Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

CDG-ABV-PHC is plagued by delays, cancellations, and frequent schedule changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)

From experience I can report that CDG-ABV-PHC and vv. is plagued by delays, cancellations, and frequent schedule changes. In the past months there hasn't been a week without some kind of "surprise", and its was already pretty flaky before that. The route is operated by A330. The reasons for the issues are a bit vague, but they seem to be linked to the operational availability of A330's since the strikes. For some reason AF chooses to target this route to deal with operational A330 issues. This is especially strange when you consider that it's a very expensive route, and there is direct competition from LH. The problems have driven me (and others) happily in the arms of LH, whilst I see the unreliability of AF on this route getting worse and worse!
Does anybody have an idea what's going on?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I guess there is a correlation between the deafening silence in this thread, and the reason why AF chooses a route like this to absorb chronic operational issues with their A330's.
If this would happen on CDG-JFK the thread would have been 50+ posts long by now!
af fp and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: FB Plat
According to press, Air France has to cancel around 6 to 20 flights per day this summer due to shortages, and mostly long-haul ones, as a consequence of the last strike.

Source: Le Parisien : Vols Annulés, Air France en surchauffe (French)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
According to press, Air France has to cancel around 6 to 20 flights per day this summer due to shortages, and mostly long-haul ones, as a consequence of the last strike.

Source: Le Parisien : Vols Annulés, Air France en surchauffe (French)
Interesting. Thanks for this!

« Il y a mille vols long-courriers par jour chez Air France. 97,7 % ont été assurés en juin et juillet. »

Sounds like an almost acceptable statistic, but it's not so great if it becomes less than 75% as was the case to ABV and PHC in July! All Tuesday flights were systematically cancelled from 5 down to 4 flights a week. This was cunningly presented as a schedule change, which probably doesn't show up in these statistics. Then quite a few seemingly random cancellations and operational delays were added to that.

« Mais la situation s’améliore ».

That seems to be the case, there were no new surprises in the previous week. But I've lost confidence already a while ago.

Last edited by Zembla; Aug 1, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
This might be a question that’s already been answered in other threads, but I’m on holiday and too lazy to search. Are AF also suffering from pilot shortage like a lot of other airlines? There seems to be a fair amount of airlines who’ve been hit, with cancelled flights the result.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
This might be a question that’s already been answered in other threads, but I’m on holiday and too lazy to search. Are AF also suffering from pilot shortage like a lot of other airlines? There seems to be a fair amount of airlines who’ve been hit, with cancelled flights the result.
Hop suffers from pilot shortage, but not AF.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
Interesting. Thanks for this!

« Il y a mille vols long-courriers par jour chez Air France. 97,7 % ont été assurés en juin et juillet. »

Sounds like an almost acceptable statistic, but it's not so great if it becomes less than 75% as was the case to ABV and PHC in July! All Tuesday flights were systematically cancelled from 5 down to 4 flights a week. This was cunningly presented as a schedule change, which probably doesn't show up in these statistics. Then quite a few seemingly random cancellations and operational delays were added to that.

« Mais la situation s’améliore ».

That seems to be the case, there were no new surprises in the previous week. But I've lost confidence already a while ago.
In addition, many flights suffered huge delays due to shortage.
Again, my golf buddies mention that some SNPL pilots are keeping pressure by showing inflexibility in scheduling or overtime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.