Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone ever get complimentary upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
I guess that now that AF sells upgrades at check-in, op-up opportunities are much more rare than before ? If they need to clear some overload in the Y cabin, they just have to propose an attractive upgrade price.
canadavid likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: FB Gold
In my 4 years of silver and 18 months of gold I have only been upgraded twice, both as a silver. Once on WX-operated ORY-LCY route (I believe it was actually Premium Class or whatever they call it, haven't flown WX since the AF codeshare ended) and on once on a KLM-operated AMS-VIE flight because the flight attendant mistakenly spilled hot tea on my laps (not a pleasant experience but also got 70 euro voucher as an apology).
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I don't think I received an op-up at all but had some paid upgrade availability (took those from Y/W -> J on old rules). Doesn't matter, on the upcoming trip I have on AF / KL there's nothing to upgrade to anyway

Last edited by Sjondorn; Apr 11, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lewis42
I get regular upgrades to J for short hops within the EU.

Whether from BHX / LHR / DUS to AMS / CDG or vica versa.

I am Plat and for shorthaul just by the cheapest Y tickets.
Same whenever it's oversold in Y. Tbh I hate it when they calculate just right and there's not a single seat available in Y but no op-up were needed or J was already full. I almost always score one of the very few remaining empty seat next to me.

I got 1 op-up to PE on CDG-JFK and another unofficial on the same route: the PE section was half empty and needed power for my laptop to work (A380 has no power in Y) so the purser allowed me to move up after the food service. Nothing like using 3 PE seats, 2 screens to get work done!
Morality, being Plat and asking nicely can go a long way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.