Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG strike impact?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
CDG strike impact?

I'm booked SEA-CDG-AMS on Dec 4th (i.e. connecting through CDG on the 5th) - looks like I'm going to run straight into the ground crew and other strike. I know I should probably just wait and see what AF offers - but if anyone has prior experience or insight into what might transpire, would love to understand. I'm on a one way business class award, but I do need to be in AMS by the night of the 5th. And to make it more interesting, I'm SFO based, so just flying up to SEA on a separate ticket (AS) with a 2 hour connection.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Huh? There's a strike again? I'm flying via CDG on Dec 10th, Dec 20th and Dec 31st but don't see any info on the strike.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
The strike on December 5th is likely to be a big one, and I expect that CDG will be impacted (ground staff, air traffic control). Also, there's no reason to believe the strike will only last one day.
I would avoid CDG on the 5th and the following days. Actually, I had a flight to CDG on the 6th and one from CDG on the 7th, I changed my plans to avoid CDG, and the French Airspace all together!

Article in French: https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...0144_3224.html
Braniff likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your concern is the CDG-AMS flight, you can easily take a train, although trains might be somewhat crowded. IMO the bigger concern would be ATC and ground services. Expect delays and try to avoid checking a bag.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If your concern is the CDG-AMS flight, you can easily take a train, although trains might be somewhat crowded. IMO the bigger concern would be ATC and ground services. Expect delays and try to avoid checking a bag.
This is a national strike, not AF or ATC specific. I doubt that trains will be less affected.
Braniff, gaukuser and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by brunos
This is a national strike, not AF or ATC specific. I doubt that trains will be less affected.
The trains will be very much affected, but the line Paris to Amsterdam is operated by the Thalys train, I don't know if a French strike is going to affect it much (?). You still would need to go from CDG to Gare du Nord though.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by fredo1664
The trains will be very much affected, but the line Paris to Amsterdam is operated by the Thalys train, I don't know if a French strike is going to affect it much (?). You still would need to go from CDG to Gare du Nord though.
And going from CDG to Gare du Nord might be a non-starter: The RER will likely to be affected by the strike, and traffic that much more awful on the highway

I'd look for someway to fly from SEA to AMS without being routed through France.
My money is that AF will offer free changes / rerouting wherever it can, and I wouldn't wait til they issue their fee wavers: I'd get in touch by phone now and point out that you don't, fundamentally, care about the existing routing through Paris. With any luck, they'll find you a SEA-AMS with KLM and you'll be right as rain
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Anyone else have any further insight into the strike? I'm not traveling on Air France but I do have to travel via CDG. I currently have a trip planed to London and Paris. I travel from London via Eurostar (assuming its not canceled ) on Dec 8th and then leave from CDG on AA to DFW on Dec 11th. I also have booked an award flight on BA from LHR to CDG on Dec 11th if I cant make it to Paris in the event that my train is cancelled and I cant rebook or Paris is too much chaos to be worth the trip.

I suppose my main concern is getting around Paris while I'm there and then actually being able to get to CDG for my flight. In addition I know that beyond the expected traffic jams, CDG employees will struggle to get to work which can make it chaotic at the airport.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Eurostar does not take any bookings to London for December 8 because of the strike.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by MorganB
I travel from London via Eurostar (assuming its not canceled ) on Dec 8th .
Eurostar does not take any bookings from and to London for December 8 because of the strike.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Eurostar does not take any bookings from and to London for December 8 because of the strike.
I already have my booking fortunately
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: FB Gold
Really guys, travelling thru or between the major metropolitan areas in France is to be avoided during the latter half of next week. Unless you don't mind dealing with the headache.

SNCF already announced they will no longer sell tickets for the TGV services on 05-08 déc, and that existing ticket holders can swap between the trains that might (will) be perturbed......if they can find another train that runs. And this strike affects a lot of industries beyond transports: hospital workers, police, and a whole bunch of other workers will be participating.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
My understanding is that the national strike day is December 5 - a day where when you're in France you bettre stay at home (unless you want to go and demonstrate in the street), and where you avoid France if you're not there.

However, for subsequent days, the preview is that trains and Paris public transport (RATP) may continue to strike as their strike is an "extendable" one. At the same time, I understand, that things go back to normal on December 6th. Which de fact would mean that ground services in CDG should be up and running, whilst the AF network may still be very disturbed as AF planes and crews are in the wrong places.

Thus, for flying from/to France:
  • on December 5, don't. No airline, no airport
  • on December 6, don't fly Air France. Other airlines are hopefully OK
Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Thus, for flying from/to France:
  • on December 5, don't. No airline, no airport
  • on December 6, don't fly Air France. Other airlines are hopefully OK

ATC strikes affect all airlines, not only AF.

Ground staff issues at airport the airport affect all airlines as well.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Any word on how this will play out over the rest of December? I'm transiting CDG on the 21st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.