Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to check in unaccompanied minor at CDG 2E?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Where to check in unaccompanied minor at CDG 2E?

Sending the kids off as UMs from 2E.

Is there a dedicated UM counter at 2E? I have never seen one, but just asking. Otherwise I'd just use the SkyPriority counters, their tickets are award tickets sponsored by me and (unlike recent tickets sponsored for someone else flying on Delta) do show the SkyPriority sign.

Thanks.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Apr 20, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
San Gottardo Would you mind sharing the answer to the question you posed ?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Sure, with pleasure.

In in fact in true Air France style it was a bit messy:
  • Asked at the welcome desk of the Skypriority check-in are where to check-in, staff there told me we should check-in right there, so we stood in line.
  • After 15 Minutes, at the counter, a very authoritative AF person told us in a way that suggested that it was our fault that there is no way we could check in here. We would have to go “down”, without saying where exactly, as that would be where they’d *always* check in UMs
  • Downstairs we asked our way through, misdirected a few times by AF staff (to upstairs, to the counter where UMs are picked up, etc) to finally find the right check-in zone. It was on arrivals level, by door 16
  • Once there, the staff there told us that the counter was closed and “never” opened before (I think 9am) and that we’d have to go upstairs. This despite five or six AF staff there, computers booted and all ready to go, and the official opening time in only ten minutes
  • One of the staff then showed some common sense and “opened” the counter.
  • There was some confusion about the paper work, I basically had to explain them which papers they needed (pickup form, permit for kids to leave the country, parent’s passport photocopy), which I had all brought along. They insisted that they wouldn’t need the parent passport photocopy and binned it
  • A very nice AF agent took the kids and off they went
  • 10 Minutes later I received a call from that AF agent, asking me to return so that they can take a photocopy of my passport
The takeaway for you is:
  • The counter is on the arrivals level by door 16. At least at certain times
  • Know what you are doing and what is needed, because they may not know
  • Take plenty of extra time, because you may need to spend it on wrong information and otherwise clueless staff
One more word of caution: this UM check-in counter *seems* to be open only during French vacation periods, at least the people there said they *thought* that was the case.

Sorry I cannot share any more robust information, but this is as reliable as it gets with AF. Still I hope it's somewhat useful.

PS: in 2F, the check-in counter for UMs is all the way to the left when entering the terminal.
bodory likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
The takeaway for you is:
  • Take plenty of extra time, because you may need to spend it on wrong information and otherwise clueless staff
One more word of caution: this UM check-in counter *seems* to be open only during French vacation periods, at least the people there said they *thought* that was the case.

Sorry I cannot share any more robust information, but this is as reliable as it gets with AF. Still I hope it's somewhat useful.

PS: in 2F, the check-in counter for UMs is all the way to the left when entering the terminal.
Thanks for the information ^

And too bad I read the thread too late as I could have pointed you to the arrivals level directly. Not sure it would have been of any help though given all the subtleties you had to deal with and that I was not aware of.

Re 2F: last summer it was in the middle of the left banks ; so I guess another AF subtlety.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Sure, with pleasure.

In in fact in true Air France style it was a bit messy:
  • Asked at the welcome desk of the Skypriority check-in are where to check-in, staff there told me we should check-in right there, so we stood in line.
  • After 15 Minutes, at the counter, a very authoritative AF person told us in a way that suggested that it was our fault that there is no way we could check in here. We would have to go “down”, without saying where exactly, as that would be where they’d *always* check in UMs
  • Downstairs we asked our way through, misdirected a few times by AF staff (to upstairs, to the counter where UMs are picked up, etc) to finally find the right check-in zone. It was on arrivals level, by door 16
  • Once there, the staff there told us that the counter was closed and “never” opened before (I think 9am) and that we’d have to go upstairs. This despite five or six AF staff there, computers booted and all ready to go, and the official opening time in only ten minutes
  • One of the staff then showed some common sense and “opened” the counter.
  • There was some confusion about the paper work, I basically had to explain them which papers they needed (pickup form, permit for kids to leave the country, parent’s passport photocopy), which I had all brought along. They insisted that they wouldn’t need the parent passport photocopy and binned it
  • A very nice AF agent took the kids and off they went
  • 10 Minutes later I received a call from that AF agent, asking me to return so that they can take a photocopy of my passport
The takeaway for you is:

Thank you so much. This is immensely helpful.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

AF has improved something: for a UM departure today they sent me an email yesterday to say that CKI would happen at counter 20 on the arrivals level. Really ^, no more wondering and wandering around 2E.

But because they are on a mission to make things complicated and unreliable, they ended up telling me at the counter that the information given on the AF site and on the UM form is wrong. On the site and on the forms it says that you need 2 copies of the form for a direct flight. Wrong. They want three. And obviously they don't have a photocopying machine in their back office, so you have to fill it out again.

So for all of you sending off your kids on UM this summer with AF: if you fill in the form with the UM data (person picking up from the airport, flight number, etc) - just print out a couple of more copies at home, you never know what they'll have come up with next time.
Goldorak, bodory and Braniff like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Many
Thanks very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.