Wiki Posts
Search

New destination - Irkutsk, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
New destination - Irkutsk, anyone?

Spotted this just now in Irkutsk. Here's the story (Google translated from here originally in Russian - http://sia.ru/?section=484&action=show_news&id=367019&_utl_t=fb& fbclid=IwAR2RVvSG_t0A39nHBqZT6KpLaHWP94_uswfgx0G_l O88BcTXsKvshljJHMo)

"Trapped in Siberia." Due to the breakdown of two Boeing, a team of art directors of Louis Vuitton cannot leave Irkutsk

November 13, 2018The whole of Irkutsk is following the adventures of the French, who happened to be in our city by chance. Recall that on the afternoon of November 11, the Boeing 777 aircraft, heading from Paris to Shanghai, was forced to land in Irkutsk due to smoke in the cockpit. In the plane were 280 people, including crew members. No harm done.

Flight passengers were accommodated in hotels in the city. Without a Russian visa, they can not leave the territory of hotels. SIA.RU portal has learned that a team of art directors of the Louis Vuitton French fashion house is currently located in the Angara Hotel on Kirov Square. Among them are Corinne Lee ( @corinneinparis ), Michela Rossetti (@at_mr ) and Agnes Le Coroller ( @agnes_lc ).They share their experiences on the Instagram network. SIA.RU chose the most vivid quotes that convey the fullness of the feelings of people who happened to be in Irkutsk
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Apparently, AF sent another rescue plane that also got into technical problems!
French forced to endure London pub in Irkutsk as they are ?stuck in Siberia? after emergency landing

-22 Celcius. Not the kind of clothes and shoes you currently wear in Paris or Shanghai (+19).

https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.ch...uck-in-siberia
https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/a...ht-november-10

There would have been three AF 777 on the ground at IKT, a rare sight.
Apparently AF4192 just landed in PVG
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Nov 14, 2018 at 1:39 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Apparently, AF sent another rescue plane that also got into technical problems!
French forced to endure London pub in Irkutsk as they are ?stuck in Siberia? after emergency landing

-22 Celcius. Not the kind of clothes and shoes you currently wear in Paris or Shanghai (+19).

https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.ch...uck-in-siberia
https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/a...ht-november-10

There would have been three AF 777 on the ground at IKT, a rare sight.
Apparently AF4192 just landed in PVG
We all got some flight delay/cancellation. But this sounds really bad. A night in the plane at the airport, finally some hotel after an agreement with Russian authorities conditioned on not leaving hotel, a trip back to airport to discover that that flight is also grounded, back to hotel, ....
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
3 AF B777 in IKT, this is something I was expecting with all the FT crowds flying AF mistake fares

[PREM FARE GONE] Scandinavia - Irkutsk,Russia. Return via TLV/IST. SkyTeam, 710 EUR
brunos, Xizm, B0gdan and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

I actually spotted the second one upon take off to Moscow but alas never got a chance to snap a photo!

needless to say, even the rest of my flight were slightly curious about an AF plane being in their boxy regional airport!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I wonder what it would have been like if you actually did have a visa, such as the Fan ID which currently gives unlimited visa free entry to Russia. This is why I always pack something, like a sweater or a coat and enough underwear, if I am flying over cold places like that. Should do it anyway, in case baggage goes missing.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
That'll be one to tell the grandkids about. Who needs a lounge when you've got the London pub? 😂🍷
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
I wonder what it would have been like if you actually did have a visa, such as the Fan ID which currently gives unlimited visa free entry to Russia. This is why I always pack something, like a sweater or a coat and enough underwear, if I am flying over cold places like that. Should do it anyway, in case baggage goes missing.
Then one could have driven to Baikal in about an hour
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
I love this story
Takes me back to my trip around Baikal and in the mountains last winter, some very fond memories.
skyhighlander likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by danfl44
I love this story
Takes me back to my trip around Baikal and in the mountains last winter, some very fond memories.
My thoughts exactly!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:17 am

Even the New York Times had something to say about it, how embarrassing for Air France : https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/w...t-siberia.html
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It must also have created some serious scheduling disturbances with three 777 devoted to the incident.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
It must also have created some serious scheduling disturbances with three 777 devoted to the incident.
Indeed. In AF language, it means "tensions flottes" all around !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.