Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France vs Delta Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Air France vs Delta Economy

I'll be traveling to Paris in February. I have the option thru Air France to fly on Air France A380 or Delta A330-300. Does anyone know how comfortable economy seats are between both airlines? And, in-flight services.

Thank you!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Hello! Do you have any ST Elite plus card? As a KL Platinum I would always choose to fly (Y) on AF/KL on DL stock, mostly because in a hope for cheap upgrade at check in. A380 upstairs isn't bad, main deck definitely sucks. DL can upgrade you to seat in main cabin with better legroom (I did quite a few flights between NA and SA vv)d. The food I'd say is identical. A330 will be boarded faster so more time in lounge and less time on arrival. If no status I would go for Delta.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply back. I'm being booked on a Economy V class ticket. The card i have is AM Platinum with just travel reimbursements on luggage fees.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
See this discussion on this forum some time ago.

The only reason why it might make sense to pick A380 is if you can score a seat on the upper deck, and had not had such an experience before. Otherwise, choosing a DL 2-4-2 over AF's 3-4-3 is a no-brainer; unless you travel in a party of three OR you value a glass of free champagne over everything else
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Why don’t you try both, one outbound and one inbound ?
Old May 2, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
DL changed my economy (AF operated) flight DL1015 JFK-CDG in the A380 to DL262 in the A333 today. I had exit row seats in the upper deck of the A380 and can now also select exit row seats on the A333 (row 27) for my companion and me.

Would you suggest to call DL to have the original AF flight reinstated or should I stick to the new flight in the A333? What are my chances to make that happen anyway? I am FB Gold.

Timewise it does not make a big difference: one hour less waiting time in JFK, one hour more in CDG.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by HeartFist
DL changed my economy (AF operated) flight DL1015 JFK-CDG in the A380 to DL262 in the A333 today. I had exit row seats in the upper deck of the A380 and can now also select exit row seats on the A333 (row 27) for my companion and me.

Would you suggest to call DL to have the original AF flight reinstated or should I stick to the new flight in the A333? What are my chances to make that happen anyway? I am FB Gold.

Timewise it does not make a big difference: one hour less waiting time in JFK, one hour more in CDG.
They changed your flight ? This is really strange. Could it be that the AF flight is cancelled or operated with a smaller aircraft leading to pax rebooked preventively ?
Old May 3, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

They changed your flight ? This is really strange. Could it be that the AF flight is cancelled or operated with a smaller aircraft leading to pax rebooked preventively ?
Yes, they changed the flight which takes place in December. I checked Delta's website and for my flight date I could still book the AF operated DL1015 so it has not been cancelled. Also MCT cannot be a problem (plenty of time for connections). Overall really strange in my opinion. I think I will call Delta and see what they can offer. I rather departed a little later in JFK than waiting more time in CDG.

Edit: called Delta and asked to have DL1015 with more connection time in JFK reinstated instead of accepting DL262. This was denied claiming the computer wouldn't allow it since I am still able to make all of my connections (sufficient MCT). If I wanted to change it would be a voluntary change involving change fee and fare difference, even though the flights deviate from the ones I booked. Did not try HUACA yet. Opinions?

Last edited by HeartFist; May 3, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old May 3, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Ah, this is for a flight in December. I thought it was today (I wrongly interpreted the word “today” in your 1st post). This is really weird if the AF flight is not cancelled this day. It’s them who changed your flight without reason apparently, so if you want it back, it is not a voluntary change as you just want to stick to your original booking. I would definitely try the HUCA strategy.
HeartFist likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:55 pm

I contacted Delta via Facebook and they were able to reinstate the AF flight, however issuing it as AF0007 instead of DL1015. Also they were not able to give me the original seat assignments free of charge. Luckily the FB hotline put me back in exit row of the upper deck for free even though I am not Platinum anymore (used to be at time of booking).

Will I get less miles now that part of the itinerary is on AF numbers instead of DL? Out of curiosity, how will AF determine the ticket price to take as a basis for the miles calculation since DL sold me the ticket?

All in all an unsatisfactory and totally unnecessary experience caused by Delta.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I contacted Delta via Facebook and they were able to reinstate the AF flight, however issuing it as AF0007 instead of DL1015. Also they were not able to give me the original seat assignments free of charge. Luckily the FB hotline put me back in exit row of the upper deck for free even though I am not Platinum anymore (used to be at time of booking).
Very good. But be prepared for this seat assignment to eventually not stay (for free).

Will I get less miles now that part of the itinerary is on AF numbers instead of DL? Out of curiosity, how will AF determine the ticket price to take as a basis for the miles calculation since DL sold me the ticket?
only you can know that (we don’t know in which fare you were booked originally and we don’t know how much you paid before tax +YQ). Are you now with all AF flight numbers (even for your return trip) ? If you are under AF codes, AF has access to the price. They have also access to the info even if you are under DL codes, thanks to the JV arrangements, but they don’t want to use that “card” at the moment.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:21 pm

Very good. But be prepared for this seat assignment to eventually not stay (for free).

Well I hope not! On which grounds would they change it?

only you can know that (we don’t know in which fare you were booked originally) and we don’t know how much you paid before tax +YQ. Are you now with all AF flight numbers (even for your return trip) ? If you are under AF codes, AF has access to the price. They have also access to the info even if you are under DL codes, thanks to the JV arrangements, but they don’t want to use that “card” at the moment.
Only the last two flights are under AF numbers now. Old fare used to be X (DL Main Cabin), new one is R (AF). I am aware we are not talking about a significant miles amount anyway but it is still annoying.

And btw: thanks a lot for your continuous help, Goldorak... not only in this thread!
Old May 3, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Well I hope not! On which grounds would they change it?
because you are not Platinum anymore, so it’s normally not free. Again, I am not saying it will happen, but it can happen. But maybe they will keep it as a courtesy for your inconveniences. Crossing my fingers for you.

And btw: thanks a lot for your continuous help, Goldorak... not only in this thread!
you are very welcome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.