Paid Upgrade Business (Affaires) to First (La Premiere)?

Old Aug 28, 19, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Paid Upgrade Business (Affaires) to First (La Premiere)?

I am currently booked in business from BUD-CDG-ATL on a Delta award booking on 9/3/19 and am curious if AF ever offers paid upgrades from Affaires to La Premiere on the Trans Atlantic flight, and if so what I might expect the cost to be, if available. I understand AF688 is A380 and La Premiere not as private as 777, but if the price was right, I might purchase the upgrade. If available, would this be offered at online check-in twenty four hours out, or would it need to happen at the BUD airport? Thank you for your insight.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Yes it may happen at OLCI (30hrs before) or you can ask at the airport in BUD or CDG. Price will be anything between €1800 and 2500. Better to have this sorted out before leaving BUD so you can enjoy the P ground services in CDG.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by johnkel1 View Post
I am currently booked in business from BUD-CDG-ATL on a Delta award booking on 9/3/19 and am curious if AF ever offers paid upgrades from Affaires to La Premiere on the Trans Atlantic flight, and if so what I might expect the cost to be, if available. I understand AF688 is A380 and La Premiere not as private as 777, but if the price was right, I might purchase the upgrade. If available, would this be offered at online check-in twenty four hours out, or would it need to happen at the BUD airport? Thank you for your insight.
Are you able to change your ticket from J to P? I sometimes pay to change my W tickets to J (company only pays for Y or W) and the prices are not dissimilar to some of the upgrade offers that I have received at OLCI. XP are also given for changes in ticket class purchased in this way but not for upgrades.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

PeteM01, I am currently on an award ticket with Delta, so I'm not able to change the ticket, but I will certainly look for the upgrade possibility at the OLCI time (thank you Goldorak).
ebayj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 19, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are award tickets eligible for paid upgrades?? [Never-mind, I see that they are here in the footnotes, for last-minute/on-board, assuming the DL award ticketed is issued for an AF-marketed flight.]

There is a master thread in this forum about paid upgrades; while it's mostly about upgrades to PE or J, there are some specific data points in there about J-to-F upgrades, but Goldorak's post sums it up nicely.
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, BA Gold
I have done this often on AF688/689. It has always been 1400E. They have offered it on every flight that had a seat available, but at the airport for me (DL ticketed.)
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by ATLCDG; Aug 29, 19 at 12:56 pm
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:08 am
Original Poster

As a follow up, at the Air France check-in counter in Budapest, we were offered a paid upgrade to La Premiere at $2400 Euro per person. Seemed a bit steep, so we kept our Affaire seats.
DrivingRain and ATLCDG like this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by PeteM01 View Post
Are you able to change your ticket from J to P? I sometimes pay to change my W tickets to J (company only pays for Y or W) and the prices are not dissimilar to some of the upgrade offers that I have received at OLCI. XP are also given for changes in ticket class purchased in this way but not for upgrades.
I know that this is not strictly relevant to the OP, but I have just upgraded a paid J ticket (subclass Z, a so-called 'promotional fare') to La P (subclass F), MAN-CDG-SIN for just over £1000, one way. I did this through the Platinum Service Line, who waived the ticket change fee as I made the booking and the upgrade during the same call. This price is considerably less than the last offer that I received for an OLCI J-P upgrade (~£1500, if I remember correctly), which comes with no extra XP. Somewhat excited for this birthday treat in 2020!
rosensfole and Goldorak like this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 2:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
it was about $1700 for a CDG-SFO leg for me. Upgrade done in the lounge.

Search this Thread