early June (SFO-LIS via CDG) I've had booked since late 2019 in the booking engine.
​​​​​​They're still selling tickets (Only 2 seats Left!).
I'm not expecting this flight to fly. Is anyone?
Strange indeed -- google flights does not show an SFO-CDG nonstop again until June 29.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
Strange indeed -- google flights does not show an SFO-CDG nonstop again until June 29.
I'm guessing this is a function of the "who cancels first" game. On the app, the flight status calendar only goes 7 days out. So unless they want to, I'm assuming it won't be until then that the flight is officially cancelled.

​​​​​
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
My SFO-CDG flight for Sept. 4 is the newly added 11pm departure and it still shows as valid, but I'm expecting it won't be eventually.
I am on that same flight, we'll see what happens.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: Flyingblue Platinum, All Accor Platinum, M&M Senator
I have an intra European flight operated by HOP in August. Called AF french hotline, they told me that "August flights are not cancelled yet and planning not modified. However major changes will happen and will be communicated in due time"
Old May 5, 2020, 6:50 pm

I have just had an ABZ-CDG-GIG cancellation and it looks like a further reduced service with the 2 flights per day scenario between Paris and Rio Being dropped until August 31st but with this only being 3 days per week after - not sure if it was like this pre Covid 19
Old May 5, 2020, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did AF say when you called to ask whether the flight is cancelled on the specific day in question?

If it has been cancelled, then request a refund. If it has not been cancelled, wait. There is absolutely no reason for you to cancel and be stuck with an interest free loan to AF in the form of a voucher when you can always get that by cancelling at the last minute if indeed the flight operates.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by leemair23
I have just had an ABZ-CDG-GIG cancellation and it looks like a further reduced service with the 2 flights per day scenario between Paris and Rio Being dropped until August 31st but with this only being 3 days per week after - not sure if it was like this pre Covid 19
GIG will be once weekly from 18/06 to 01/07 - subject to change. For sure, it will take a while before they go back to normal schedule (twice daily).
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...50gmt-06may20/
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.