Checked baggage on Light fares and skyteam elite plus

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Checked baggage on Light fares and skyteam elite plus

About to purchase CDG-FCO (on Joon).

AF website says:
"Baggage allowance is not included in the fare you selected.
Are you a Flying Blue Silver, Gold or Platinum member? You can check in one baggage item (maximum 23 kg / 50 lb kg / 23 kg / 50 lb lb) at no extra charge. To take advantage, remember to enter your Flying Blue card number in the login area."

I'm already logged in with my SkyMiles number. Does it mean Elite Plus do not get a free piece of checked baggage ?
Old May 27, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Yes, you have a free bag thanks to your Elite status in the alliance through DL.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: FB Plat
The free luggage perk can be buggy sometimes. Booking a LYS->YYZ return, the Flying Blue added luggage was displayed on the outbound flight but not on the return before payment, while after payment the amount of luggages on both the outbound and the return was correct (free luggage for both).

Last edited by Zarmakuizz; May 28, 2018 at 5:49 am
Old May 28, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Don't worry about what the website says, as long as your ST E or E+ status is valid, you can get a bag no problem.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Oneworld sapphire (IB)
At some stations they seem to have a problem with it ( at least in April).
I was charged 90 CAD at Toronto in April though being Delta Elite Plus.
I had to talk with the supervisor and then was able to check-in without extra costs.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Is there any more recent experience as to how the Light Fare baggage allowance for ST status holders is interpreted? My wife (Silver) and I (Plat) have a booked an itinerary (through AF) involving Air France, Air Europa and FlyBe, partly to visit our son in Spain and partly as an XP run to get my wife to Gold! The reservation confirmation email shows (bizarrely) 1 piece of check-in baggage for my wife but none for me, whereas the ticket states 'aucun bagage' for both of us. The AF app also shows 'no baggage' for both and no opportuniity even to buy an allowance...While this is not a major issue for us, it might be handy to have the option of check-in baggage if we need to transport some things for our son.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:22 pm

The rules have not changed.
kthomas likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Do benefits extend to family members traveling with me? Thanks!
Old May 25, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Do benefits extend to family members traveling with me? Thanks!
No.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by CyBeR
The rules have not changed.
Any change since this post? Can a SkyTeam Elite Plus check one bag up to 23kg on a Lite fare? If so, what is the cost of a second bag up to 23kg, flying LYS-xCDG-TUN (overnight in CDG). On the Air France website I could only find an option to view baggage prices after entering the booking reference, but I don't want to purchase a fare if I'm going to be slugged EUR100 for a bag.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: FB Plat
Yes, you will have an extra bag for free as STE+ even on a Lite fare (0+1=1), at least when you travel on flights operated by Skyteam airlines. Make sure you travel with your physical FF card and do not necessarily trust the AF website which is quite buggy in this case, especially if you travel on codeshared flights.

If you want an additionnal bag, you will have to pay for the "second bag" fee which may be way more expensive than buying a Standard fare and then have the second bag for free with your status.

I remember having read a thread here on FT in which someone mentioned that you could buy a Lite fare (without entering your FF number), buy a "first" bag (with the first bag fee) and then entering your FF number to have the second bag for free, instead of entering your FF number at booking time which would make the final bill more expensive. But I do not know if the trick is still working or not.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:42 am

Do you have to enter your FF# during booking in order to get a free bag, or can you just show your frequent flyer card at checkin?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Do you have to enter your FF# during booking in order to get a free bag, or can you just show your frequent flyer card at checkin?
It's better to put it in during the reservation process so it's in the system.

Otherwise at an outstation, the person at the desk would have to put it in anyway when you show the card, the system might not respond properly, person has to find a supervisor, blah blah blah.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Just take care you dont have a transavia leg which sometimes KL likes to market. All other "sub-airlines" are legit.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Just take care you dont have a transavia leg which sometimes KL likes to market. All other "sub-airlines" are legit.
If the Transavia flight is KL-coded, and part of a broader KL itinerary, I do get the luggage allowance, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.