Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Have New Parafe Facial Recognition Gates Speeded up Things at CDG Arrival/Departures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have New Parafe Facial Recognition Gates Speeded up Things at CDG Arrival/Departures?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I see that there are now PARAFE machines at CDG that use facial recognition (the old machines use fingerprints.) https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...ossing-borders

Have the new machines had any effect on waiting times on incoming or outgoing passport control?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I see that there are now PARAFE machines at CDG that use facial recognition (the old machines use fingerprints.) https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...ossing-borders

Have the new machines had any effect on waiting times on incoming or outgoing passport control?
Went through Parafe machine last 15 August.

- was told it was for French passport only
- used fingerprints only

Arghhhh. So ashamed of being French.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The situation is much better than it used to be. I have seen some crowded moments but no obscene chaos as it was every day last year.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: Many
Agreed: the situation has drastically improved, specially on early morning arrivals at 2E.
From time to time the Parafe are all closed though.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Yes, things have improved. Especially since some of the PARAFE machines are dedicated to the SKYPRIORITY lane, both at departure and arrival 2E, unlike before where you had to gamble whether the SKYPRIORITY lane or the PARAFE line would be faster. Also, PARAFE machines at the transfer points between 2E and 2F.

\\
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Went through Parafe machine last 15 August.

- was told it was for French passport only
Wrong. I have on occasions used it with a non-French passport. It's just the usual carelessness which leads them to give you wrong information. The signs clearly say "EU/EEA" (and to be correct they should say "EU/EEA/CH", but again, things are done à-peu-près). Still, the people manning the entrance ask "passeport français?". Just like the people at T1 at the security control of the satellite used by LH/LX/LO/A3, who ask you "Sky?" when you approach the fast lane, probably meaning SKYPRIORITY which is what they must have learned during their training, despite no Skyteam carrier flying from there.

In all those situations: just smile, say yes, and ignore them.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Just like the people at T1 at the security control of the satellite used by LH/LX/LO/A3, who ask you "Sky?" when you approach the fast lane, probably meaning SKYPRIORITY which is what they must have learned during their training, despite no Skyteam carrier flying from there.
You mean they have not been trained to say Accès Numero 1 ? Such a shame for such an obvious name for Priority Lane
Goldorak likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Yes, things have improved. Especially since some of the PARAFE machines are dedicated to the SKYPRIORITY lane, both at departure and arrival 2E, unlike before where you had to gamble whether the SKYPRIORITY lane or the PARAFE line would be faster. Also, PARAFE machines at the transfer points between 2E and 2F.

\\

Wrong. I have on occasions used it with a non-French passport. It's just the usual carelessness which leads them to give you wrong information. The signs clearly say "EU/EEA" (and to be correct they should say "EU/EEA/CH", but again, things are done à-peu-près). Still, the people manning the entrance ask "passeport français?". Just like the people at T1 at the security control of the satellite used by LH/LX/LO/A3, who ask you "Sky?" when you approach the fast lane, probably meaning SKYPRIORITY which is what they must have learned during their training, despite no Skyteam carrier flying from there.

It seems that they now have fingerprint gates and facial recognition gates. As I understand it, the fingerprint gates can be used by any EU/EEA/CH passport that has embedded fingerpint info (German passports have it, British passports don't.)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
NCE has facial recognition PARAFE gates too and I must say that they work like a charm! Can be used by all EU passports as far as I can tell.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
One more reason to be ashamed of (my) being French.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
NCE has facial recognition PARAFE gates too and I must say that they work like a charm! Can be used by all EU passports as far as I can tell.
I expect these are the same as are common across the EU. Work well with any EU biometric passport.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I expect these are the same as are common across the EU. Work well with any EU biometric passport.
Strangely enough there are lots of different models/makers all with slight differences. The ones at LHR/LCY are different from the ones you get at HEL, which are different from the ones you get at AMS, which are different from the ones you get in Eurostar terminals, etc. It's almost crazy! You can see a picture of the ones installed at NCE here: https://www.nice.aeroport.fr/Passage...ssance-faciale
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum - Royal Orchid Gold - Accor A-Club Platinum
Last Thursday morning (9am), there was a crazy amount of people stucked at immigration at 2E. Lanes were reaching the connection part of the terminal. Access n1 was ok though... and the most amazing part is that Parafe machines were completely empty (because no line was leading to them). The 2 employees waiting there were just talking to one another, not guiding any customers to the machines.

Well, next time you arrive, try to move directly to the machines. It is probably going to be the same.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:02 am

Having arrived this morning from JNB and being bussed to the terminal, I must say that the experience is simply horrible.
First queue - try to get into the terminal, the 2 automatic doors keep on closing because on the inside there is a massive queue to 2A/C/D/G security.
Second "queue" - try to get past above queue to get upstairs, just to have to fight your way through people queueing for immigration to connect to 2E-L/M

Getting to 2E-L, normal security queue screen shows 30 minutes wait time, Access No1 was ok-ish with only 2 lanes open and it took about 10 minutes.

On the bright side of things, the flight was fantastic and I really like the new 2E-L lounge,
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I tried the new e-gates on 2E departures yesterday (with facial recognition). Worked well but I found them as slow as the old PARAFE gates.
What’s good is that they have put some on the SkyP side, but only 3. Better than nothing of course as they come on top as those of the regular lanes.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:04 am

I just used these machines to get from 2F to 2E-M and the experience was pretty smooth. The machine took its sweet time to read my passport but other than that I have no issues. There was no line to speak of for the machines while the booths did have a bunch of people queued up (even EU/EER).

Last edited by CyBeR; Sep 14, 2018 at 3:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.